LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh
2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have only ever liked one film with TC at the main, and that is "Edge of Tomorrow"

This looks like it might be number two. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I still need to see that one.

I haven't seen a ton of Tom Cruise movies. A handful of Mission Impossible and Top Gun basically fills the list, so I've enjoyed branching out into some of his other films. Generally I haven't particularly disliked any of them, they're well-made films, however there are some I like more than others.

Collateral, Mission Impossible 1, and Top Gun Maverick are probably my top 3.

I have heard nearly only positive feedback regarding Edge of Tomorrow though, I'll have to put that on the list.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Never seen a Mission impossible? 

Nope. I don't like TC as an actor, or a person, so I don't watch his flicks

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Nope. I don't like TC as an actor, or a person, so I don't watch his flicks

I'm not much for disregarding work for a person's personal life, but I guess it's difficult to get into movies and not hear how he's impolite when the cameras turn off. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I'm not much for disregarding work for a person's personal life, but I guess it's difficult to get into movies and not hear how he's impolite when the cameras turn off. 

Agreed, it is why I rarely, if ever, look into what an actor has to say or does off-screen (the old adage "never meet your heroes") but TC's antics, along with people like CHristian Bale, are almost impossible to ignore.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Agreed, it is why I rarely, if ever, look into what an actor has to say or does off-screen (the old adage "never meet your heroes") but TC's antics, along with people like CHristian Bale, are almost impossible to ignore.

What's going on with Christian Bale?

I've only seen him in a few things and I don't typically pay attention to news.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

23 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's going on with Christian Bale?

I've only seen him in a few things and I don't typically pay attention to news.

Oh he lost his mind  over a human error on the set of his terminator film, and went off on a hapless sound tech. It was highly unprofessional and apparently during the entire shoot he was a jerk to this guy. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Oh he lost his mind  over a human error on the set of his terminator film, and went off on a hapless sound tech. It was highly unprofessional and apparently during the entire shoot he was a jerk to this guy. 

I Remember that one, came off as a proper douche.

Had no idea Cruz was a piece of work, but I don't really have that fandom mentality, or use social media that much, so I probably miss a lot of celebrity news.

Side note, though: A Few Good Men is a decent Cruz flick, imo (if you like court/military drama).

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Collateral

Just watched that. The music score and cinematography was fantastic. Highly impressed by both of those. The ending was sloppy, but a solid film otherwise. 

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Just watched that. The music score and cinematography was fantastic. Highly impressed by both of those. The ending was sloppy, but a solid film otherwise. 

Agreed, I didn't like the ending a whole lot myself. Otherwise, fantastic movie.

So lately (aka this 4 day weekend) I've been watching films about how people react under pressure in enclosed spaces/ or spaces they can't escape from.

The Belko Experiment

Circle (2015)

The Cube Trilogy

Exam

Nothing (2003)

Project Wolf Hunting

Project Wolf Hunting is Korean and totally bonkers OTT. Falls apart pretty quickly, but it's entertaining.

The Belko Experiment is pretty good though it doesn't really end as sort of peters out.

Mayhem is bloody great fun, best of the lot.

The Cube Trilogy...well, if you haven't seen those yet, 1 and 3 are the best but skip the recent Japanese remake of 1, it bring nothing to the table

Circle showed promise but failed to deliver

Ditto with Exam

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So lately (aka this 4 day weekend) I've been watching films about how people react under pressure in enclosed spaces/ or spaces they can't escape from.

The Belko Experiment

Circle (2015)

The Cube Trilogy

Exam

Nothing (2003)

Project Wolf Hunting

Project Wolf Hunting is Korean and totally bonkers OTT. Falls apart pretty quickly, but it's entertaining.

The Belko Experiment is pretty good though it doesn't really end as sort of peters out.

Mayhem is bloody great fun, best of the lot.

The Cube Trilogy...well, if you haven't seen those yet, 1 and 3 are the best but skip the recent Japanese remake of 1, it bring nothing to the table

Circle showed promise but failed to deliver

Ditto with Exam

I haven't seen cube yet. 

Exam was pretty cool. 

Maybe I saw a lot of bad movies before watching it, yeah it's not great but at least during watching the first time, it's cool for a horror movie. Lots of low budget horror movies are similar quality. Even if the concept is asinine. 

5 hours ago, fpo said:

I haven't seen cube yet. 

Thinking person's horror film

So, I need a movie suggestion. I'd like to watch something science fictionish.

Difficulty: Would like it to be set on a ship, or an alien planet

Bonus difficulty: Alien monsters should be involved

Double bonus difficulty: I've seen most alien monster films put out since the year 2000, both Hollywood and B-tier, so things like Alien, Predator, etc I've seen multiple times.

26 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So, I need a movie suggestion. I'd like to watch something science fictionish.

Difficulty: Would like it to be set on a ship, or an alien planet

Bonus difficulty: Alien monsters should be involved

Double bonus difficulty: I've seen most alien monster films put out since the year 2000, both Hollywood and B-tier, so things like Alien, Predator, etc I've seen multiple times.

