Microsoft is Forcing me to Buy MacBooks - Windows Modern Standby

AlexTheGreatish
On 12/4/2022 at 9:13 AM, fpo said:

I'd love an M1, but $300 for a fairly modern gaming laptop kinda kills the need for it.

I'd love an M1 as well, but I couldn't fit one into my budget with a screen bigger than 13" and that was a deal-breaker for me.

That said, I'm not planning to play games if I'm buying a Mac. It helped for me that my Windows laptop had just crapped the bed, but even from that I was barely playing games. The MacBook exists mostly to be a laptop and have some horsepower to do some productivity tasks on the go.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

You know, sometimes I do wonder why Microsoft needs to reinvent the wheel. Standby should be enough, and all laptop did pretty good job on there. Mine is even better, just switch it off. It's not like your modern laptop with SSD took a long time to boot at all. I rather switch it off when I'm not in use, turn it back on and wait for 10 or 20 seconds for it to boot and use. Use hibernate if you have some application running and don't want to close them.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd love an M1 as well, but I couldn't fit one into my budget with a screen bigger than 13" and that was a deal-breaker for me.

That said, I'm not planning to play games if I'm buying a Mac. It helped for me that my Windows laptop had just crapped the bed, but even from that I was barely playing games. The MacBook exists mostly to be a laptop and have some horsepower to do some productivity tasks on the go.

Yeah. 

Unfortunately for Mac though, I found the windows programs that match the things Mac does and what I liked about the Mac specific stuff. 

Now it's like "buy a $1k+ MacBook OR... Buy a $300~400 laptop and have $600 budget for windows alternatives." 

Except that mixcraft is like $100 and davinci resolve is free for one version of the software. 

What else does a Mac have going for it? Being thin? 

It's nice but hardly relevant to me. I got a thicc laptop for $300 on eBay and it's super powerful, but if it's in my backpack it doesn't matter that it's thick and if it's on the table, I'm not carrying it. 

On 12/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, kokosnh said:

It takes it 7-15 seconds to start up with fast boot in UEFi

You try getting those boot speeds in the real world... like in an office with thousands of employees that use laptops provided to them from an IT department that loads up the systems with more bloatware than any OEM, for things like security and monitoring. You might boot to the login in 7 to 15seconds, but you aren't starting your powerpoint for the CEO until at least 5 to 10 minutes later. Sure hope you got there early. 

36 minutes ago, fpo said:

What else does a Mac have going for it? Being thin?

Best trackpad of any laptop ever, and really good keyboards on 2019 and later models.

I recognize that Macs aren't the end-all be-all of laptops, I just really like mine 😄

I'm so picky with trackpads that I basically shoehorned myself into buying a ThinkPad or a MacBook(I despise the trackpads on Windows laptops and the ThinkPad gives me an option to ignore the trackpad entirely), and the Mac was cheaper for the same kind of hardware(Core i7, 16GB RAM, decent dGPU, 512GB SSD).

Plus, for things that I do, I'm not limited enough by software support for it to be an issue for me.

I will say, having a thinner laptop does mean it fits more nicely inside my bag. I dislike it only having Thunderbolt 3 and a headphone jack, especially considering there's room for USB-A but oh well.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On a Bootcamp of Windows 10 on a 2019 Mac Pro running the "powercfg /a" command shows that "Standby (S3)" is supported. I was able to run the registry command. Still have to test it but it might be a case again of the best Windows laptop you can buy is a Mac.

42 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Best trackpad of any laptop ever, and really good keyboards on 2019 and later models.

I recognize that Macs aren't the end-all be-all of laptops, I just really like mine 😄

I'm so picky with trackpads that I basically shoehorned myself into buying a ThinkPad or a MacBook(I despise the trackpads on Windows laptops and the ThinkPad gives me an option to ignore the trackpad entirely), and the Mac was cheaper for the same kind of hardware(Core i7, 16GB RAM, decent dGPU, 512GB SSD).

Plus, for things that I do, I'm not limited enough by software support for it to be an issue for me.

I will say, having a thinner laptop does mean it fits more nicely inside my bag. I dislike it only having Thunderbolt 3 and a headphone jack, especially considering there's room for USB-A but oh well.

Oh yeah, trackpad. 

I forgot about that. 

My Dell (second. I don't like Dell to buy new) has a good trackpad. Not excellent but it's good. 

My work laptop is a Thinkpad and I really like its trackpad and two sets of distinct left and right click buttons. Really convenient. 

What productivity do you do if I may ask? 

Thin laptops are nice but I got over them. My last laptop was quite thin and good. 

Lenovo y 40 70 if you want to see what it was. 

Pretty good laptop but sold it for a GTX 1050 laptop

15 minutes ago, fpo said:

What productivity do you do if I may ask?

At the moment, mostly programming again. Visual Studio Code is nearly the same on Mac compared to Windows, so nothing really different there.

Nothing super exciting, but it does what I need it to while lasting basically as long as I need it to on battery.

