LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh
1 minute ago, wseaton said:

I absolutely effing hated Blade Runner 2049 and don't get the hype. Boring, boring, boring.

BR 1982 is a masterpiece. One of the best films every made. Ridley Scott in his prime. Watch it late at night on the biggest screen you have with no interuptions.

this is interesting. one of the things I really liked about 2049 was that it was meandering. I felt like the movie just oozed ambience, the blocking and general set dressing was awesome.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

12 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

this is interesting. one of the things I really liked about 2049 was that it was meandering. I felt like the movie just oozed ambience, the blocking and general set dressing was awesome.

I thought 2049 was a good looking movie but I found the story rather boring.

I'm not sure which Blade Runner version I watched (I think Directors Cut) but it has been a while since I've watched it, if I find some spare time this week I might give it a rewatch.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

I have only ever seen the re-cut/final cut, whatever it is called. I guess I *have* to see the theatrical cut now..

There's anywhere from 4-6 cuts afaik. 

I'm going to give the final cut the chance. 

There are at least a few movies where the recuts and edits improved. 

I won't die on this hill but from what I've heard about star wars, some of the earliest versions aren't nearly as good as the latest releases with some of the things done. 

Could he have stopped a few versions ago? 

Probably for the best. But I'm satisfied with my 2016~ printing of star wars on blue ray. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

I won't die on this hill but from what I've heard about star wars, some of the earliest versions aren't nearly as good as the latest releases with some of the things done.

Original Trilogy Extended Edition.

I don't even like Star Wars, but if I had to pick favorites, there you have it. Original Trilogy is the best trilogy, and the extended edition is just better than the theatrical cut.

There may be some bias; I first watched the theatrical cut of A New Hope but ultimately grew up with the extended edition on VHS(wow I feel old).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Denis Villeneuve movies, who directed 2049 and Dune , to me all look the same. Big, blocky architecture with shallow characters and mumbling dialogue. Oh look, its another big cement interior with characters acting all serious and speaking lines phonetically.  Hes like listening to Ambient Jazz. After awhile it all sounds the same and is repetitive.  

Alien and then Blade Runner were astonishingly different but Scott directed them just 3 years apart. 

• 2 weeks later...

post weekend movie thoughts (long weekend for me)

Men In Black: still fun, that's about all I can say. My wife says I look like the little coffee drinking aliens, so that's cool I guess.

Beetlejuice: It is so wild to see these star actors so young. Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder, Geena Davis, Catherine O'hara, even Michael Keaton (though the makeup doesn't make him look at his peak, haha). This is another one that is still so fun to me. The last time I watched this was probably 15 years ago. The special effects are so comical and honestly still look fun, if dated.

but the big standout this week was..

The Grand Budapest Hotel: I have struggled in the past to get into Wes Anderson movies, but holy crap is this one fun. I like movies that play with things like aspect ratio and this movie did that quite well. After seeing Tony Revolori in spider man, and more recently for me, Servant. It was very cool to see him in what I believe to be hist first major role.

The jokes were good, the pastries looked tasty, and the goofy 'old school' effects were a nice touch.

I thought there was a clever moment where a ladder is bring dropped down in front of the screen, and as the it speeds up it starts to look like film rolling by quickly, don't know if it was intentional or not but it was quite pleasing.

Are other Wes Anderson movies similar to this one? Am I missing out?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

On 1/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, fpo said:

Could he have stopped a few versions ago? 

Probably for the best. But I'm satisfied with my 2016~ printing of star wars on blue ray.

Are there any high quality releases that don't have the added CGI?

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

post weekend movie thoughts (long weekend for me)

Men In Black: still fun, that's about all I can say. My wife says I look like the little coffee drinking aliens, so that's cool I guess.

Beetlejuice: It is so wild to see these star actors so young. Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder, Geena Davis, Catherine O'hara, even Michael Keaton (though the makeup doesn't make him look at his peak, haha). This is another one that is still so fun to me. The last time I watched this was probably 15 years ago. The special effects are so comical and honestly still look fun, if dated.

but the big standout this week was..

The Grand Budapest Hotel: I have struggled in the past to get into Wes Anderson movies, but holy crap is this one fun. I like movies that play with things like aspect ratio and this movie did that quite well. After seeing Tony Revolori in spider man, and more recently for me, Servant. It was very cool to see him in what I believe to be hist first major role.

The jokes were good, the pastries looked tasty, and the goofy 'old school' effects were a nice touch.

I thought there was a clever moment where a ladder is bring dropped down in front of the screen, and as the it speeds up it starts to look like film rolling by quickly, don't know if it was intentional or not but it was quite pleasing.

Are other Wes Anderson movies similar to this one? Am I missing out?

Idk if it's wes anderson, but Video Game Dunkey mentioned a movie called Playtime being an extremely odd movie.

As for grand budapest hotel, yeah I tried to watch that a number of years ago cuz the commercials were funny but dang was it such a difficult movie to watch haha.

I don't know about that.
There might be some websites that have the original no CGI movies in the highest resolution that can potentially be AI up scaled.

Are the VHS copies the ones without CGI?

2 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

23 minutes ago, fpo said:

I don't know about that.
There might be some websites that have the original no CGI movies in the highest resolution that can potentially be AI up scaled.

Are the VHS copies the ones without CGI?

There are some LaserDisc rips of the original trilogy floating about, but high quality they are not

More Info:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/8/18/6030725/star-wars-hd-despecialized-edition

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

28 minutes ago, fpo said:

I have a laser disc copy of episode 4 iirc.
Idk if we still have a laser disc player.

Same boat. I own the Japanese laserdisc of Episode V and I'd love to get IV and original versions of TOS but Laserdisc players are fickle. Blow on them and they'll break. I have a MUSE compatible widescreen CRT and I'd like to get a MUSE player and discs but cheapest player was $1000 plus shipping and Canadian customs. Cool idea, would love to have a Back to the Future MUSE disc but no thank you on price and maintenance. 

@fpo @Jeremy_H @Takumidesh

Taken from the high seas

"This is a reconstruction of the 1977 theatrical version of STAR WARS. The original shots were painstakingly restored using
various sources (listed below) and the film received an extensive shot by shot colour correction based on a fade free 1977
I.B. Technicolor Print.

VIDEO SOURCES:
1) STAR WARS Episode IV A New Hope Official Blu-Ray 2011 (Preliminary colour correction by You_Too)
2) STAR WARS 2006 Bonus DVD (sourced from the 1993 Definitive Edition Laser Disc Master - upscales by Dark Jedi, You_Too and Harmy)
3) Star.Wars.Episode.IV.A.New.Hope.1977.720p.HDTV.x264-DON (2004 DVD Version)
4) STAR WARS 1997 Special Edition (Reivax DTV capture)
5) Custom mattes, 35mm and 70mm film cell scans etc.
6) Team Negative1 35mm LPP print scan of the Mos Eisley sequence
7) Puggo Grande (1977 16mm print transfer)"

Probably the best you'll get

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the dark knight over the weekend.

Wife says: "I know that dark knight set the bar, but I like the batman better"

This is a couple weeks after she said: "interstellar is pretty meh, but I like the memes"

Anyway, divorce proceedings have been filed...

31 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Watched the dark knight over the weekend.

Wife says: "I know that dark knight set the bar, but I like the batman better"

This is a couple weeks after she said: "interstellar is pretty meh, but I like the memes"

Anyway, divorce proceedings have been filed...

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out but divorcing her is definitely the right decision.

The Dark Knight is one of my favourite movies. I tried making an ex-girlfriend watch the Nolan trilogy with me and half way through Batman Begins she just said "Babe, it's been an hour AND HE STILL HASN'T BATMANED YET!" and that ruined Batman Begins for me, I can no longer watch it without thinking that she was right the origin part drags on a bit.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I wasn't a fan of Dark Knight Rises.

I can't remember if I posted about it here but I had some pretty big criticisms of The Batman. It has been a few months since I watched it so can't really remember all the complaints I had off the top of my head.

Spoiler

But the final act with the riddler blowing the wall around the city to flood it made absolutely no sense. No where in the movie preceeding it did it establish that Gotham was an island city built below sea level protected by a 30ft concrete wall that runs around the edge. The small city surrounded by water depicted in the Riddlers plans doesn't match the landscape shown in the first 3/4s of the film.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

AND HE STILL HASN'T BATMANED YET!"

its called BATMAN BEGINS Carol, not BATMAN HAS ALREADY BEGUN.

I did like 'the batman' but compared to nolans grandiosity for lack of a better word, it makes it hard to compare. As to your point about plot hole, I don't remember enough about that scene to map it in my head, but I remember it feeling a little too farfetched.

Interstellar is VERY meh. 

The memes are better. 

Dark knight with joker is the best of the Nolan trilogy. 

The third Batman movie was mostly nothings going on. They take the city then just... "AAA open world game" it so to speak. 

The cool parts are just anytime bane says anything. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Interstellar is VERY meh. 

You would have had a ball at my house the other day then. I felt like the only person in the world that liked the movie!

2 hours ago, fpo said:

The third Batman movie was mostly nothings going on

mostly agree, there are some redeeming moments, but it is definitely the weakest of the trilogy.

You would have had a ball at my house the other day then. I felt like the only person in the world that liked the movie!

It's not terrible, but I don't think I will ever watch it again. Even if people put it on. 

mostly agree, there are some redeeming moments, but it is definitely the weakest of the trilogy.

I don't remember begins enough to say but to watch either now... Idk, I can't say they're super worth it. 

I did however see blade runner 1982 final cut for the first time. 

Very good. Very demanding of the audience, but I like it. It's definitely a movie you have to watch a few times. I think watching analysis would ruin the experience. 

I enjoy the Nolan trilogy, but I also agree that Dark Knight is the best. I'd rank Batman Begins in second place.

Christopher Nolan is one of the few names where if he's attached to a movie, I'm interested in seeing it based purely on the name.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just saw this thread and back when you guys were discussing good/entertaining horror movies, I can't believe you guys missed mentioning "Ghost Ship".
If you've never seen it before, it does have a few plot twists - Nothing that some coudn't figure out if they pay attention but a twist or two nevertheless.

It strikes a good balance between creepy and fun while not trying too hard or taking itself too seriously to be what it really is in the end.

Even though it's not that time of year for Halloween it's still worth a watch.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:56 PM, Beerzerker said:

Just saw this thread and back when you guys were discussing good/entertaining horror movies, I can't believe you guys missed mentioning "Ghost Ship".
If you've never seen it before, it does have a few plot twists - Nothing that some coudn't figure out if they pay attention but a twist or two nevertheless.

It strikes a good balance between creepy and fun while not trying too hard or taking itself too seriously to be what it really is in the end.

Even though it's not that time of year for Halloween it's still worth a watch.

Been a ton of 'ghost ship' films, some good, some lower than that.

Have you seen "Triangle?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5

On 1/30/2023 at 10:56 PM, Beerzerker said:

I saw this version and really liked it:
image.jpeg.45212beb450eed36e495108223ac4d57.jpeg

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Been a ton of 'ghost ship' films, some good, some lower than that.

Have you seen "Triangle?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5

good to know... I just googled it and it's exciting to know a few different versions exist.

The one I saw is super early 2000s haha.

Just now, fpo said:

saw this version and really liked it:
image.jpeg.45212beb450eed36e495108223ac4d57.jpeg

When that came out I binge watched that 3 or 4 times in one night. I don't think I've seen it since.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

When that came out I binge watched that 3 or 4 times in one night. I don't think I've seen it since.

You watched the same movie thrice in a night??

Just now, Takumidesh said:

You watched the same movie thrice in a night??

You don't do that? /s

It was when I was a kid at a sleepover at a friends house who had pay TV. Whatever movie channel on pay TV showed the same movie back to back all night. Being 11 year old kids of course we stayed up all night watching TV.