Poser on behalf of my Girlfriend.

SimplyChunk

For the last couple of months we've been trying to get the temps down on her i5 11400.  When she bought the PC from NewEgg earlier this year it came with this little flower type Cooler Master fan.  Her Temps are typically over 70c at idle and then a Cinebench run will push that to 95+ leading to the CPU clocking down for the remainder of the test.  We bought her a cheapo Chinese cooler about 2 months ago and after fitting it noticed her temps hadn't changed..at all..So i got her to take it off, take the motherboard out and mount the cooler again.  No change again.  We sent back that cooler for a refund thinking it was faulty and remounted the Coolermaster one.  Same temps but at least we knew where we were with it.  Today, we've just gone through the process of fitting a Deepcool Gammaxx L240 a-rgb and the temps are exactly the same as before with the other two coolers.  What i REALLY don't get though is for as long as she's in the BIOS the CPU temp only ever reports a 35c temp.  As a last ditch I've gotten her to pull the battery on the Motherboard to reset that see if it's anything untoward in there.  I'm at a loss now though.  It can't be faulty coolers at this point.  Her mounts look solid enough too

Specs:

Asus prime-b560m-a-ac

i5 11400

16GB Oloy RAM

nvme SSD

RTX 3060 Asus Dual

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Have you checked for malware/hidden miners? Sounds like thats possible. Does it go away when you open task manager?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What are you using to monitor temps?  What other applications are running in the background?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Have you checked for malware/hidden miners? Sounds like thats possible. Does it go away when you open task manager?

We'll check.  CPU usage isn't spiking though but i will check. thank you

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

What i REALLY don't get though is for as long as she's in the BIOS the CPU temp only ever reports a 35c temp.  As a last ditch I've gotten her to pull the battery on the Motherboard to reset that see if it's anything untoward in there.  I'm at a loss now though.  It can't be faulty coolers at this point.  Her mounts look solid enough too

Something is running on the OS, open task manager and look if anything is using a lot of resources, specifically CPU

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

Welcome to Intel 11th gen. Intel pushes their CPU's to the max, 95C is pretty common. So, it's not so much a faulty CPU or cooler, just your expectations for 11th gen Intel CPU's that needs tuning 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Just now, Velcade said:

What are you using to monitor temps?  What other applications are running in the background?

Was using Afterburner but i thought of that and got her to download HWInfo64 and that reporting the same temps.  there's nothing running beyond 'typical gamer' stuff.  Couple of launchers a little RGB software.  Stuff of that ilk. 

You didn't mention what case this is in? Some cases can cause quite a bit of cooling issues (granted even your idle temps are pretty high in the OS...).

Have you thought about booting into a different OS? Maybe use a USB and boot into Linux see if your temps are the same to eliminate the OS?

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

You didn't mention what case this is in? Some cases can cause quite a bit of cooling issues (granted even your idle temps are pretty high in the OS...).

Have you thought about booting into a different OS? Maybe use a USB and boot into Linux see if your temps are the same to eliminate the OS?

Asus GT301

I'll get her to create an 'OTG' windows boot stick see if that helps

17 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Welcome to Intel 11th gen. Intel pushes their CPU's to the max, 95C is pretty common. So, it's not so much a faulty CPU or cooler, just your expectations for 11th gen Intel CPU's that needs tuning 😉

honestly that's exactly what I was thinking going into this thread and what im still thinking... cb after all is gonna try to toast the cpu as good as possible! 

@SimplyChunk

did you check fan curves in bios and in windows for differences? Also seriously of course the chip will run hotter in cb than in bios, its not too surprising. 

what i think it is, it's some intel turbo boost / automatic power limit thing, which you can change in bios, happens all the time to the intel guys, its not a malfunction,  its just annoying and thankfully can be changed (im not sure how, my last intel was a pentium 1! 🙂 )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly that's exactly what I was thinking going into this thread and what im still thinking... cb after all is gonna try to toast the cpu as good as possible! 

@SimplyChunk

did you check fan curves in bios and in windows for differences? Also seriously of course the chip will run hotter in cb than in bios, its not too surprising. 

what i think it is, it's some intel turbo boost / automatic power limit thing, which you can change in bios, happens all the time to the intel guys, its not a malfunction,  its just annoying and thankfully can be changed (im not sure how, my last intel was a pentium 1! 🙂 )

Yeah we found 'Asus Advanced Performance thingy' in the BIOS and disabled it and that calmed the idle temps back down to 50ish to start but it's already crept back up to the 80s just doing a few things on it (not even in cenebench or anything.)  She was getting 100c in Chrome.  Malware Bytes didn't find anything and all that's in task manager is Discord and a couple of others that aren't even over 4% CPU usage.  She's got 21% CPU utilization at idle and a temp of 70+ now

Got a screeny of HWinfo Sensors

Screenshot_2022-11-13_120319.thumb.jpg.7b341240914ddc4803b249ea80e46e51.jpg

22 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Yeah we found 'Asus Advanced Performance thingy' in the BIOS and disabled it and that calmed the idle temps back down to 50ish to start but it's already crept back up to the 80s just doing a few things on it (not even in cenebench or anything.)  She was getting 100c in Chrome.  Malware Bytes didn't find anything and all that's in task manager is Discord and a couple of others that aren't even over 4% CPU usage.  She's got 21% CPU utilization at idle and a temp of 70+ now

i see, well at least some progress!  think something like throttlestop may be able to improve it more 🤔 

and yeah, 21% idle is a bit much... im getting a crisis if it's above ~2% ... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

