I accidentally printed a naked photo of myself on my workplace's printer. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Randel1980

So I accidentally printed a naked photo of myself. It was sent from my personal laptop to a Canon Pixma G3020. I took it out and destroyed it. No one can access to my laptop but everyone has access to the printer.

I recently learned that many modern printers may have built- in memory, will someone be able to recover it?

I personally would "accidentally" print a bunch of old or soon to be useful papers to bury it just in case. Since this could end in a *serious manner.

*Extremely serious like law suit serious

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I wouldn't worry. I used to do pentesting, and one of the most common ways into networks were the printers. Why? Because admins didn't pay any attention to them, they often didn't bother to change the default login credentials. While it's possible a work environment might monitor network traffic that closely, I'd say from a practical perspective (and in my experience) it's unlikely.

Well...., time to regularly check some subreddit & chans I guess ?
Atleast until 2024

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

if you got to pick it up before anyone noticed, i wouldn't worry too much. They are hardly going through every print, unless you have done something that leads to an investigation in what you print and how much of it (like if you use company printers for printing a whole book from pdf), or someone found the print and reported it so they trace the specific print.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

58 minutes ago, Randel1980 said:

So I accidentally printed a naked photo of myself. It was sent from my personal laptop to a Canon Pixma G3020. I took it out and destroyed it. No one can access to my laptop but everyone has access to the printer.

I recently learned that many modern printers may have built- in memory, will someone be able to recover it?

They can, but they won't.

Dumbass.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

As far as I know in my company only think IT can monitor is names of files you print and how many pages you do. So think no-one will go manually check what did you print on that one page.

4 minutes ago, Polarr bearr said:

As far as I know in my company only think IT can monitor is names of files you print and how many pages you do. So think no-one will go manually check what did you print on that one page.

"printed 300 copies of dickpic.jpeg" 

15 minutes ago, Polarr bearr said:

Just checked.  At my office, we can go into Print Jobs and reprint anything we want.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Randel1980 said:

I am just baffled by why you would print a nude photo of yourself.

I doubt someone will get the image from the built in printer. I would be more worried about the print server you may be using. But it all depends on which printer and how the printing is configured at your job. We have no idea about any of that info so we can't even begin to guess.

52 minutes ago, gravitywave said:

I wouldn't worry. I used to do pentesting, and one of the most common ways into networks were the printers. Why? Because admins didn't pay any attention to them, they often didn't bother to change the default login credentials. While it's possible a work environment might monitor network traffic that closely, I'd say from a practical perspective (and in my experience) it's unlikely.

I don't really see how anything you said is relevant here.

1) If no admin paid attention to them then chances are higher that some random employee might be able to access the printer and the memory, since they won't be locked down and printing won't be secure.

2) The issue here isn't someone sniffing network traffic to see the file as it is transmitted. The risk here is that the image file is saved in a location that is accessible by others, such as the printer itself or the print server.

I agree that the likelihood of someone finding the image is small, but I completely disagree with your reasoning why.

I just imagined the print getting burned onto a roller, so there's just a faint outline of it on every print job from that moment on...

I cannot speak to having nude selfies. I'm ugly AF, asexual, and have no interest in... That stuff, so I've never bothered with this kind of thing. But, having it at work would seem to be a big 'nope' from me, that's on you for doing it, and maybe you will learn to keep this stuff where it belongs, in private and not at work.

Now, if you were photocopying your bum cheeks as a gag, I could get behind that...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Depends on the printer and its configuration or other attributes of the workplace network.

Where I work all the printers previous jobs are logged primarily for the purpose of timestamping, and they are visible. Mainly because 99% of what we print are inbound or outbound freight manifests, so it’s useful to see when they were printed at times.

So there is a chance that yes, your nude is somewhere and visible.

Actually cached on the printer? Almost certainly not, maybe if you have settings enabled on the printer to save the last few jobs for reprints.

But the bigger chance of it being saved anywhere is if your workplace logs print jobs.

The core problem here is your are mingling your person digital life with the work life.   You should never let your personal devices access your work environment and vice versa.  Keep these things separate.  

There are plenty of reasons for this.  

- If your "personal" photos can some how end up on a corporate system then the company can effectively see everything. This can be used against you. Your chats, emails and photo's can all be used against you. In most parts of the world this is perfectly legal.

- The office network might as well be the kiddies splash pool.  It's filled with toxic waste.  Corporate networks are usually the most infected and generally unsafe places to have compute. The number of managers that let their toddlers click on every little blinking thing on the corporate machine always stuns me.
- The mixing of work and pleasure in the same place can lead to burn out.  It's an always on work culture.  It's just not healthy.
- Accidents happen,  And these sorts of accidents can be avoided, but these accidents can have serious consequences for your work career.  Example.  If someone else saw that on the printer,  well you could be brought up on sexual harassment charges in most countries.  And this can effectively trash your entire career forever.

I go to extreme lengths personally.   Separate computers,  Separate phones,  Separate networks in the house.  Separate passwords,  Separate social account on twitter etc.  Why?  Because I've seen the damage it can do to people when they make innocent mistakes on more than one occasion.

Cut the connection between work and home and this will never be a problem again.  

As for technically do you still have an issue.  Maybe,  I'm not going to lie.

• Printers have caches,
  • Printer Servers make backups.  Lots of reasons for this.  Reprint and Audit reasons being most common.
  • The Network can be monitored.  In big companies it often is.
  • The device and filename are likely logged.   So there is a trail back to you.

The odds are low that your will get burned by this.  But it's definitely not zero.

I can't recommend owning up to ahead of time.  As this will undoubtedly be held against you.  

But the most obvious question is.   Why did you even take or have a naked photo on a digital device?   That's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.  

Your boss will probably give you a promotion for getting a network printer to work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As most people have said already, chances of someone finding out are very low... butt possible.

Please let us know if anything comes of this.

Have you tried restarting it?