LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh

Watched Interstellar this afternoon and pleasantly surprised by it. Really far fetched of a story, but given how little we know of space and time and gravity, its not that unbelievable. Definitely worth the watch. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

• 2 weeks later...

At 2am this morning I watched "The First Purge"

Interesting premise not fully realized, which is sort of a shame, but it delves too much into violence and not enough into the political backdrop/ramifications 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

my favorite movie from last year was most definitely Top Gun Maverick. hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen.

the plot was amazing the action scenes were phenomenal just mwah best movie.

I particularly liked the flying scenes.

On 7/30/2023 at 3:23 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

Watched Interstellar this afternoon and pleasantly surprised by it. Really far fetched of a story, but given how little we know of space and time and gravity, its not that unbelievable. Definitely worth the watch. 

the sound design is realy good on that movie

Watched The Outfit the other day. They could have done a slightly better job with the ending, but overall a good one. 

• 2 months later...

Just finished Knock at the Cabin. Definitely an interesting take on the old story about:

Spoiler

4 horsemen of the apocalypse and the deadly plagues.

Good movie all around though. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

• 2 weeks later...

Will definitely be making my way to a movie theater again this year. Just when I thought everything I had wanted to see had come out already...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't watched much in the past couple of months. Only movies I've watched have been Old Dads and Infinite.

Old dads felt more like a collection of bits from a stand up comedy act crudely stitched together with a weak plot about wanting their kid to go to an expensive private school.

Infinite was dumb. About people who are reborn and remember their past lives with one faction tired of being effectively immortal wanting to blow up the universe with some magic bomb to kill themselves and end all life to prevent them from being reborn and they've somehow made a gun that downloads people's souls on to hard drives trapping them in virtual limbo preventing them from being reborn or something. Everything was just dumb.

Been scrolling through Netflix and can't find anything interesting to watch.

2nd season of Reacher is coming to Prime soon so I might actually subscribe to Prime again to watch that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 1 month later...

Probably one of the most memorable movie intros:

Movie itself is not bad, but the intro is classic.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Supersonic_Supernova said:

Hot Fuzz with Simon Pegg is quite memorable and funny. Would definitely recommend. 👍

If you haven't seen Shaun of The Dead or The World's End, you should.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Watched 3 movies on Saturday,

The Family Man

Spoiler

B-: lots of plot holes. Former government assassin drops off the grid and lives a normal family life. Picture gets posted to Social Media and he's found and then uproots for a "family Vacation" from Buffalo to Las Vegas. Initially they were tracked via a GPS tracker placed on the vehicle but this is found out quickly before they ever leave Buffalo. This is the only time its explained (or hinted at unless I missed clues elsewhere, I do have a singular theory though) how they tracked the family to find them across the country in places like Ohio, Chicago, Iowa City etc... Massive Plot Hole. The story is decent because its all about protecting his new life and family from his former life. 

From here, the action sequences are cool with a blend of modern stuff like Valorant, Twitch, ESports etc. Like most action movies, lots of gun fire that makes no sense from world renowned trained assassins inexplicably no longer able to hit there shots and way to many Run from point A to B with 10 or 15 guys shooting at you with automatic rifles, but none hit you while all the liquor bottles blow up from the spray. You know, typical Hollywood shenanigans. 

Overall, story is decent, its just the journey from start to finish to tell the story thats not great. 

The Sound of Freedom

Spoiler

A-: oh man, where to start on this one. As with most adaptations of real life stories, things get blown out of proportion and embellished to the point of not being believable. The story and emotion is fantastic. Jim Caviezel performs masterfully in this movie. Definitely a great actor overshadowed by some of his off screen potential affiliations. 

Story is that Jim plays a federal agent named Tim Ballard who is in charge of rescuing trafficked kids and taking down pedophiles. It starts when he goes undercover to setup a child buy from an arrested pedophile in his custody. At the US/Mexican border where the buy/exchange happens, they arrest the pedophile and save a child, Miguel. Miguel (around age 5) tells Tim Ballard that his sister is held to and gives him the necklace his sister gave him of Saint Timothy and asks for his help in rescuing his sister. This is the whole precipice of the movie. Initially the Government supports his efforts in Columbia to find this girl and help shut down some of the trafficking being done in the country along the way. He hooks up with former cartel members for help. Right before what you feel is the near ending of the movie, the Government shuts him down and orders him back home. However, he quits his job and stays in Columbia on his own dime with his wife's blessing. The ending sees Tim Ballard cross a river into territory helds by drug runners and smugglers that even the National Army won't enter because its to dangerous, but a single man enters under the guise of being a UN doctor, is able to kill the leader after hes attacked, then escape with the girl. They build up the river battle line so much and then let it down so hard with it only being like 15-20 guys in the camp. 

Beyond the ending not quite making sense or living up to the expectations that were set as they setup the rescue scene and scenario, its a great movie that definitely brought a few tears to my eyes. The story is very real and happens daily. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't yet. 

Mortal Kombat

Spoiler

B: Its Mortal Kombat, but nothing like you remember for the old arcade games. Massive plot holes here too. Starts off with SubZero killing a legendary Ninja and seemingly erasing his entire bloodline to remove them from the Mortal Kombat games. They are able to track them based on the markings they get that identify them as combatants in the Mortal Kombat. However, there is a child who survives. This all takes place in the 1600s. Fast forward to modern day and the Mortal Kombat Tournament is soon to commence as Earths mightiest heroes do battle with those from the outworld. Other earth champions are somehow able to track down this descendant. SubZero comes to kill them off before the tournament starts so Earth has no champion and the Outworld's leader, Shang Tsung, can become earths new ruler. Long story short, Earth's champions prevail after some pretty cool CGI and fight scenes. 

