Do NOT Plug This Into Anything – Hak5 Rubber Ducky

TannerMcCoolman

The Hak5 Rubber Ducky is a dangerous hacking tool that disguises itself as an unassuming USB flash drive. It delivers payloads by injecting keystrokes while appearing to its host system as a regular old keyboard.

Buy the Hak5 Rubber Ducky here:
https://shop.hak5.org/products/usb-rubber-ducky

If you plug random flash drives into your computer you had it coming.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

If anyone is looking for a way to combat this, there is a great software vendor that protects against rubber duckies. At my job, we use an application called ThreatLocker to protect all of our client's machines. ThreatLocker is an allow-listing software that blocks EVERYTHING from running unless there is a rule on the server side that explicitly allows it. Great tool for all MSPs and IT Departments to have. They even gave us a rubber ducky to use as a marketing tool for their software! Cybersecurity Tools, Allowlisting, Ringfencing | ThreatLocker Inc

23 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Never underestimate the lusers. Remember even stupid af spam mails works or it wouldn't be so widely used.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

38 minutes ago, ForboJack said:

Never underestimate the lusers. Remember even stupid af spam mails works or it wouldn't be so widely used.

Idiot Proof and Idiots have been locked in an eternal struggle for supremacy. My $5 is on the idiots winning, in the end. D:

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

1 hour ago, ForboJack said:

23 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Idiot Proof and Idiots have been locked in an eternal struggle for supremacy. My $5 is on the idiots winning, in the end. D:

It's really tempting to label the kind of person who could fall for something like this to be an idiot, but, like, are we forgetting that even experienced people can make mistakes and have lapses in judgement?

I mean, seriously. There's more than one way a vulnerability can exploit a user, and I remember this plausible anecdote from a YouTuber doing an ad spot for a password manager -- he received a login notification after a long day from an unknown location and was going to "log in" to the site, but realized it was a phishing site when said manager didn't suggest to fill in the login fields. Whether that story was real or not, it's something that literally could happen to anybody. And I don't think anybody here can honestly say that they've never made a mistake or had a lapse in judgement, no matter how experienced or disciplined you are. You don't become an expert by never making mistakes.

So can we please collectively stop equating "scam victim" with "idiot"?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

These HID based attacks are rather common for more targeted attacks. And devices like these have been out in the wild for a long time.

And to be fair, this device isn't that abnormal. Nor is it really "facilitating a tool", yes it marginally lowers the bar. But people have stuffed microcontrollers into keyboards for this exact type of attack for a long time.

There has likewise been discussions about how to trust human interface devices and validate them, and these discussions started long before attacks like these became practical.

But there just isn't a good solution.

Printing a string on screen for the user to type is a simple solution. But not without a laundry list of issues.

Audio is even worse, since the attacking device can just have a microphone.

And asking the user to remember more passwords is fairly inept in practice.

A decent solution is for the OS to ignore new HID devices as long as the "trusted" ones are still connected.
And ask the end user if they trust this new device. (and of course one should be able to have as many trusted devices connected simultaneously as one desires.)

(If one's keyboard dies and one goes to get a new one, then just unplug the old one and the new will now be the only available keyboard, so the OS has no choice but to trust it. Though, the HID attacker can just crash the USB driver and hope it gets recognized before the other keyboard.)

In the end.

The best solution is pure awareness.

At my shop we plug customers' USB keys into  our order-taking PC without giving it a second thought. it's a thing that has to get done.

It's just business; the money we make taking in the work vs the risk of infecting an isolated PC. It's not even a question.

29 minutes ago, CT854 said:

I agree with your sentiment, to an extent. Unfortunately, the types of attacks you're referring to usually result from a user's lack of mental wherewithal to NOT provide "insert-typically-legitimate-thing" to "insert-usually-safe-place."

Here's an analogy: Drunk driving is stupid, and it should never be done. But once you're inebriated, you have lost the ability to make proper decisions. However, the drunk person's current state of mind does not negate the fact it would still be a stupid action to hop in a car.

Likewise, the people that fall for cyber attacks are usually either rushed or mentally worn down from a long, hard day which greatly lowers their ability to make proper decisions, even if they would do so normally. So again, their current mental state does not negate the fact they still did a really stupid thing, be it providing passwords to a phishing site, or plugging in questionable USB devices.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

30 minutes ago, CT854 said:

It's really tempting to label the kind of person who could fall for something like this to be an idiot, but, like, are we forgetting that even experienced people can make mistakes and have lapses in judgement?

It's not meant to dunk on anyone specifically, it's just that no matter how foolproof you make something, the Universe will come up with a better fool.

