Linux devs discover that Intel Arc GPU firmware updates need an Intel CPU

Trelligan

Title says it all, really. Plenty of people want to update their GPU, and lots of those will have AMD CPUs. This is a severe limitation since if anything needs firmware updates, it's the Intel GPUs.

Mandatory article clipping: [Link below]

In our review of Intel's Arc GPUs, we were generally impressed by their performance for the price, especially as a first-generation product. But buyers have plenty of potential caveats to consider, including unstable drivers, inconsistent performance, and a couple of weird problems that you need to dig around in your computer's BIOS settings to resolve.

Linux developers working on Arc support appear to have uncovered another oddity about the cards. According to developer Richard Hughes (as reported by Phoronix), updating the firmware on Arc GPUs appears to be handled by the Intel Management Engine, a small microcontroller that is only included in PCs with Intel processors. Hughes ran into the problem specifically in the context of IBM's POWER CPU architecture, but it seems to make firmware updates impossible on any non-Intel platform, including those based on AMD or Arm CPUs.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/intel-arc-gpu-firmware-updates-appear-to-require-an-intel-cpu-at-least-for-now/

Edited by LogicalDrm
Quote added

34 minutes ago, Trelligan said:

Plenty of people want to update their GPU

Do they?

I don't think I've ever touched any of my GPUs firmware all the years I've had one

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

How often do we expect to do a firmware update on a GPU? Unless it came with drivers and I didn't notice, I don't remember ever doing this.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I don't really care about firmware updates, I never had to do so with any GPU, I'm more concerned with the fact that it currently only supports x86 and won't compile for other ISAs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I thought these cards were designed to work only with Intel CPUs without suffering from severe performance reductions?  And why would anyone buy a graphics card that locks them in to having Intel CPUs?

Firmware updates on GPUs I think are pretty rare, at least for regular users. The only recent example I know of is for some early 30 series GPUs which needed an update for ReBAR support. The majority of the production had it from the factory.

50 minutes ago, heimdali said:

I thought these cards were designed to work only with Intel CPUs without suffering from severe performance reductions?

The only requirement for performance is ReBAR support. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

The only requirement for performance is ReBAR support. 

And AMD CPUs have that, too?  I might have misunderstood what I read; I wanted to find out what happened about the unresolvable hardware problem these cards were supposed to have a while ago and only found out that these cards have been released and have some disadvantages ...

2 hours ago, heimdali said:

I thought these cards were designed to work only with Intel CPUs without suffering from severe performance reductions?  And why would anyone buy a graphics card that locks them in to having Intel CPUs?

No they required Resizable BAR which works on Intel and Nvidia GPUs with Intel or AMD CPUs. What AMD calls SAM is essentially the same but only works with AMD 5000 CPUs and 6000 GPUs or higher. AMD is the one locking people in. 

9 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

No they required Resizable BAR which works on Intel and Nvidia GPUs with Intel or AMD CPUs. What AMD calls SAM is essentially the same but only works with AMD 5000 CPUs and 6000 GPUs or higher. AMD is the one locking people in. 

Hm, that's confusing.  Why would AMD need SAM, whatever that is, when there's rebar already?  Do I get a disadvantage when I have an Intel CPU and an AMD graphics card?

3 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Hm, that's confusing.  Why would AMD need SAM, whatever that is, when there's rebar already?  Do I get a disadvantage when I have an Intel CPU and an AMD graphics card?

SAM came first and AMD tried to lock it to 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series GPUs. NVidia then came out with rebar which was open so AMD had to open up SAM to be able to use Intel CPUs too. 

No. 

I wouldn’t mind all team blue in my next build

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

SAM came first and AMD tried to lock it to 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series GPUs. NVidia then came out with rebar which was open so AMD had to open up SAM to be able to use Intel CPUs too. 

No. 

* Rebar was a part of the PCIe spec for years prior to either manufacturer implementing it. AMD decided to slap a marketing label to this feature (SAM) when they started supporting it with their new Radeon 6000 series GPUs, alongside a load of claims about how it allowed you to unlock extra performance by pairing a 6000 series GPU with a new 5000 series Ryzen CPU, as if it was some advantage you got for going all-AMD.

