Can this run windows 10? Or what can it run?

DARBADARBZ

Can this thing even do anything?

Intel Pentium 4 1.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 128MB

768 MB of RAM

8 minutes ago, DARBADARBZ said:

Can this thing even do anything?

Intel Pentium 4 1.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 128MB

768 MB of RAM

My suggestion would be Linux. Windows anything over XP is probably not gonna be viable. IIRC, 7 either 1 or 2 gb of ram, and 10 won't boot with less than 2 and won't be useable with less than 4. 

A lightweight Linux distro is going to be your best bet if you want a somewhat enjoyable experience.

768g ram?  How is that possible on a pentium 4?  Or is it 768mb….

prob megs. Uh, Youd prob have a better time using Windows xp (32 bit) on it but performance might be sub-par. Can’t say for sure cause it’s been quite a bit since my XP days. Couldn’t hurt, it would be worth a shot.

otherwise I’d say try out [insert linux distro here] and have that pc be your “side box”. That is, unsure of how to play with linux?  Well install it for free, and play around. Mess something up?  Just reinstall it!

I don’t see any reason why not… on older versions the spec requirements are quite low yet its still quite a good experience. Especially with linux u could make it into a NAS, FTP, or any kind of server you’d like.  As the saying goes, it’s easier to learn by doing (playing) than simply reading a book.

heck, even with linux u could implement an Apache server (http/https) and host your own website if you’d like!  Whoops, that research paper is on my server, oh right I can connect to it from here. Bam, download the file on your laptop elsewhere.

Lots of ppl underestimate the power of “old” PCs. Personally I have a “scrapyard” of parts and PCs, and every time somebody has a pc problem 99% of the time I have that part, or screw, or extra PSU to rule out problems. 

maybe have it as a deticated (or dual boot) Windows xp retro machine?  Believe it or not a lot of older x32 games don’t cooperate well with new hardware, so that’s a consideration too.

if all else fails, save the parts for a rainy day in that toolbox of stuff, save the case, and make a retro build with modern equipment!  Ahh nothing more impressive that a sleeper pc that’s got a P4 Intel inside sticker, and yet your rocking a 12k (or AMD) cpu hidden under all that nostalgia

4 minutes ago, Cramig88 said:

768g ram?  How is that possible on a pentium 4?  Or is it 768mb….

prob megs. Uh, Youd prob have a better time using Windows xp (32 bit) on it but performance might be sub-par. Can’t say for sure cause it’s been quite a bit since my XP days. Couldn’t hurt, it would be worth a shot.

otherwise I’d say try out [insert linux distro here] and have that pc be your “side box”. That is, unsure of how to play with linux?  Well install it for free, and play around. Mess something up?  Just reinstall it!

I don’t see any reason why not… on older versions the spec requirements are quite low yet its still quite a good experience. Especially with linux u could make it into a NAS, FTP, or any kind of server you’d like.  As the saying goes, it’s easier to learn by doing (playing) than simply reading a book.

heck, even with linux u could implement an Apache server (http/https) and host your own website if you’d like!  Whoops, that research paper is on my server, oh right I can connect to it from here. Bam, download the file on your laptop elsewhere.

Lots of ppl underestimate the power of “old” PCs. Personally I have a “scrapyard” of parts and PCs, and every time somebody has a pc problem 99% of the time I have that part, or screw, or extra PSU to rule out problems. 

maybe have it as a deticated (or dual boot) Windows xp retro machine?  Believe it or not a lot of older x32 games don’t cooperate well with new hardware, so that’s a consideration too.

if all else fails, save the parts for a rainy day in that toolbox of stuff, save the case, and make a retro build with modern equipment!  Ahh nothing more impressive that a sleeper pc that’s got a P4 Intel inside sticker, and yet your rocking a 12k (or AMD) cpu hidden under all that nostalgia

I've got a 2600X in a P2 case from my childhood computer (at the time it was built it was pretty sleeper)

I'm surprised how many people see an old computer and never think to run the software it was designed to run.

you run windows xp and period correct games/software , thats what it was made to do and what it can do.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'm surprised how many people see an old computer and never think to run the software it was designed to run.

you run windows xp and period correct games/software , thats what it was made to do and what it can do.

If it's never going to be hooked up to the internet, and used for older CD games, XP is a great option.  I tried playing a few older CD games with XP emulated from W10 and either they wouldn't start due to a .dll that isn't in windows anymore, or they would but certain features like saving progress wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If it's never going to be hooked up to the internet, and used for older CD games, XP is a great option.  I tried playing a few older CD games with XP emulated from W10 and either they wouldn't start due to a .dll that isn't in windows anymore, or they would but certain features like saving progress wouldn't work.

You dont need cd's for these machines anymore you just emulate the cd drives.

Also , yeah this machine is probably 10 times slower than even the cheapest smartphone so nobody will be using it for anything internet based.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

You dont need cd's for these machines anymore you just emulate the cd drives.

Also , yeah this machine is probably 10 times slower than even the cheapest smartphone so nobody will be using it for anything internet based.

Tried a virtual mount for mine and it stubbornly still did the "I don't see a spinning disc, No Game for You! Next!" Soup Nazi style

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Tried a virtual mount for mine and it stubbornly still did the "I don't see a spinning disc, No Game for You! Next!" Soup Nazi style

well if you tried one disc one time on one machine and didn't change the drive letters then im not entirely sure your sample size is good enough to rule out disc emulation entirely.

On 10/24/2022 at 6:24 AM, BiotechBen said:

i tend to find this one works pretty well

https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.html

but if you were trusting windows 10 to virtualise a gaming disc 😔 i honestly wouldnt bother

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

On 10/27/2022 at 6:50 AM, cretsiah said:

i tend to find this one works pretty well

https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.html

but if you were trusting windows 10 to virtualise a gaming disc 😔 i honestly wouldnt bother

I’ve had no problem, although older games are fussy (place disk 2 in drive D) even though it would be mounted on E for example

perhaps mount one at a time?  Other than that there used to be an app to mount disks/iso files. Forget the name… I’m sure a Google search would pull it up (it’s freeware)

On 11/1/2022 at 3:36 AM, Cramig88 said:

I’ve had no problem, although older games are fussy (place disk 2 in drive D) even though it would be mounted on E for example

perhaps mount one at a time?  Other than that there used to be an app to mount disks/iso files. Forget the name… I’m sure a Google search would pull it up (it’s freeware)

you may have run the cheat to allow drm like safedisc etc  to work on windows 10 from some of those old discs...... otherwise windows 10 would throw a hissy fit...... using the virtual clone cd program avoided that (even using the original discs )

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch