How do I overclock my i9 13900k CPU more than 5.6 Ghz when I know others have gone to 6 Ghz+?

• I have an i9 13900k.
  • MSI Pro Z690-a DDR4.
  • Arctic Freezer II 420 A-RGB

I am trying to overclock my CPU to see how far I can go but my CPU crashes at 5.7 Ghz when I know it can get up to 6 Ghz+ because I have heard many others have done it

Temps are not a problem because my CPU sits at 85C-95C. How can some people get 6 Ghz+ and even 8Ghz+ but I can’t even get to 5.7 Ghz.

I have adjusted only the multiplier to x56 so it’s running at 5.6 Ghz but if I increase it by 0.1(5.7Ghz) and I run a stress test (FurMark) the screen goes black and the stress test stops and then Windows pops back up on the desktop like the moment just before I started the test.

Am I missing something? For example. it’s not got enough voltage.

How can I push my CPU further than 5.6 Ghz?

p.s. I’m new to LTT Fourms and may get a few things wrong e.g. question layout 

10 minutes ago, Yolo_gamer said:
  • I have an i9 13900k.
  • MSI Pro Z690-a DDR4.
  • Arctic Freezer II 420 A-RG

I am trying to overclock my CPU to see how far I can go but my CPU crashes at 5.7 Ghz when I know it can get up to 6 Ghz+ because I have heard many others have done it

Temps are not a problem because my CPU sits at 85C-95C. How can some people get 6 Ghz+ and even 8Ghz+ but I can’t even get to 5.7 Ghz.

I have adjusted only the multiplier to x56 so it’s running at 5.6 Ghz but if I increase it by 0.1(5.7Ghz) and I run a stress test (FurMark) the screen goes black and the stress test stops and then Windows pops back up on the desktop like the moment just before I started the test.

Am I missing something? For example. it’s not got enough voltage.

How can I push my CPU further than 5.6 Ghz?

p.s. I’m new to LTT Fourms and may get a few things wrong e.g. question layout 

I think you need to increase voltage if it crashes without reaching 100C

I don't think you can reach more than even 6GHz on normal cooling

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Those 8GHz runs were on LN2 - Liquid Nitrogen. With lots of additional voltage.

If you're trying to overclock without giving the CPU additional voltage, then yes, it will crash and not work. But that cooler still may not be up to the task of cooling with the additional clock. Who knows? You'll have to experiment with upping the multiplier and the vcore and see if that works.

You need to increase voltage which will massively increase power usage and temperature. So you need the custom CPU mounting bracket that makes the CPU contact against the cooler more flat for better cooling and maybe some IHS lapping and good water cooling loop.

FurMark is a GPU power virus it shouldn't affect your CPU. Screen flashing black means your driver probably restarted, if you had unstable CPU you will most likely get BSOD.

The voltage has been increased to 1.350v from 1.236v and it still crashes. 
the cpu cooler as mentioned is the arctic freezer ii 420 a-rgb which can definitely handle the temperatures because it’s a 20C temp drop from the Corsair h150i elite capellix and it sits at 80C to 90C at5.6Ghz

also I use the cpu burner on furmark and if my gpu was crashing it shouldn’t affected by the cpu being 5.6 or 5.7Ghz

4 minutes ago, Yolo_gamer said:

The voltage has been increased to 1.350v from 1.236v and it still crashes. 

Then your chip just won't do that clock stable. Either at all, with current temps, or you're having a bunch of vDroop, something like that. Increasing voltage does not instantly equal "chip go faster".

5 minutes ago, Yolo_gamer said:

also I use the cpu burner on furmark

Prime95 smallFFT torture test is what you want to blast OCs quickly and find out if they're stable or no.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Then your chip just won't do that clock stable. Either at all, with current temps, or you're having a bunch of vDroop, something like that. Increasing voltage does not instantly equal "chip go faster".

Prime95 smallFFT torture test is what you want to blast OCs quickly and find out if they're stable or no.

Note temps are fine and voltages are so solid only the occasional 0.01 drop and at worst 0.05 drop on 12V+ aka 11.950 but I will try prime 95 for my future testing

1 minute ago, Yolo_gamer said:

Note temps are fine

90C is pretty hot, completely fine for stock operation but you're asking the chip to run outside of stock settings, higher heat can cause instability then.

2 minutes ago, Yolo_gamer said:

only the occasional 0.01 drop and at worst 0.05 drop on 12V+ aka 11.950

vDroop has nothing to do with the PSU's voltage it spits out, it's the vCore "drooping" when under load. It may drop from the 1.35v you set in BIOS down to 1.2something. If that is the case, you would have to look at LLC (Load Line Calibration) and vDroop settings in your specific mobo BIOS to see what you can do about that, or just set a higher starting voltage in BIOS, so long as you're comfortable with the chip pulling that voltage when idle.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

90C is pretty hot, completely fine for stock operation but you're asking the chip to run outside of stock settings, higher heat can cause instability then.

vDroop has nothing to do with the PSU's voltage it spits out, it's the vCore "drooping" when under load. It may drop from the 1.35v you set in BIOS down to 1.2something. If that is the case, you would have to look at LLC (Load Line Calibration) and vDroop settings in your specific mobo BIOS to see what you can do about that, or just set a higher starting voltage in BIOS, so long as you're comfortable with the chip pulling that voltage when idle.

I’m using hardware monitor and across the board the biggest drop is 0.01 excluding 12v+ including IA and VID and CPU voltages. 

also in bios I have loadline calibration control the options are modes 1-8 and OV what do I pick

Just now, Yolo_gamer said:

I’m using hardware monitor and across the board the biggest drop is 0.01 excluding 12v+ including vcore. 

HWiNFO64 is more reliable and picks up more sensors. For vCore specifically I just use CPU-Z though, and keep an eye on the vCore as the chip goes under load.

1 minute ago, Yolo_gamer said:

also in bios I have loadline calibration control the options are modes 1-8 and OV what do I pick

I don't have your motherboard, so I don't know. Try level 3 I guess? See how voltage behaves under idle and load vs without it on.

Main PC 

11 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

HWiNFO64 is more reliable and picks up more sensors. For vCore specifically I just use CPU-Z though, and keep an eye on the vCore as the chip goes under load.

I don't have your motherboard, so I don't know. Try level 3 I guess? See how voltage behaves under idle and load vs without it on.

I use Cupid HWmonitor. 
The cpu is at 80C to 90C with P cores at 5.6Ghz and E cores at 4.4Ghz.
once my pc started crashing with Pcores at 5.7Ghz i turned it down to 5.6 and incrementally brought the Ecores from 3.8Ghz to 4.4Ghz and stopped because I don’t know how bad it is to go higher with E cores but I did try 4.5Ghz and there was a single crash then I stopped. 
when I get back to my pc I will try mode 3

also the included image is what I see in the bios

87313EAA-0AC8-47E9-99D1-3846EAC950E1.png

What does LLC do and what do the modes mean based on the image?

50A4E1A3-D6A1-4422-BC75-468EB2B4EDEA.png

6 hours ago, Zando_ said:

From what info I got mode 1 and 2 increased voltage and 3 stayed flat and 4-8 is lower but even with that I got a blue screen at 5.7ghz 

irql not less equal

but also zcpu reports core voltage 1.310 and it drops to 1.280 and once to 1.271

5 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Furmark is a gpu test not cpu bro 

Actually furmark has a cpu burner which pushes the cpu to its limit and I have used for ages to get a good test for my cpus 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, Yolo_gamer said:
  • I have an i9 13900k.
  • MSI Pro Z690-a DDR4.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A-DDR4

"14 Duet Rail CPU Power System
Smart Power Stage / 55A"

That board was just not built to overclock such a high power use processor, the z690 was always more geared towards the previous generation and your MSI Pro is not a top tier board either.
The cheaper z790 boards more geared towards the 13th gen Intel processors have 16+1 and 60amps, but even the more 13th gen Intel and OC focused 690 boards like the Gigabyte z690 Aorus Master had 20+1 and 105amps.

It might not be your only problem as success is down to all of the components including how lucky you are with the processor itself, but it definitely is a problem. Better power stages for stability is one of the main reasons technical people look to buy the more expensive boards.

Details here :https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1229-anatomy-of-a-motherboard-what-is-a-vrm-mosfet?showall=1 

First the Mobo - it's just not capable of handling that power, but also what PSU are you using? Even with stock boost the 13900 goes over 250W so with increased voltage, you'd have a lot more power draw as well and your PSU could not be up to the task as well.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the late response..

i am using a corsair hx1000 1000w psu

i am now using a msi z790 tomahawk ddr5 mobo but still have the same problem 

i have seen it get upto 280W at 5.5ghz and with 280W/12v=~24A its still less than the 90A max(shown below)

image.png.257cbf73a054e8270b052ead7df9382b.png