Plot hole though is if SubZero and the Outworld people could detect and kill those with the marking, how did they go 6 or 700 years, and assumed many Mortal Kombat Tournaments in between, from the time he killed the Ninja to when the movie takes place? Also, the Protagonist is an MMA fighter who is a loser constantly and gets his ass beat constantly never gets his powers, but when he gets to training with Lord Raiden and the other Earth Heroes, his powers suddenly manifest as hes getting his ass kicked? Hes not even a character in the Lore or wider game of Mortal Kombat, but a descendant of who we know as Scorpion (The Legendary Ninja from above). How do we as fans get invested in a character we know absolutely ZERO about?

Overall though its a decent movie with good choreography for the fights and sequences and not bad CGI. Definitely have seen worse in top Hollywood Productions. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

On 1/1/2024 at 9:48 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you haven't seen Shaun of The Dead or The World's End, you should.

I've probably seen both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead 20 times each. but for whatever reason World's End just doesn't have the same juice to me.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

4 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

I've probably seen both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead 20 times each. but for whatever reason World's End just doesn't have the same juice to me.

I'm with you on this 1000%

World's End really missed the mark for me. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

With 2023 finally over and done with, what was your favourite movie of 2023?

Anything you're looking forward to in 2024?

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

John Wick 4

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Dune part 2, Mission Impossible, and that's about it.

On 1/1/2024 at 10:57 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

Mortal Kombat

Reveal hidden contents

B: Its Mortal Kombat, but nothing like you remember for the old arcade games. Massive plot holes here too. Starts off with SubZero killing a legendary Ninja and seemingly erasing his entire bloodline to remove them from the Mortal Kombat games. They are able to track them based on the markings they get that identify them as combatants in the Mortal Kombat. However, there is a child who survives. This all takes place in the 1600s. Fast forward to modern day and the Mortal Kombat Tournament is soon to commence as Earths mightiest heroes do battle with those from the outworld. Other earth champions are somehow able to track down this descendant. SubZero comes to kill them off before the tournament starts so Earth has no champion and the Outworld's leader, Shang Tsung, can become earths new ruler. Long story short, Earth's champions prevail after some pretty cool CGI and fight scenes. 

Plot hole though is if SubZero and the Outworld people could detect and kill those with the marking, how did they go 6 or 700 years, and assumed many Mortal Kombat Tournaments in between, from the time he killed the Ninja to when the movie takes place? Also, the Protagonist is an MMA fighter who is a loser constantly and gets his ass beat constantly never gets his powers, but when he gets to training with Lord Raiden and the other Earth Heroes, his powers suddenly manifest as hes getting his ass kicked? Hes not even a character in the Lore or wider game of Mortal Kombat, but a descendant of who we know as Scorpion (The Legendary Ninja from above). How do we as fans get invested in a character we know absolutely ZERO about?

Overall though its a decent movie with good choreography for the fights and sequences and not bad CGI. Definitely have seen worse in top Hollywood Productions. 

Personally (think we're in agreement), I felt they deviated too much, and making some rando whose main trait is being a shitty MMA fighter that can take a beating was a bit cringy. If you can disregard that, it was an acceptable action flick in terms of fight sequences, etc.

I honestly don't understand why it's so hard to do an adaptation, other than the people working on them have zero interest in the source material and just want to tell their own story, dressed up as something else because it has a following already and likely can't stand on it's own merits.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:37 AM, Spotty said:

either spiderverse, or They Cloned Tyrone, its a toss up for me.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

• 1 month later...

Very disappointed by Dune Part 2.  I loved part one but really didn't like the changes made to the characters and the story in part 2.

If you haven't read the books or seen the previous adaptations I guess it is a good movie, but I could not shake the feeling that things were all wrong about half way in and that feeling just got stronger by the end.  Really hard to enjoy something when a voice in your head keeps saying "that's not right".

I was so looking forward to this, now I won't be buying part 2 on disc and have lost interest in the next movie if they make it.  If I ever watch that I'll be waiting until it's streaming somewhere.

On the last WAN show they mentioned having to get done early because the Just Movies folks were going to use the set after seeing it, but no video yet.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2024 at 12:25 AM, MartyS said:

Very disappointed by Dune Part 2.  I loved part one but really didn't like the changes made to the characters and the story in part 2.

If you haven't read the books or seen the previous adaptations I guess it is a good movie, but I could not shake the feeling that things were all wrong about half way in and that feeling just got stronger by the end.  Really hard to enjoy something when a voice in your head keeps saying "that's not right".

I was so looking forward to this, now I won't be buying part 2 on disc and have lost interest in the next movie if they make it.  If I ever watch that I'll be waiting until it's streaming somewhere.

On the last WAN show they mentioned having to get done early because the Just Movies folks were going to use the set after seeing it, but no video yet.

After seeing both movies and reading the book, I have to agree, it was a little disappointing.

Part 1 is definitely more true to the book than Part 2. Although I do think they both stand on their own in terms of cinematic quality; they are very well-made films, and I can appreciate them for that. However, they do fall behind in terms of adapting the book, and the quality dips in comparison to the book.

I wish they would get Hyperion vibes as well as Villeneuve did with Dune Part 1. Low chance, yet I hope.

I edit my posts more often than not