Could my RAM problem be PSU related?

Veisenberg

I have an ongoing problem with my RAM that I posted about a few weeks ago - Anyone able to help me with a memory issue? - CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory - Linus Tech Tips

One of the things that has crossed my mind is, is enough power getting to my motherboard on start up? Could my RAM problem be a PSU issue?

How do PSU's work? Is the voltage needed by the board and other components instantly available as soon as you turn on a PC?

My specs if needed:

Board: Asus rog strix f gaming

CPU: R5 3600

RAM: Klevv Cras X RGB (4x8GB 3600MHz)

PSU: Corsair RM 850

GPU: Asus TUF 3080 10GB

Cheers.

Did you try updating your BIOS as suggested by Sarra in your original thread? I would suggest the same. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

3 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Did you try updating your BIOS as suggested by Sarra in your original thread? I would suggest the same. 

I have the latest bios for my board. Should I try rolling back to an earlier bios?

1 minute ago, Andy-Aech said:

I have the latest bios for my board. Should I try rolling back to an earlier bios?

I would not suggest that unless you have specifically read or been told that it would fix it. But sure, you could always try. I honestly suspect either your CPU or motherboard have a hardware fault since you are on latest BIOS and have confirmed all sticks work. But lets see what others have to say.

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Just now, BetteBalterZen said:

I would not suggest that unless you have specifically read or been told that it would fix it. But sure, you could always try. I honestly suspect either your CPU or motherboard have a hardware fault since you are on latest BIOS and have confirmed all sticks work. But lets see what others have to say.

Alright mate. Thanks for replying 👍

1 minute ago, Andy-Aech said:

Alright mate. Thanks for replying 👍

You are welcome 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I had a look at your previous thread, and one thing stood out to me. When you were asked if you tested the RAM you replied that you had tested each stick in each slot.... but you never mentioned memtestx86. So did you run memtestx86 or not? if not then I would suggest you do that as it could be a fault in one stick that's causing all your problems. I had this before, about 15 years ago with some expensive RAM sticks, I RMA'd them and got replacements, but in the end I sold those brand new sticks and went with a different vendor... never had a problem again.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

35 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I had a look at your previous thread, and one thing stood out to me. When you were asked if you tested the RAM you replied that you had tested each stick in each slot.... but you never mentioned memtestx86. So did you run memtestx86 or not? if not then I would suggest you do that as it could be a fault in one stick that's causing all your problems. I had this before, about 15 years ago with some expensive RAM sticks, I RMA'd them and got replacements, but in the end I sold those brand new sticks and went with a different vendor... never had a problem again.

I did yes. 3 passes and no errors.

I was thinking about just returning the sticks for a different set but I didn't want to get another kit and find out the problem wasn't with the RAM.

2 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

I did yes. 3 passes and no errors.

I was thinking about just returning the sticks for a different set but I didn't want to get another kit and find out the problem wasn't with the RAM.

Yeah, I wouldn't RMA them unless I knew there was a fault. 

Do you have any other hardware on your PC, like USB external drives or anything? if so unplug them for testing. I would strip the PC down to barebones for more testing personally. Also have you looked at the specs for your mobo, some mobos have a limit on frequency for 4x ram sticks IIRC, so stepping down the frequency might help too, at least for testing purposes anyway.

If the problems only started when you added 2 more sticks, then I would say the above might be the problem RE the frequency limit for 4 sticks, usually the vendor specifies a max frequency for OC, but that IIRC is for 2x sticks, so might have to dig into it a bit to find out.

eg, this is for my mobo

Intel® Z590 Chipset

MEMORY

• 4x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB1
  • Supports 1R 2133/ 2666/ 2933 MHz for 10th Gen Intel® CPU (by JEDEC & POR)
  • Supports 1R 2133/ 2666/ 2933/ 3200 MHz for 11th Gen Intel® CPU (by JEDEC & POR)
  • Max overclocking frequency:
    • 1DPC 1R Max speed up to 5333 MHz
    • 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 4700+ MHz
    • 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 4400+ MHz
    • 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 4000+ MHz
  • Supports Dual-Channel mode
  • Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory
  • Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
  1. Please refer to www.msi.com for more information on compatible memory

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, I wouldn't RMA them unless I knew there was a fault. 

Do you have any other hardware on your PC, like USB external drives or anything? if so unplug them for testing. I would strip the PC down to barebones for more testing personally. Also have you looked at the specs for your mobo, some mobos have a limit on frequency for 4x ram sticks IIRC, so stepping down the frequency might help too, at least for testing purposes anyway.

If the problems only started when you added 2 more sticks, then I would say the above might be the problem RE the frequency limit for 4 sticks, usually the vendor specifies a max frequency for OC, but that IIRC is for 2x sticks, so might have to dig into it a bit to find out.

eg, this is for my mobo

Yeah I thought that too and did exactly that. But as I say in my other post if I run the RAM at anything other than 3600MHz I get BSOD errors. Even disabling DOCP and letting the RAM run at 2666MHz causes BSOD. Also I can put 3 sticks in and everything runs fine. As soon as I install the 4th stick I get the problems mentioned. Which is why I was toying with the idea that it might be power related.

2 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

Yeah I thought that too and did exactly that. But as I say in my other post if I run the RAM at anything other than 3600MHz I get BSOD errors. Even disabling DOCP and letting the RAM run at 2666MHz causes BSOD. Also I can put 3 sticks in and everything runs fine. As soon as I install the 4th stick I get the problems mentioned. Which is why I was toying with the idea that it might be power related.

Sorry I didn't see that you'd previously mentioned it... this is why they have a rule about reposting the same faults, as it can get complicated for everyone concerned.

Did you try all slots with a known working ram module? it could be a faulty mem slot. It could also be that even though the modules are the same brand/speed etc they are not matched, so not guaranteed to work together. You might have to manually set the voltage and timings etc to try and get them to work... it can be very finicky.

Personally speaking I would maybe have just sold the kit you already had, and then got 2x16GB modules instead, which are tested to work together. Can you return the kits and get most of your money back? or would it be a massive hit?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry I didn't see that you'd previously mentioned it... this is why they have a rule about reposting the same faults, as it can get complicated for everyone concerned.

Did you try all slots with a known working ram module? it could be a faulty mem slot. It could also be that even though the modules are the same brand/speed etc they are not matched, so not guaranteed to work together. You might have to manually set the voltage and timings etc to try and get them to work... it can be very finicky.

Personally speaking I would maybe have just sold the kit you already had, and then got 2x16GB modules instead, which are tested to work together. Can you return the kits and get most of your money back? or would it be a massive hit?

Bought both kits from Amazon. They'll help me with the last kit I bought but not the second. Not too much of a hit. I'll return them and hope the new kit doesn't give me any problems.

Could be the IMC in the cpu not being good enough. Ryzen 3000 does not play very well with 4 stick, because it is harder for IMC to run them. Having a good IMC is all luck. Like cpu silicon, IMC also varies a lot between the same exact models, so oyu could have gotten a bad IMC (bad luck)

Also could be the motherbaord memery topology. or both

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

Could be the IMC in the cpu not being good enough. Ryzen 3000 does not play very well with 4 stick, because it is harder for IMC to run them. Having a good IMC is all luck. Like cpu silicon, IMC also varies a lot between the same exact models, so oyu could have gotten a bad IMC (bad luck)

Also could be the motherbaord memery topology. or both

I'm not going to lie I don't know too much about the inner workings of my CPU's IMC, but I did actually think about it being something to do with that. I just didn't entertain it further because once I get the dram light from cold start, I just have to press the reset button on my case, and it passes post, boots into windows, and everything is golden.

22 hours ago, Andy-Aech said:

I'm not going to lie I don't know too much about the inner workings of my CPU's IMC, but I did actually think about it being something to do with that. I just didn't entertain it further because once I get the dram light from cold start, I just have to press the reset button on my case, and it passes post, boots into windows, and everything is golden.

When it reboots it might be automatically downclocking the frequency or using JEDEC frequency default of 2133Mhz IIRC, but could be wrong, that might be when the PC reboots itself due to not passing POST.

23 hours ago, Andy-Aech said:

Bought both kits from Amazon. They'll help me with the last kit I bought but not the second. Not too much of a hit. I'll return them and hope the new kit doesn't give me any problems.

You could try running them a bit looser timings etc. Might be worth asking in the memory forum how you'd go about getting the 2 kits to match up. I'd offer to help, but that's beyond my knowledge as I only ever run 2 sticks that are matched. If you don't want to, I totally understand and hope you have no probs with the new kit 🙂

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I have that board, and I checked the QVL for you. There are no listings for Klevv at 3600MT/s, so the ram you are running is not supported, or if it is, you are running 4x8 and there is a set on there that is only rated for 2x8. I would pull 1 set and clear the cmos and try running just the one pair. If it runs power off the system, clear the cmos, and inset the second pair and see if your problem goes away.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Just a quick thanks to everyone who attempted to help me out. I gave up and sent both kits back and bought a 32GB (2x16) Corsair vengeance RGB RS kit. Everything works perfectly again. I guess my CPU just didn't like 4 sticks.

Thanks again though guys.