Nvidia and Intel then rushed to support rebar on their own platforms, forcing AMD to acknowledge it wasn't actually an AMD-specific feature at all. AMD also quietly opened it up to Ryzen 3000 CPUs later down the line.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

* Rebar was a part of the PCIe spec for years prior to either manufacturer implementing it. AMD decided to slap a marketing label to this feature (SAM) when they started supporting it with their new Radeon 6000 series GPUs, alongside a load of claims about how it allowed you to unlock extra performance by pairing a 6000 series GPU with a new 5000 series Ryzen CPU, as if it was some advantage you got for going all-AMD.

Nvidia and Intel then rushed to support rebar on their own platforms, forcing AMD to acknowledge it wasn't actually an AMD-specific feature at all. AMD also quietly opened it up to Ryzen 3000 CPUs later down the line.

Which is what I said, just in a more concise manner. 

I remember intel maybe talking about that, but dont remember much.
If it was about firmware and other features, like deeplink and whatever else.

10 hours ago, Trelligan said:

Plenty of people want to update their GPU, and lots of those will have AMD CPUs

Wait people are getting GPU firmware updates? I thought they were just a myth. 
You Guys are Getting Paid Meme Generator - Imgflip

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

20 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Which is what I said, just in a more concise manner. 

nah, you made out like it was something AMD came up with. They didn’t, they were just the first to implement it following the PCIe specification, and that’s what the other person corrected you on.

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nah, you made out like it was something AMD came up with. They didn’t, they were just the first to implement it following the PCIe specification, and that’s what the other person corrected you on.

AMD implemented it first and marketed it as their own technology even though it wasn’t. It also only worked with AMD 5000 series CPUs at the time through a software lock. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:42 PM, tikker said:

How often do we expect to do a firmware update on a GPU? Unless it came with drivers and I didn't notice, I don't remember ever doing this.

well, not often but just recently 3000 series cards (amd too, perhaps?) got bios updates en mass (for "rebar") and as mentioned in the op the new intel gpus could likely benefit from a bios update in the future (in case intel figures something out)

also its just a weird way of gatekeeping on intels part and not a good look.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/5/2022 at 12:33 AM, Caroline said:

Uhh... no. Unless there's a BIG problem

generally true! but we just recently (last year?) had a huge wave of posts and news about "Vbios" updates regarding rebar (sam as amd calls it) and people were all over the place and excited about it... so its a bit weird nobody remembers all of the sudden anymore  : p

I did not update my "Vbios" yet btw, and im not sure i will... seems needlessly risky and the "instructions" from GIGABYTE are abysmal... 

On 11/5/2022 at 12:33 AM, Caroline said:

I'm not an Intel shill, nor I'm paid by Intel,

Same! 👋 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

odd move, even if it's not a big deal one has to wonder why Intel would deliberately restrict their market while they're still the new kid in town. I doubt anyone would be convinced to get an Intel CPU just because their ARC GPUs get better support there; instead they might not get an ARC because they want an AMD system.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think I've had several vbios updates on my EVGA 3080 since I bought it.  Most notably, the rebar update.  EVGAs software handles all of it, though.  

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

well, not often but just recently 3000 series cards (amd too, perhaps?) got bios updates en mass (for "rebar") and as mentioned in the op the new intel gpus could likely benefit from a bios update in the future (in case intel figures something out)

also its just a weird way of gatekeeping on intels part and not a good look.

Is it intentional gatekeeping though? Or did they just build on what they knew and had on hand.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

Is it intentional gatekeeping though? Or did they just build on what they knew and had on hand.

yeah... it just looks very much like beta testing all around... doubt they'd lock it to intel cpus indefinitely... not if they want to seriously compete 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well the article has been updated with a reply from Intel that you can update the firmware on AMD systems as well.

Personally I think I only updated a video card bios once.