LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh
14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd dearly love to make a movie, even a stop motion one, alas I lack the money and time (and talent and equipment and and and and so on)

Didn't stop Trey Parker & Matt Stone.

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Didn't stop Trey Parker & Matt Stone.

Touche!

Though you bring up an interesting point, what if we, the fine folks in the LTT movie thread, were to band together and collaborate on a short film of some sort? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Touche!

Though you bring up an interesting point, what if we, the fine folks in the LTT movie thread, were to band together and collaborate on a short film of some sort? 

Spoiler

fan fiction? =D

I took a class on storyboarding.
Basically you write a script first.

Then as you move on from that script,

you draw little panels showing your scenes you want to make/shoot and write what actions will be.

There's a few story arcs one can follow.
in that class, the first task was to re-write the 3 little pigs using those characters, but you need a different plot.

Only 4 panels (images) were allowed.

Chinese comedies are fantastic. 

I previously saw kung Fu hustle. Pretty good. 

Now I heard about this movie called from Beijing with love and it looks great. 

The Outfit was good. Would recommend.

Also watched Bullet Train. Was a fun movie. Reminded me a little of smoking aces where a group of assassins are all trying to kill the same target. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 2/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, Radium_Angel said:

So, I need a movie suggestion. I'd like to watch something science fictionish.

Difficulty: Would like it to be set on a ship, or an alien planet

Bonus difficulty: Alien monsters should be involved

Double bonus difficulty: I've seen most alien monster films put out since the year 2000, both Hollywood and B-tier, so things like Alien, Predator, etc I've seen multiple times.

Have you seen Life? Set on a space ship with an alien monster.

Pitch Black has alien monsters in it I guess.

The Thing? 😛

Not really monster movies but for set on a ship/space I would recommend

Sunshine

Event Horizon

Moon

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Have you seen Life? Set on a space ship with an alien monster.

Pitch Black has alien monsters in it I guess.

The Thing? 😛

Not really monster movies but for set on a ship/space I would recommend

Sunshine

Event Horizon

Moon

Seen them all...

Like I said, this one is a challenge

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The Outfit was good. Would recommend.

Ahh, finally, universe expanding to the people that make the suites in John Wick!! (Gunna check this out)

<edit>
Looks like there's a 1973 outfit too.
</edit>

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Also watched Bullet Train. Was a fun movie. Reminded me a little of smoking aces where a group of assassins are all trying to kill the same target. 

Really?
I turned that movie off.

Felt a bit... "Seth Rogan-ey" so to speak if that makes sense.

44 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Seen them all...

Last tries...
Paul
ET
Buzz Lightyear... The cartoon from like the 90s/early 2000s.
Lightyear, the new one... pretty good. Has Aliens.

Just now, fpo said:

Last tries...
Paul
ET
Buzz Lightyear... The cartoon from like the 90s/early 2000s.
Lightyear, the new one... pretty good. Has Aliens.

Buzz and Paul are more of comedy than serious, but I have not seen Paul, I'll add it to my list.

Cheers! 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Buzz and Paul are more of comedy than serious, but I have not seen Paul, I'll add it to my list.

Cheers! 

The early 2000s/90s buzz cartoon was fairly action packed iirc. ... targets kids lol.

Paul is, ... it's a movie haha. Probably watch it intoxicated for the best experience.

Just now, fpo said:

Probably watch it intoxicated for the best experience.

That'll be a trick as I do not drink, but I'll lower my expectations accordingly.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Drugs are also a possibility.

Ha, also true, but I don't do them either (nor caffeine)

Health reasons for all of the above, but feel free to do my share! I do not mind

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Drugs are also a possibility.

You heard it here first, @Radium_Angel. The LTT Moderators suggest snorting a fat line of blow and shooting up a sick dose of heroine for the optimal movie watching experience.
xD

I don't like to watch movies intoxicated cuz I don't like to watch bad movies haha.

59 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Seen them all...

@Spotty threw out a bunch I would have, but seems like you're seen them already.

I'm assuming you've probably seen some of these as well, but here we go anyway.

Pandorum

The Last Days on Mars

Solaris

Pitch Black

Starship Troopers

Apollo 18

The Dark Side of the Moon

Cube (never really confirmed where it takes place, though)

Haven't seen a lot of them in ages, so I don't recall how good they were, to be honest, and some, like Starship Troopers, aren't to be taken too serious.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

40 minutes ago, WildDagwood said:

@Spotty threw out a bunch I would have, but seems like you're seen them already.

I'm assuming you've probably seen some of these as well, but here we go anyway.

Pandorum

The Last Days on Mars

Solaris

Pitch Black

Starship Troopers

Apollo 18

The Dark Side of the Moon

Cube (never really confirmed where it takes place, though)

Haven't seen a lot of them in ages, so I don't recall how good they were, to be honest, and some, like Starship Troopers, aren't to be taken too serious.

Yup, seen them all. The Cube series is pretty good. Pitch Black and the sequels are good as well, though the last one is kind of a rehash of the first, it's grown on me.

ST 1, 2, 3 and the animated flicks are all, if nothing else, an amusing watch.

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yup, seen them all. The Cube series is pretty good. Pitch Black and the sequels are good as well, though the last one is kind of a rehash of the first, it's grown on me.

ST 1, 2, 3 and the animated flicks are all, if nothing else, an amusing watch.

Weren't lying, you're a tough cookie on this one.

The Sphere (technically not space, but maybe a similar feel being deep under water?)

