It's sad watching ASUS Tech Support going down the tubes!

When I received my ASUS Geforce RTX 3080 OC 12 GB graphics card there was no documentation at all in the box.

After installing it, I noticed none of the 3 fans were spinning.  I could not find any info about if the fans are thermostatically controlled, so I called support to ask them.

I was told its a hardware problem and send it back

Meanwhile I saw something on-line about Tweak II softwear. The Asus site now has Tweak III.  So I d/l that and there was a 0db switch that i turned off and guess what!!!  The 3 fans started working!!

But Tweak III only showed 2 fans....  So I asked ASUS for a manual on this software.  They sent me the Tweak II manual!  I had hung up already and went to the On-Line chat to ask for the Tweak3 manual.  After being multiple links, none of which had a manual i quit.

Is anyone familiar with Tweak III and can tell me about setting parameters for the 3 fans on my graphics card?  Thank You

Can I ask why you even bother with documentation and tech support in this case? Most if not all cards these days will have 0 fan mode where funs would idle until GPU reaches 50-55%. so the first thing you should've done it to put some GPU load and see what happens with the fans and GPU temps.

There is no point in using any software unless you're doing manual overclock, in which case its better to use MSI Afterburner.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

8 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Can I ask why you even bother with documentation and tech support in this case? Most if not all cards these days will have 0 fan mode where funs would idle until GPU reaches 50-55%. so the first thing you should've done it to put some GPU load and see what happens with the fans and GPU temps.

Can I ask you why you'd assume that someone is born with this knowledge?

Also, yes indeed, ASUS support is garbage. Their software is garbage too. And unfortunately, that's about the best one we have. And the moment people start justifying that bullshit is the moment we're giving up on better products. So honestly mad respect to open this thread. I'm honestly mad at myself for not complaining about this bullshit more often.

14 minutes ago, Samoyed said:

Is anyone familiar with Tweak III and can tell me about setting parameters for the 3 fans on my graphics card?  Thank You

Unfortunately not and I recommend to not install that software.

ASUS also offers AISuite 3.0 or whatever it is called and the experiences I've made with that software was enough to not bother with any of ASUS' software ever again. If you want to control the fans of your GPU, I'd recommend anything else. Even MSI Afterburner is miles ahead of what ASUS offers.

I think the TweakIII software is showing you the fan "systems." Generally on a three fan card, the two exterior fans spin in one direction, while the center interior fan spins the opposite way. There are several benefits according to the manufacturers to this operation configuration. However, the exterior fans are set to operate at the same speed, so they only show as a single fan system.

I guess I don't really know what kind of documentation you'd expect or want? I don't think I've had a GPU come with documentation in the dozen years I've been building PC's.

As others have said, GPU's stopping the fans when under low load is so common now that it's not even really advertised as a feature anymore (for a while Gigabyte had the words "FAN STOP" light up on the side of their cards, it was very cheesy). This reduces noise and wear on the fans. There is no need to mess around with GPU Tweak or any other software to change this or anything else about how the fans operate unless you are actually having temperature or noise problems. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I guess I don't really know what kind of documentation you'd expect or want? I don't think I've had a GPU come with documentation in the dozen years I've been building PC's.

A sticker like that is the bare minimum I would expect. They even used to be on GPUs when it was still a new feature.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c134421027541682f791573a90cc7df.jpeg

On 12/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, Middcore said:

As others have said, GPU's stopping the fans when under low load is so common now that it's not even really advertised as a feature anymore (for a while Gigabyte had the words "FAN STOP" light up on the side of their cards, it was very cheesy). This reduces noise and wear on the fans. There is no need to mess around with GPU Tweak or any other software to change this or anything else about how the fans operate unless you are actually having temperature or noise problems. 

I had seen the feature mentioned on some cards and not others.  I assume nothing anymore.  Heck I can't even get a pizza delivered in a reasonable amount of time and at a reasonable temperature anymore.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, Middcore said:

It's been a long while since I built a new system, so I'm a bit behind on how much companies can get away with these days.