16 minutes ago, fpo said:

Lenovo y 40 70 if you want to see what it was.

Pretty good laptop but sold it for a GTX 1050 laptop

My MacBook features an RX 5300M, which seems to be about on par with a GTX 1050Ti. Not great, not terrible, fine for what I need.

My System doesn't seem to support S0 Sleep AT ALL despite being brand new 2022 model laptop. it only supports S3, Hibernate, Hybrid Sleep and Fast Startup.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 002338.png

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

At the moment, mostly programming again. Visual Studio Code is nearly the same on Mac compared to Windows, so nothing really different there.

Nothing super exciting, but it does what I need it to while lasting basically as long as I need it to on battery.

Ah okay. 

Yeah vs code seems pretty good. 

Mostly used for web programming unless you install a separate compiler. 

In my experience... Could be different. Might be used for just about everything. 

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My MacBook features an RX 5300M, which seems to be about on par with a GTX 1050Ti. Not great, not terrible, fine for what I need.

I forgot they had AMD GPUs. 

If it works it works. 

Need to add to this.

I just got my Slim 7i back from the repair depot, and ran the powercfg command in cmd. This machine supports S3 sleep in the firmware, but what caught my eye was that S0 sleep was always in "Network Connected" mode, regardless of whether it is plugged-in, or not. So the hypothesis, while valid, doesn't seem to apply to every Windows machine.

image.png

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It also can happen if your laptop is plugged in while in sleep, because it can wake up for a moment, then go to sleep, thus sleeping with network connected. Thankfully, my laptop (Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 from 2021) supports S3 out of the box, without needing to enable it in BIOS, so that registry trick has worked for me.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:30 AM, Martian2125 said:

Does anyone have a link to the registry edit hack? They did not include the guide they showed in the video in the video description.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

On 12/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, Ogrezeanu Razvan said:

Zephyrus G14 seems to only support S3. Though I had all the problems you mentioned quite often (overheating in the bag and drainined battery).

image.png.8327f8f71b5cf12696496a79ccda2adb.png

Look into disabling S3 and your problems will be solved. Se pic below.

image.png.f83cac09596110f2cfabeefea62844a9.png

Just another thing to add.

My Slim 7i 13" just did the Modern Standby thing again, but this time, it's sitting on a table. I unplugged it while it was still awake, but as I mentioned above a few entries, this particular machine stays in "Network Connected" mode no matter what.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I just posted on the youTube Comments:

"as shared by cyan_echo in LTT forums, in an Administrator Command Prompt, you can use the Powercfg command to shift from Connected Standby to Disconnected Standby:

powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Worked on their MS Surface and My Lenovo ThinkPad" =)

On 12/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, Empowering Solutions said:

I just posted on the youTube Comments:

"as shared by cyan_echo in LTT forums, in an Administrator Command Prompt, you can use the Powercfg command to shift from Connected Standby to Disconnected Standby:

powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Worked on their MS Surface and My Lenovo ThinkPad" =)

Thanks I appreciate it and happy to hear it worked for you. Apparently this was my first ever comment since I created my YT account in 2014, so google was like(i assume) - this guy never posts so this is an anomaly we should block 🙂

Hi guys,

it did NOT read the last four pages of this thread, but a quick search was negative about the information I like to tell you. (Edit: ok, I need to improve my text search skills on Ajax pages...sorry)

If you run powercfg.exe /SleepStudy windows generates an HTML report about the power consumption of your device while in sleep. I let my device sleep for the last hour, and then it showed me that my Bluetooth speaker still was on, so my device did not sleep well.

image.png.b1751dbf2092f0fffed9469a9a9452ed.png

Also, when my laptop is docked, I can see it still keeps the thunderbolt and PCIe lanes active.

So next time you had a hot computer in your backpack, run the report and have a look at the reason. Maybe we can verify the Windows update the video assumed.

Source: https://community.frame.work/t/high-battery-drain-during-suspend-windows-edition/4421/9

Edited by tzanke

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, I think I have been bitten by this. I had to rush out the office, and my partner closed the lid, unplugged everything, put it in my rucksack and brought it home.

When I opened my bag this morning, the laptop was scorching hot, almost untouchable, with a warning on the screen. Ran the onboard diagnostic tool and it's now saying the battery is messed up and will need replacing. I work on battery mode all the time, so I'm going to be so frustrated if this has caused lasting damage to my battery. 

Can anybody decipher the below for me? Does it look like something might have happened? Also, I'm not a regular user of forums, if there's somewhere better for me to post, please let me know.

Thanks.

Battery Test Page 1.jpg

Battery Test Page 2.jpg

46 minutes ago, CarlosWonderboy said:

Hey folks, I think I have been bitten by this. I had to rush out the office, and my partner closed the lid, unplugged everything, put it in my rucksack and brought it home.