I've done stupid things. But, I can honestly say, over the last 10 years, I only once downloaded malware unintentionally, and I realized as soon as I had, so I just nuked the system and started over.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

It's not meant to dunk on anyone specifically, it's just that no matter how foolproof you make something, the Universe will come up with a better fool.

I don't think we disagree on this, but the whole narrative of "you have to be an idiot to fall for these scams lulz" is pretty tired and it's easy to fall into that rhetoric even if you do ultimately understand that it's, well, not just idiots that fall for it.

Nuance is important and care should be taken, is all.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

6 hours ago, CT854 said:

I mean, seriously. There's more than one way a vulnerability can exploit a user, and I remember this plausible anecdote from a YouTuber doing an ad spot for a password manager -- he received a login notification after a long day from an unknown location and was going to "log in" to the site, but realized it was a phishing site when said manager didn't suggest to fill in the login fields. Whether that story was real or not, it's something that literally could happen to anybody. And I don't think anybody here can honestly say that they've never made a mistake or had a lapse in judgement, no matter how experienced or disciplined you are. You don't become an expert by never making mistakes.

Someone pulling very long shifts and are fatigued, are quite a bit more likely to have lapses in judgment. 

I wonder if attackers also take into account the work schedule, and potentially even a guess of the workers’ mental state before investing in an attack. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Awesome video like usual. Does anyone know how they were able to get their PC benchmark setup payload to download multiple files. I’ve been playing around with a rubber ducky equivalent (Arduino Leonardo based bad USB) and have only been able to get one file to download and execute. I haven’t been able to find a way to download multiple files either separately or in a folder (chrome, malwarebytes, discord, steam —> all setup .exes I want to quickly get on a computer). 

3 hours ago, CT854 said:

Nuance is important and care should be taken, is all.

This. People forget that shit happens. 

In September I was in and out of hospital with mental health issues. Staying in a hotel because I couldn't quite go back out to work yet, but wasn't going to be out of work long enough to justify plane tickets to go home.

I got a call from the "front desk" saying they put my card in wrong when I checked in and they needed to verify my card number. I had stayed at that hotel many times. Even after going back and forth a while offering to go down to the front desk I still gave it out. I knew better. I spent about 10 minutes arguing about it. I was tired and I was exhausted. I gave my card number anyways.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

14 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

just like are sponsor pulse wave!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

12 hours ago, CT854 said:

I don't think we disagree on this, but the whole narrative of "you have to be an idiot to fall for these scams lulz" is pretty tired and it's easy to fall into that rhetoric even if you do ultimately understand that it's, well, not just idiots that fall for it.

Mm, true. I think I should have been more along the lines of 'no matter how careful you are, some butthole will engineer a more appealing, crafty, and devious method to trick you into doing what they want'.

15 hours ago, AlexQC said:

I wonder which antivirus (if any) can stop them...

We found from experience that not many antiviruses can stop them; you need a deny all software in most instances. This is mainly for the enterprise space, but we use ThreatLocker to accomplish this. The reason that it is so hard to stop a rubber ducky is that it won't be explicitly known by say, Norton or McAfee that it is malicious software. The flaw with that software is that it relies on "definitions" of what is good and bad. If something is not in its definition of bad, it will often allow it.

you can get equivalent microcontrollers for literally a tenth of the price of a real hak5 rubber ducky btw, even though the user experience is probably a lot besser on the OG

The only usb sticks I leave laying about work are USBKill sticks.

We need new hardware anyway 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The only usb sticks I leave laying about work are USBKill sticks.

We need new hardware anyway 🤪

lolwat

Is your username at work some variation of 'JobInsurance'?

51 minutes ago, Sarra said:

lolwat

Is your username at work some variation of 'JobInsurance'?

Heh,

I work for the gov't. My job (in IT) is classified as "mission critical" and as such, I *cannot* be fired.

For anything short of murder (I know, I looked into it. And as an "amusing" aside, the guy I replaced was because he had murdered his wife, so he lost his job. Make of that what you will.)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

53 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Heh,

I work for the gov't. My job (in IT) is classified as "mission critical" and as such, I *cannot* be fired.

For anything short of murder (I know, I looked into it. And as an "amusing" aside, the guy I replaced was because he had murdered his wife, so he lost his job. Make of that what you will.)

Well, I know who not to cross paths with, then. Hah.

You actually got me wondering if Enterprise servers have protections against USBKill devices. Not sure I've got a security clearance high enough to know the answer, but it would still be interesting to know.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

Well, I know who not to cross paths with, then. Hah.

You actually got me wondering if Enterprise servers have protections against USBKill devices. Not sure I've got a security clearance high enough to know the answer, but it would still be interesting to know.

The gear we use does not.

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Heh,

A dark alley is friendlier than a gov IT guy. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…