Can anbody get the dimensions for the screwdriver "shorty" bits

Minystreem

I"m making a 3d printable bit holder for the IKEA Lack, but my screwdriver arrives in about 2 weeks.

Some coolish person who likes to make stuff

59 minutes ago, Minystreem said:

I"m making a 3d printable bit holder for the IKEA Lack, but my screwdriver arrives in about 2 weeks.

My memory is they’re more or less just regular 1/4” hex bits with part of the back cut off.  I don’t remember how much.  They’ll fit in a regular bit holder though and it seems foolish to make something that will only hold a specialty bit, so any hardware store will have a bajillion examples. Any manufacturer of bits is likely to have their product on the internet.  Might have to look at a few.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

ok thanks! if anbody has a STEP file that would be nice, but I can use these mesurements

• 2 weeks later...

where is 1/4"" mesures on the hex bit

2 hours ago, Minystreem said:

The diameter.  Are you asking where it says “1/4”? Why would they do that? 1/4” hex is a standardized size.  There’s 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” for hex wrenches generally.  Might be bigger too.  There are bits smaller than 1/4”. Ifixit uses one.  I’ve got two bit sets like that.  One is from general and the other is Oria.  They are both the same size but I do not know what that size is.  1/4” is a standardized sizing for screw bits and some drill bits.  Impact drivers usually have a 1/4” Chuck.  I’m assuming you’re wondering about the length.  This is where LTT bits differ from standard.  They’re shorter.  So more ore less a standardized 1/4” bit with part cut off.  An LTT screw driver will use and even hold standard 1/4” bits.  They just can’t hold as many.  Another screw driver might be able to use LTT bits as well if the socket in the end was shallow enough.  Using firearm nomenclature an LTT bit might be called 1/4” short.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

its a hexagon I dont know how they mesure hexagons, but now I know thank you.

24 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

image.png

Measured it for you

Your hexagon is an octogon.  I have no idea why that hurts my brain so much.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 12/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Minystreem said:

There isn’t one.  It’s the name of a standard.  ‘1/4” hex’. Theoretically it’s the Distance between any two opposite flat sides. There’s probably a few dozen thou or more of slop though, so it isn’t going to be exactly that.  They’re tools not research equipment. 

I have found trying to find these bits outside of LTT store is a daunting task. If I look for 1/4" Hex 20mm I do not find many of these kinds of bits. Half height 1/4" hex bit doesn't; result much either. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

51 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

I have found trying to find these bits outside of LTT store is a daunting task. If I look for 1/4" Hex 20mm I do not find many of these kinds of bits. Half height 1/4" hex bit doesn't; result much either. 

There won’t be any.  Finding bits that will fit the screwdriver isn’t, but finding THOSE bits is.  Finding longer ones is really easy.  They’re everywhere, and the longer ones fit, they just take up two spaces in the handle.  You can also just buy a long one and take a hack saw to it though.  I consider the half height bits to be sort of a commentary on the standard:  why is it so long and uses so much metal for no obvious good reason? You can buy drill bits in 1/4 hex that are 6 inches long though and won’t fit in the handle at all of course.

Edited by Bombastinator

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Your hexagon is an octogon.  I have no idea why that hurts my brain so much.

It's because hexagons are the bestagons, and that's just an impostagon.

8 hours ago, Pickles von Brine said:

Some older Snap-On drivers came with shorty bits. There's always the angle grinder / hacksaw / bench grinder method too.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Its going to be 3d printed, so yea I figured it out, and my screwdriver came so I can test