On Subscriptions: The problems, causes, and solutions

YellowJersey

So I'm currently watching this week's WANShow where Linus and Luke talk about the mercedes subscription to unlock the true power of the engine.

The problem: Having to pay a subscription for absolutely bloody everything, which is especially egregious when it comes to features that are already present on the hardware and are just soft-locked out (ie, held for ransom)

The cause: as Linus pointed out, the economic model expects and requires recurrent revenue. We've reached a level of absurdity that says selling a product for a profit is not enough as shareholders demand not just a return on their investment, but ever increasing returns at any cost. This mentality means that if there is something that will make a business money, they will do it, no matter how sleazy, morally reprehensible, unethical, or, in some cases, illegal it is.

The solution(?): This is not going to be a "market will sort itself out" kind of thing. Corporations will keep doing this and they will do it more aggressively as time goes on. There is no such thing as "enough." The only solution is legislation to outlaw this kind of practice and, as L&L mentioned during the smart doorbell bit, meaningful fines and liability that don't just amount to "legal for a fee." I would propose legislation that
1) Outlaws locking users out of features that are already physically present in the hardware. If you buy it (ie, you own it), you get to use it. No extra money to unlock heated seats when the hardware is already installed. No day 1 DLC. None of that.

2) Subscriptions are permitted when there is an ongoing cost of development to provide both the present functionality and future additional functionality. For example, netflix can operate as a subscription because (1) there is an ongoing cost to maintain the existing service (data centre costs, bandwidth costs, etc) and, (2) the subscription provides additional functionality as time goes on (ie, new content).

You cannot except the users to revolt. Even if they do, corporations often announce something sleazy, back pedal after backlash, and then quietly implement the sleazy thing later on once the backlash has died down and people have started to get used to the idea. Remember when the very idea for DLC was frowned upon? Now look at where we are. They will keep pushing the envelope and getting away with it unless there is legislation.

How likely is that legislation? That depends on your jurisdiction. The EU is probably the most likely large consumer jurisdiction to act, but whether Canada, the US, Australia, etc will follow is a big, "maybe."

/rant

I'm going to go to bed now and hopefully stroke out in my sleep.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I really wish I could pay a monthly subscription to be able to use my LTT screwdriver.

I also wish it came with a EULA.

And automatic firmware updates that updated the terms of the EULA.

And maybe the screwdriver could upload photos of my balls to the cloud without asking me, and with no security restrictions?

I'd pay extra for that.

them "extra" money gos to the ceo always has been. that give 2 craps about w/e there selling... that or there trying to make moeny to keep inverters or buy out other company's

was there not a bill that got passed that allowed there to be a subscription for everything? just like an isp? ajit pai neutrality

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

subscriptions are stupid however installing stuff and having it disabled is fine. Perhaps the original owner doesn't want that feature but installing it saves money and time on the production line to make everything the same. Let the owner pay a 1 time fee to permanently enable it at their choice and time of choosing but not have to subscribe to it monthly that's just wrong.

One thing though, tesla are some assholes for this one, if a owner buys a car then buys and enables say full self drive then a few years later sells the car back to tesla and buys another car. Tesla will then DISABLE the full self drive and make the next owner pay to enable it again. That is some straight up BS, that's like me installing a supercharger on my mustang then selling it to ford and them taking off the pulley and belt before selling it to the next person. Once something has been enabled via payment it should be enabled until that car is no longer roadworthy and put in the crusher for recycling.