Microsoft is Forcing me to Buy MacBooks - Windows Modern Standby

AlexTheGreatish

well i see this op video has probably been DMCAed by microsoft

13 minutes ago, cdoublejj said:

well i see this op video has probably been DMCAed by microsoft

No, the whole channel was terminated by Google.

If you want info on what's going on, there's a mega-thread about the ongoing LTT channel hack:

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

No, the whole channel was terminated by Google.

If you want info on what's going on, there's a mega-thread about the ongoing LTT channel hack:

going to check that out, just saw this a minute ago and came here

• 2 weeks later...

I presume LTT never heard back from Microsoft? That non-OS Microsoft engineer comment is pinned, but no follow-up.

It seems like such a simple fix: just add a bloody toggle in Settings for S3 sleep. Done. End of story. 

IIRC, Linus has not mentioned this bug in any future laptop videos. Feel like The Lab adding Standby Tests would be a great way to continuously shame Microsoft & OEMs to get their crap together.

Xnapper-2023-04-05-10.52.45.png

2 hours ago, ikjadoon said:

I presume LTT never heard back from Microsoft? That non-OS Microsoft engineer comment is pinned, but no follow-up.

It seems like such a simple fix: just add a bloody toggle in Settings for S3 sleep. Done. End of story. 

There was an update on the WAN show a couple weeks later and I created this post for bug reporting.  The problem we found was just one of many, and the problems are different on every device.  For instance I've never had the unplugged not sleeping problem on my HP Elite Dragonfly, but I've had the Modern Standby bug due to issues with the Intel Audio driver.

Adding S3 sleep back in isn't simple because then you have to trust the hardware vendors to fix problems and update firmware.. something that they aren't necessarily good at.

• 5 months later...

Tip for AMD users: Get Smokeless_UMAF, unzip it on an empty fat32 partition and boot into the usb and check in there if your firmware supports S3 sleep. For my zephyrus g14 I didn't had an option in the bios and windows said it is not supported but the option is just hidden. You need to go to device manager -> amd pbs and then search for a standby option. It should give you s0(modern standby), s3 standby and some other options. DISCLAIMER! Do not mess with anything else as it can damage your laptop. Do what you want with this information