Linux devs discover that Intel Arc GPU firmware updates need an Intel CPU

Trelligan

I had a 550 TI with a bad firmware on it. Updated it 3 times, and each time I updated it, it worked better than before.

Probably going to have to update the firmware on my 980, I think there's a corruption issue there.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 11/8/2022 at 4:00 PM, antonymagnus said:

2 cents here is never had to do firmware update, although I will say that getting locked into a specific build be it Intel, AMD, or Nvidia really burns my chips. I hated that when I bought my monitor and got locked into an Nvidia setup, although I think some effort was made if I am not mistaken to allow via driver side Nvidia or AMD GPU. Not sure but that is the way it should be, whatever team one wishes right?

GSync is now more open for AMD GPU VRR support. I have a GSync monitor that works just fine with Freesync.

Intel stated that AMD users will be able to update VBIOS, so this is a good thing.

17 minutes ago, antonymagnus said:

Good to hear, ya! I was hopin for such a thing to happen cause big techies Intel, AMD, and Nvidia should all be open to that and play nice! Yup!

Of course. My feel is that Intel is still in development for features, and the 'Requires an Intel CPU' was not meant to be an actual requirement for updating, it was just a feature that hadn't been built out properly yet. Just give 'em time.

Well, I guess you aren't doing firmware updates very often, but we don't need to give Intel brownie points for something that shouldn't be like this. You still need access to be able to update your firmware even if you don't happen to be running an Intel board. It's the same stupidity that Apple pulls. Why am I punished if I don't buy enough stuff from you?

19 minutes ago, wamred said:

Well, I guess you aren't doing firmware updates very often, but we don't need to give Intel brownie points for something that shouldn't be like this. You still need access to be able to update your firmware even if you don't happen to be running an Intel board. It's the same stupidity that Apple pulls. Why am I punished if I don't buy enough stuff from you?

So, uhh, Intel released a statement stating that it is possible to update firmware on AMD systems… as mentioned at the top of this page.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 minute ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

So, uhh, Intel released a statement stating that it is possible to update firmware on AMD systems… as mentioned at the top of this page.

Oof, I should read before I post.