Red Planet

High Life

Stowaway

Oxygen

Might need more time to ponder, I'm sure there's some more.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

15 minutes ago, WildDagwood said:

High Life

I hadn't heard of that flick, the IMDB page lists one of the keywords as "horror"...can you elaborate?

The others I have seen.

Sphere was a neat read, and fairly faithful to the book when they made it to a film.

What I am primarily looking for is horror set in space. Pandorum was brilliant until the end, though the film has grown on me with repeated watchings. Ditto films like Sunshine.

I do appreciate your suggestions however, but yes, I've seen virtually everything (it seems) that's science-fiction (that's my drug of choice)

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I hadn't heard of that flick, the IMDB page lists one of the keywords as "horror"...can you elaborate?

The others I have seen.

Sphere was a neat read, and fairly faithful to the book when they made it to a film.

What I am primarily looking for is horror set in space. Pandorum was brilliant until the end, though the film has grown on me with repeated watchings. Ditto films like Sunshine.

I do appreciate your suggestions however, but yes, I've seen virtually everything (it seems) that's science-fiction (that's my drug of choice)

Thought that might be the case. Not sure why, but I lean towards space horror a lot as well.

This one's in my watch list as well though. Unfortunately, can't give too much insight. My guess is things devolve into a shit show amongst the prisoner's, given the circumstances.

Edit: Dark City (not space-like, but involved ominous beings) might be up your alley?

Parasoshill

adjective

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, but I bet you haven't seen Spaceballs. Checkmate. /s 

What is it about sci fi/space films you like? Maybe we can recommend something outside the genre that you might also like.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Really?
I turned that movie off.

Felt a bit... "Seth Rogan-ey" so to speak if that makes sense.

Stupid. The term for Seth Rogan-ey is stupid.

It has that Netflix formulaic put big stars in a movie add some CGI and keep everything safe and simple for mass consumption. It's like eating a Big Mac. Was still a bit of fun though. The scenes with the girl were pretty cringey and annoying though, and I think Michael Shannon sucked trying to play a Russian villain. The banter between the two brothers and their dynamic with Brad Pitt was entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, WildDagwood said:

Dark City

Fantastic film! 

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Stupid. The term for Seth Rogan-ey is stupid.

It has that Netflix formulaic put big stars in a movie add some CGI and keep everything safe and simple for mass consumption. It's like eating a Big Mac. Was still a bit of fun though. The scenes with the girl were pretty cringey and annoying though, and I think Michael Shannon sucked trying to play a Russian villain. The banter between the two brothers and their dynamic with Brad Pitt was entertaining. 

I think I only got to the part where

Spoiler

A guy or girl kidnapped the other gender and called someone on the phone to threaten something and said like "if I don't call back in X time, kill person"

And idk... I can kinda see that but I don't like mediocrity. Almost prefer nothing haha. 

But yeah Seth Rogan movies usually make half the jokes "let's smoke weed and get high" like we're 12 haha. So it's not quite a good word for that movie. 

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What is it about sci fi/space films you like?

The isolated nature (sort of like one-room horror films, like the Cube trilogy, or Fermat's Theorem) 

As to suggestions, Here are the themes I like in movies:

Realistic endings (I hate tacked on stupid hollywood happy endings, especially to films that built up to be dark and hopeless. Pandorum comes to mind as a prime example. Brilliant film until the end of sunshine and rainbows.)

Character growth/changes/arcs. Like Edge of Tomorrow, main character was a self-centered jerk that in the end became better for the trials he had to go through.

Monsters/Aliens: Tremors, Aliens, Predators. Putting a simple human up against an advanced being, and seeing how it plays out.

Using your wits: Like good heist films where the hero is perhaps reluctant, or in over his head and has to think his way out. Heist, Inside Man (2006), Ronin, the Italian Job, stuff like that

Action-oriented Post Apocalypses:  Max Mad (natch), Wyrmwood, Dawn of the Dead series

Really unsettling (but non-jump scare stuff, because that's a cheap cop-out) horror films, like Grave Encounters.

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The isolated nature (sort of like one-room horror films, like the Cube trilogy, or Fermat's Theorem) 

Phone booth? 

As to suggestions, Here are the themes I like in movies:

Realistic endings (I hate tacked on stupid hollywood happy endings, especially to films that built up to be dark and hopeless. Pandorum comes to mind as a prime example. Brilliant film until the end of sunshine and rainbows.)

Character growth/changes/arcs. Like Edge of Tomorrow, main character was a self-centered jerk that in the end became better for the trials he had to go through.

Monsters/Aliens: Tremors, Aliens, Predators. Putting a simple human up against an advanced being, and seeing how it plays out.

Using your wits: Like good heist films where the hero is perhaps reluctant, or in over his head and has to think his way out. Heist, Inside Man (2006), Ronin, the Italian Job, stuff like that

Action-oriented Post Apocalypses:  Max Mad (natch), Wyrmwood, Dawn of the Dead series

Really unsettling (but non-jump scare stuff, because that's a cheap cop-out) horror films, like Grave Encounters.

The conjuring series? Except nun, that was retarded. "Let's throw a whole baseball sized vial of Jesus Christ's blood" like wtf...

Don't care about spoilers for people it's a crappy movie you shouldn't see. 

Sinister is another good series that's tense but not jump scarey

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Phone booth? 

Brilliant film, I love how all the main character's sins are basically forced out. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

conjuring

I had dismissed them based on the trailers making them seem like unending jump scares, but perhaps I have have to revisit this