56 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Not correct. Ia m also running an 11400f version though, and temps are fine even on cinebench run... I've only got a bequiet pure rock slim 2 cooler on it too.... complete build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BMWCC6

OP, I'd say it might be your case that's limiting it, or possibly even the mounting pressure of the cooler. At idle (for me this includes running jellyfin server, some nzb stuff and others), it's sitting at 42-44C mostly, and case fans etc are set to very low too, almost inaudible. Cinebench run took it up to 90C towards the very end of a single run on multi-core. Was running at 4.2Ghz all core. If left running it might eventually reach the point of throttling, but that could be addressed by getting more fresh air into the case, or buying a better cooler... if you've already tried a better cooler, which you have, then to me that suggests it might be the case isn't getting enough air in possibly... try running it with the case open and see how it goes.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Not correct. Ia m also running an 11400f version though, and temps are fine even on cinebench run... I've only got a bequiet pure rock slim 2 cooler on it too.... complete build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BMWCC6

OP, I'd say it might be your case that's limiting it, or possibly even the mounting pressure of the cooler. At idle (for me this includes running jellyfin server, some nzb stuff and others), it's sitting at 42-44C mostly, and case fans etc are set to very low too, almost inaudible. Cinebench run took it up to 90C towards the very end of a single run on multi-core. Was running at 4.2Ghz all core. If left running it might eventually reach the point of throttling, but that could be addressed by getting more fresh air into the case, or buying a better cooler... if you've already tried a better cooler, which you have, then to me that suggests it might be the case isn't getting enough air in possibly... try running it with the case open and see how it goes.

Yeah case was open when we first tested it.  buttoning it up hasn't made it worse so i doubt it is the case now.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i see, well at least some progress!  think something like throttlestop may be able to improve it more 🤔 

and yeah, 21% idle is a bit much... im getting a crisis if it's above ~2% ... 

Ok, thank you.  We're reinstalling Windows at the minute see if that helps at all.

1 minute ago, SimplyChunk said:

Yeah case was open when we first tested it.  buttoning it up hasn't made it worse so i doubt it is the case now.

Ok, thank you.  We're reinstalling Windows at the minute see if that helps at all.

no problem,  i do however think this is a case for @unclewebb, he's somewhat of an intel pro ! and very likely will know why this happens and how to fix it. 

even though Im still stuck at why its using 20% idle, probably some background stuff (rgb software etc) but let's see how the reinstall goes. 👍

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

no problem,  i do however think this is a case for @unclewebb, he's somewhat of an intel pro ! and very likely will know why this happens and how to fix it. 

even though Im still stuck at why its using 20% idle, probably some background stuff (rgb software etc) but let's see how the reinstall goes. 👍

Well to be fair, on the software side of things.  I THINK (don't quote me) she's running on the original Windows 10 Newegg install that we upgraded to windows 11.  So that might explain why the idle usage is high too

5 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

she's running on the original Windows 10 Newegg install that we upgraded to windows 11.  So that might explain why the idle usage is high too

oh, right, that's possible. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is the result after we reinstalled windows 11 on my PC. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions for what the problem could be :D 

1563475546_Screenshot2022-11-13124251.thumb.png.606742e2226aa0f0511c7b72bff55a51.png

90% Dunce, 91% Smooth Brain. Chirstmas Gumpdrops. 

18 hours ago, Skyesgaming said:

This is the result after we reinstalled windows 11 on my PC. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions for what the problem could be 😄 

1563475546_Screenshot2022-11-13124251.thumb.png.606742e2226aa0f0511c7b72bff55a51.png

Yep, that looks more normal. You'll have to monitor it for a bit to be sure though, as 1 minute or so is still very early to consider it fixed.  Ahh I see it's been 18 hours + now, so hope it's fixed for you 🙂

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yep, that looks more normal. You'll have to monitor it for a bit to be sure though, as 1 minute or so is still very early to consider it fixed.  Ahh I see it's been 18 hours + now, so hope it's fixed for you 🙂

So apparently "it only needs to be finger tight" applies to guys who have strength (and aren't 3000 miles away). His "finger tight" and my "finger tight" are two completely different things, but we finally cracked it. 70 in FF15. Finally @SimplyChunk<3 

90% Dunce, 91% Smooth Brain. Chirstmas Gumpdrops. 

23 hours ago, Skyesgaming said:

So apparently "it only needs to be finger tight" applies to guys who have strength (and aren't 3000 miles away). His "finger tight" and my "finger tight" are two completely different things, but we finally cracked it. 70 in FF15. Finally @SimplyChunk❤️

Cool, glad you got it sorted. Yes some of the PC building can be up to interpretation rather than an actual value. I lost cound of the amount of standoffs/screws that I've broken/stripped over the past 25 years for example. With mounting pressure, I always use a screwdriver rather than relying on "hand tight" for the thumbscrews, even though I am strong. For me it's a mix of being disabled and also awkwardness of gripping stuff like that in tight spaces. Always better to use a screwdriver IMO.... I usually go by how hard the screw is to turn... you can usually tell when the screw has reached the limit, then I do about a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn more.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini