LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh
13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Quite a few for sure, but well-made movies don't do it nearly as much. Lord of The Rings, Predator 1, Alien, original Indiana Jones trilogy, original Star Wars trilogy, Top Gun(1 and 2), Back To The Future 1, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, etc etc.

Good movies are just...better. lol

Yeah.

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think it's more garbage because of the creative decisions made by the people writing and producing said content. There are some things made recently(and not so recently) that are pretty good, and he acknowledges them. The Drinker Recommends is a good series if you want to hear absolutely everything he praises enough to recommend it.

Andor he seemed to like for sure, along with M3GAN. Could also include House of The Dragon, The Terminal List, and Prey. All Quiet on The Western Front is on The Drinker Recommends.

There is definitely an argument that "he's too negative", but I'm not willing to put that all on him. If there are things that make movies bad, they should be talked about and hopefully fixed. If there are things that make movies good, they should be praised. Is the amount of negative things he says about modern movies and TV shows because he is negative himself, or because the things that make movies/TV shows bad so prevalent in our current society?

Those are just my two cents though. People seem to either like or dislike The Drinker. Personally, I've found myself thinking a good amount of what he says even before I hear him say it. /shrug

I liked him, but... okay hold on with me for a bit this will be difficult.

I find Drinker videos entertaining like Leafy videos.
Leafy sometimes made decent "gossip-like" criticism.

Drinker often makes strong arguments.

Lots of Leafy videos blend together with the over use of the word "Literally" and so on (See Idubbz content cop re-uploads on youtube)

Lots of big movies coming out have similar problems, so unfortunately the criticisms are all essentially catch phrases and staples.

It's kinda like turning on the news and expecting to see anything other than:
1. Taxes are too high.

2. The other political party is doing the things that define the political party being discussed.

3. There's a war/conflict somewhere and ethnic tensions rising.

If there were more nuanced flaws to criticize mainstream movies with, I'd probably watch more. I got my dose of social/political commentary in 2016 leading up to and including the election. I just get a whiff of "yep, someone is about to educate me on something" and I tune out.

I don't dislike drinker at all.
I dislike the movies he talks about cuz they're all terrible and immediately obvious how. Kinda like Leafy's videos where you could read the title and figure out most of the rest.

Drinker isn't unbearable in himself as leafy is, but maybe I'm coming across more understandably, that it's not him, it's the subject matter being too similar.

5 hours ago, fpo said:

The only reason I don't like watching critical drinker is because it all boils down to

"This is garbage."

"It's made for the 'modern audience' *reverb noises*"

"These casting choices are terrible"

Yeah, that does get a bit much when it's in almost every episode. Same with the cutaways he always uses like Tyrion throwing up. It's fine if you just watch one episode every now and then but if you watch a couple of episodes back to back or watch regularly it gets a little annoying.

He does have a point though. So many movies and TV shows are just gender/race/sexuality swapped from existing IP and it's lazy and it really hurts the characters and writing. When they release new properties with characters that are well written he's normally pretty positive of it (before going on a rant about all the other shows that did it poorly that should learn from it). As long as they keep releasing stuff like SheHulk and Velma there's going to be critics like Critical Drinker criticising it.

46 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The Drinker Recommends is a good series if you want to hear absolutely everything he praises enough to recommend it.

The stuff that the Critical Drinker recommends I generally like. Looking at that recommended playlist everything on there that I've seen I really liked* (except maybe Cobra Kai. I originally liked it but it got super repetitive and way too much teen drama after the first few seasons).

There's a fair bit of stuff that he has praised that isn't on there. Not sure if it wasn't enough for the "recommends" tag or if it's just missing. Shows like Reacher and The Terminal List were two shows that I watched and enjoyed from his recommendation that aren't on that list.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 hours ago, fpo said:

There are so many things in this trailer that make me angry xD

Marvin.jpeg.387a10e4cde9e0fc28a4cb5ea642d52f.jpeg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

megasnip

I got you. Yeah, I'm more or less on the same page with you there.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

The stuff that the Critical Drinker recommends I generally like. Looking at that recommended playlist everything on there that I've seen I really liked* (except maybe Cobra Kai. I originally liked it but it got super repetitive and way too much teen drama after the first few seasons).

There's a fair bit of stuff that he has praised that isn't on there. Not sure if it wasn't enough for the "recommends" tag or if it's just missing. Shows like Reacher and The Terminal List were two shows that I watched and enjoyed from his recommendation that aren't on that list.

I think "The Drinker Recommends" is the spot for things that are better than good, "great" if you will.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

21 hours ago, Spotty said:

SheHulk and Velma

Let's be fair here, they are crap. IMDB, which is usually quiet favorable to even sub-par garbage, rates Velma at 1.4 (but She Hulk is at 5.2...go figure)

But back on off-topic, have you seen the sci-fi series "Into The Night"?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10919486/

1st season was great, the 2nd season a LOT less so, but still worth watching.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Let's be fair here, they are crap. IMDB, which is usually quiet favorable to even sub-par garbage, rates Velma at 1.4 (but She Hulk is at 5.2...go figure)

But back on off-topic, have you seen the sci-fi series "Into The Night"?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10919486/

1st season was great, the 2nd season a LOT less so, but still worth watching.

Agreed - "Velma" is a total porta-potty fire of a movie.
The critics all agree on that and ticket sales do too.
That's what happens when you try to "Re-invent" something already established and loved for what it is instead of just leaving it alone.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Finally finished Ford v Ferrari yesterday.

Really good movie. Felt a bit like "Top Gun but with cars" at times, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Matt Damon as a Southerner with Christian Bale as an Englishman was not something I was fully prepared for, but it worked.

...it's been a while since I saw a GT40 out on the roads

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

20 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Finally finished Ford v Ferrari yesterday.

Really good movie. Felt a bit like "Top Gun but with cars" at times, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Matt Damon as a Southerner with Christian Bale as an Englishman was not something I was fully prepared for, but it worked.

...it's been a while since I saw a GT40 out on the roads

There is a new film about Mr. Lamborghini. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5533370/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Check out who is playing the main character...

I am looking for a good Haunted House film. 

I watched "The Legend of Hell House" last night. Not a great film (it is a 1970s flick after all) but it was an interesting one from the lack of musical score and use of fisheye lenses for some of the scenes.

Not looking for one with cheap jump scares, but genuine tension and atmosphere.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I would be grateful to the person who would provide me titles for movies which are whodunnit (detective mystery) in a limited/closed space.

The likes of (the ones I have already seen)

Hide contents
  • Murder on the Orient Express (the Suchet version),
  • Death on the Nile (also Suchet),
  • Knives Out,
  • Glass Onion,
  • And There Were None (BBC),
  • The Hateful Eight.

It's an older film, but there is 

Clue

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

and Deathtrap

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083806/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_41_act

Drinker is usually on target. Don't agree with him all the time, but when he's on he's on, and he's not afraid to dump on stuff.

He recently reviewed 'Sunshine' and nailed the film, it's positives and faults.

Not movies, but I've just watched Clarkson's Farm 2 and Invincible. I suspended my Netflix account this month so I've been checking out some Prime shows instead. I'd give both shows a solid recommendation.

Clarkson's Farm is interesting and has Clarkson's personality all over it. The sense of drama is done really well and they've done a good job with the pacing (likely in large part thanks to the editing) and it's genuinely interesting to see what happens throughout the season. 

Other than the "look at what they need to mimic a fraction of our power" meme I didn't know anything about Invincible going in to it, and watching the first few minutes I wasn't too sure, but I ended up enjoying it. J.K. Simmons doing the voice of Omni-Man was perfect for the character.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Not movies, but

But nothing....

Tsk tsk. 

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I've just watched Clarkson's Farm 2 and Invincible. I suspended my Netflix account this month so I've been checking out some Prime shows instead. I'd give both shows a solid recommendation.

Clarkson's Farm is interesting and has Clarkson's personality all over it. The sense of drama is done really well and they've done a good job with the pacing (likely in large part thanks to the editing) and it's genuinely interesting to see what happens throughout the season. 

Other than the "look at what they need to mimic a fraction of our power" meme I didn't know anything about Invincible going in to it, and watching the first few minutes I wasn't too sure, but I ended up enjoying it. J.K. Simmons doing the voice of Omni-Man was perfect for the character.

Is invincible that super hero cartoon? 

I thought that was the flash lol. 

Aside from popcorn, what are some good food to eat during watching movies/tv?

I mostly watch at my computer desk but other times I don't and I'm curious what your thoughts are. 

23 minutes ago, fpo said:

Is invincible that super hero cartoon? 

Yep. Follows the 17 year old son of the strongest superhero on the planet and his struggle between balancing a normal life and living up to his superhero father. 

23 minutes ago, fpo said:

Aside from popcorn, what are some good food to eat during watching movies/tv?

Potato chips. In Australia we have some flavoured biscuit things called Shapes which are good to snack on. Both are very unhealthy though. 

42 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I suspended my Netflix account this month so I've been checking out some Prime shows instead.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for movies to watch on Amazon Prime? Doesn't have to be Prime exclusives just anything available on the platform that's worth giving a go.

I think for TV shows I might go back and start The Expanse again, I only watched the first season a few years ago. I've been meaning to go back and watch it for a while but I've tossed up between starting where I left off or sitting through the first season again to get caught back up on everything since it has been years since I watched it 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Yep. Follows the 17 year old son of the strongest superhero on the planet and his struggle between balancing a normal life and living up to his superhero father. 

Potato chips. In Australia we have some flavoured biscuit things called Shapes which are good to snack on. Both are very unhealthy though. 

Yeah those shapes snacks look ... not great xD
They probably taste better than google gives them credit for tho.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Also does anyone have any recommendations for movies to watch on Amazon Prime? Doesn't have to be Prime exclusives just anything available on the platform that's worth giving a go.

I think for TV shows I might go back and start The Expanse again, I only watched the first season a few years ago. I've been meaning to go back and watch it for a while but I've tossed up between starting where I left off or sitting through the first season again to get caught back up on everything since it has been years since I watched it 

I think Workaholics is on amazon prime. It's aight at best. Definitely better for a middle school/high school/early college audiences.

At least a couple episodes ain't that bad.

I tried watching the expanse but... idk I found it pretty stupid in the first couple episodes of season 1. idk if I even finished the first episode haha.

Is it the same like throughout the whole show? I heard it's really good... but I heard the same thing about Game of Thrones & someone said you can basically skip season 1 so... idek..yknow?

Saw this last night

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15575470/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Highly amusing, but as with a lot of asian horror films, it kind of falls apart at the end.

If the director is to be believed, the used 2.5 tons of fake blood (about 568 gallons) and it shows

The Expanse had some good concepts, but I just couldn't tell the characters apart after awhile.

Stargate Universe continues to be my favorite space opera of all time, and by a considerable margin.

2 minutes ago, wseaton said:

The Expanse had some good concepts, but I just couldn't tell the characters apart after awhile.

Agreed. I enjoyed the 1st season, but once they introduced the alien spores (or whatever they were) I lost interest.

2 hours ago, wseaton said:

Stargate Universe continues to be my favorite space opera of all time, and by a considerable margin.

Is there a good season or series to skip to? 

Sg-1 is alright but, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I was younger. 

The original movie was decent. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, Spotty said:

Just watched Ambulance (2022).

It's 2 hours of Michael Bay police chases and explosions with the least amount of story possible to progress the plot from one cop car exploding to the next.

Good thing I chose not to watch it. For me movies and shows need a good story not just action.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

15 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

shows need a good story not just action.

IMO you need two of the following three things to be a good movie:

(1) A good plot

(2) Good acting

(3) Good special effects.

This is of course  (EDIT...I kant speel) for your average movie goer. For a critic you must have four of the three things listed above.

Not certain if I ever posted this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097858/

The most off-the-wall film ever made (by a well-known director no less)

The only way to watch this film is as follows:

(1) Watch the film by yourself, and take in the full gloriousness of it all.

(2) Repeat step (1) until the genius is fully sunk in

(3) Invite all your friends over to watch it, and watch *their* reactions to the film.

Watched Collateral (2004) last night.

Fantastic movie, and I need more antagonists played by Tom Cruise in my life.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Watched Collateral (2004) last night.

Fantastic movie, and I need more antagonists played by Tom Cruise in my life.

I have only ever liked one film with TC at the main, and that is "Edge of Tomorrow"

This looks like it might be number two. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have only ever liked one film with TC at the main, and that is "Edge of Tomorrow"

This looks like it might be number two. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Never seen a Mission impossible?