Galaxy Quest.

jk that's just an alright movie if you're a kid.

hmm... all that really comes to mind is event horizon and maybe Pandorum if that's the one I saw on Netflix quite a while back.

SPOILERS FOR ENDING OF PANDORUM

Spoiler

Is Pandorum the one where they realise the ship is at the bottom of the ocean & their ship made it back to Earth but everyone on earth already died

or... they made it to the planet they were supposed to colonize?

I'm sure you already saw Doom, gravity, moon, the martian, all the original star trek stuff, not the JJ Lens flare stuff.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

the martian

I just saw that for the first time earlier this year. I've read the book a few times, but wanted to see how they handled the movie adaptation.

It wasn't quite the same, but it was fantastic and I was very pleased with it.

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I just saw that for the first time earlier this year. I've read the book a few times, but wanted to see how they handled the movie adaptation.

It wasn't quite the same, but it was fantastic and I was very pleased with it.

I saw the movie once. It was decent. Fairly fun. 

Just now, fpo said:

I saw the movie once. It was decent. Fairly fun. 

I'd like to see some of Andy Weir's other books made into movies, particularly Artemis. Project Hail Mary would be a good one too, but probably much harder to pull off well.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Galaxy Quest.

jk that's just an alright movie if you're a kid.

hmm... all that really comes to mind is event horizon and maybe Pandorum if that's the one I saw on Netflix quite a while back.

SPOILERS FOR ENDING OF PANDORUM

Reveal hidden contents

Is Pandorum the one where they realise the ship is at the bottom of the ocean & their ship made it back to Earth but everyone on earth already died

or... they made it to the planet they were supposed to colonize?

I'm sure you already saw Doom, gravity, moon, the martian, all the original star trek stuff, not the JJ Lens flare stuff.

Seen them all 🙂

On 2/8/2023 at 1:39 AM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I would be grateful to the person who would provide me titles for movies which are whodunnit (detective mystery) in a limited/closed space.

The likes of (the ones I have already seen)

Reveal hidden contents

I would recommend The Negotiator. A police officer is framed for a murder and he takes hostage a group of people whom he suspects are involved in order to discover who set him up. Has Samuel l Jackson and Kevin Spacey. It's not exactly like the Agatha Christie murder mysteries but it has some good suspense and tension and the hostage situation is a closed space of sorts. It's probably a little more action focused than those other movies though.

If you don't mind a bit more B grade then Mindhunters is a movie about a group of FBI profilers doing training exercises on a deserted naval base when they start dying and they have to figure out which one of them is the murderer. It's a bit more on the horror side as people are slowly killed off and some of the deaths are a bit gorey. 

Devil is a M Night Shaymalan movie where a group of people are trapped in an elevator and one of them is the devil in disguise. Again more horror supernatural focused but definitely a confined space and it keeps you guessing which one is the devil. It's not exactly a favourite of mine but it's pretty short only around 80 minutes.

That's all that comes to mind where there's people in a closed space and trying to find out who the killer is. Just keep in mind that none of them are that Poirot or murder she wrote murder mystery whodunnit style where the killer confesses at the end after the detective deduces who the killer is and explains all the clues.

... I guess there's also Clue lol. 

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 2 weeks later...

What has everybody been watching lately? Any movies people are looking forward to?

I watched Die Hart. It's pretty bad.

Plot summary is Kevin Hart plays Kevin Hart who is sick of playing Kevin Hart and Kevin Hart wants to be an action star. Kevin Hart is given a role as a lead in an action movie on the condition that he attends John Travolta's tough guy acting school to turn him in to an action actor.

The movie is pretty boring and the joke that Kevin Hart is rubbish at being an action star and can't do any of the stunts gets tired pretty quick.

There's a line Hart says at the start of the movie when promoting a fictional movie where he tells people it's garbage and they shouldn't watch it. Apparently that was a warning for this movie.

I also watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Romance is a genre I normally avoid like the plague but there are a couple of films that stand out and this is definitely one of them. There's a surprisingly robust cast with Jim Carey, Kate Winslett, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijiah Wood, David Cross...

Plot summary is about Carey dealing with the breakup of his relationship and finding out his ex had her memory wiped to forget about him and move on. Heartbroken he decides to get his memory wiped as well. As his memories are being wiped he relives all of the moments with the relationship unfolding in reverse order as the most recent memories of their breakup and arguments are wiped first going through the relationship all the way back to when they first met and fell in love.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The Witch Part 1 and 2.

Korean "superhero" films (I use this term loosely)

Part 1 is glacially slow and is more of "a day in the life of a Korean girl" until it goes to 60 in a heartbeat.

Part 2 is a waste of time.

"Corrective Measures" a low-budget supervillain prison flick. Could have been great with better actors and more more money, but the score is good.

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

What has everybody been watching lately? Any movies people are looking forward to?

I've made my way back through the John Wick trilogy in preparation to see John Wick 4 in a couple weeks.

lol
image.png.01bf55fb29b21a9d355432ba131f60b0.png

11 hours ago, fpo said:

lol

I'd dearly love to make a movie, even a stop motion one, alas I lack the money and time (and talent and equipment and and and and so on)