When I opened my bag this morning, the laptop was scorching hot, almost untouchable, with a warning on the screen. Ran the onboard diagnostic tool and it's now saying the battery is messed up and will need replacing. I work on battery mode all the time, so I'm going to be so frustrated if this has caused lasting damage to my battery. 

Can anybody decipher the below for me? Does it look like something might have happened? Also, I'm not a regular user of forums, if there's somewhere better for me to post, please let me know.

Thanks.

Battery Test Page 1.jpg

Battery Test Page 2.jpg

Sorry, to add to this, S0 Standby isn't even possible on my laptop. When I ran power config, it shows that S0 is not available but S3 is?

Is there another possible reason this is happening to my device? 

Select Command Prompt 17_01_2023 10_25_42.png

On 12/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hi, my name is Crunchy and I'm a lifelong Windows user who switched to a MacBook Pro.

For what feels like the first time ever, my laptop actually reaches the manufacturer's claimed battery life, even if I'm opening and closing it throughout the day. Apple marketed the 2019 16" MBP as reaching 11 hours of battery life and so far it hasn't disappointed.

I might be fully on the Apple train for laptops from here on out, and I guess I have something new to watch out for should I ever need to buy a Windows laptop.

I wouldn't really know if my Macbook reaches the claimed battery life, because I probably never use it in the exact scenario that Apple tests these claims in. (certain brightness, perhaps bluetooth turned off, etc.?)

But it feels like my 2019 15 inch Macbook Pro never made the claimed 10 hours, even when it was brand new. Feels more like 6 hours-ish. But this is an Intel CPU. Perhaps the battery life has gotten way better with the M1 and M2 chips though.

But I came from a Dell Studio laptop, and there are numerous other reasons I would never go back to a Windows laptop now.

11 hours ago, maartendc said:

I wouldn't really know if my Macbook reaches the claimed battery life, because I probably never use it in the exact scenario that Apple tests these claims in. (certain brightness, perhaps bluetooth turned off, etc.?)

But it feels like my 2019 15 inch Macbook Pro never made the claimed 10 hours, even when it was brand new. Feels more like 6 hours-ish. But this is an Intel CPU. Perhaps the battery life has gotten way better with the M1 and M2 chips though.

But I came from a Dell Studio laptop, and there are numerous other reasons I would never go back to a Windows laptop now.

Mine is also Intel, it's a Core i7.

I also tend to run my laptops on lower brightness and in low power mode when on battery, so that might help get a little bit extra life.

12 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Mine is also Intel, it's a Core i7.

I also tend to run my laptops on lower brightness and in low power mode when on battery, so that might help get a little bit extra life.

Mine is the Core i9 beefed up model with the Vega 20 graphics, but honestly that shouldn't matter. On battery, in low power states the i9 shouldn't significantly use more than an i7. And it should use the iGPU on the CPU unless doing something graphically intensive. 

Yes I'd be interested to see which brightness level Apple tests their claims at. I tend to run on the higher brightness mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so sorry to res this thread but I have been doing some testing on my work Dell laptop since this video came out first off i started with the bloated existing install of windows 11 22H2 that was on my laptop that is full of junk form the past few years I closed the lid on the device then unplugged power for the first week and every day id come back to the office pull it out my bag to find it dead then after about 2 weeks I repeated this but i unplugged the charger first and made sure windows didnt inidcate ti was charging anymore then shut the lid this meant i would usually power it on with anywhere from 20%-60% battery depending on if it was a weekday or a weekend so it would still drain just not as much.

Next I tried with a fresh install of windows 11 22H2 and i got the same results with both pluged in when closing and unplugged first as my bloated install meaning it was definatly windows and not some janky software on my original install.

My third test was to install ubuntu on the machine in dual boot with windows and before going home from work i would reboot into ubuntu log in then shut the lid and unplug the charger. This time my battery held strong only draining about 10% at most over a weekend and usually are oung 3 or 4% overnight on a weekday and it was the same if i unplugged the charger first.

Unfortunatly i cant do my word in ubutnu as alot of the stuff i use requires acess to powershell and other microsoft products like office365 one drive ect. but now everynight before i go home i reboot into ubuntu in order to save my battery and then reboot into windows in the morning. (also its kinda handy sometimes to have a linux install for the occational thing)

So while my tests where not scientific or anything as a purley anicdotal test i think this is proof that there is definatly somethign woring with windows sleep considering its the same laptop the only differance is windows 11 and ubuntu. Please microsoft fix this!

I lurk a lot

Hi guys,

A simple work around that I have been using to help with this issue...

1. Download Microsoft PowerToys: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

2. Enable PowerToys run

3. Use PowerToys run to sleep -> Press Alt+Space (default shortcut) -> type Sleep -> press enter.

1. Once you do this once, Power Toys will remember the last thing you ran was "sleep" so, second time its just Alt+Space -> Enter.

Since I started using this method, I haven't had any sleep issues and tried it on a XPS, Asus & HP laptops. Laptop goes to sleep for days.

No idea why this works... but hopefully this might help some of you.

winsleep 1.png

winsleep 2.png