My parents let me build a pc but wont let me use it.

Abdullah sultan
On 10/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, sub68 said:

nope google classroom and google meet.

problem is most (educational) chromebooks are locked down to the point where if you want to do something like you suggest you would need to reinstall the OS but it bricks all the school stuff you need plus most acess to a school network

Schools actually use that? I think Google classroom is a data hoarding abomination that should be banned from use by children that are not old enough to decide on their own if they want to give all their data to Google and understand what this means. Its bad enough that Apple and Microsoft software gets used, but at least those are not 100% data hoarding advertising companies. Although they are close to that.

15 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Schools actually use that?

Yes. *stares at school issued Lenovo 500e chromebook*

15 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I think Google classroom is a data hoarding abomination that should be banned from use by children that are not old enough to decide on their own if they want to give all their data to Google and understand what this means.

these accounts are google education accounts. They are totally different than a normal google account security wise. 

since google knows these are edu accounts COPPA is full effect, also the accounts are the same as teachers and that has some serious documeants, that iof google was trying to do stuff uhm I think FTC plus deparmeant of edu would have a massive lawsuit that we would hear by now.

21 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Its bad enough that Apple and Microsoft software gets used, but at least those are not 100% data hoarding advertising companies. Although they are close to that.

Do you know any other user friendly devices and software that would be easy to use?

Seriously people say chromebooks are unsecured for data, but these accounts are thrown away after high school and google would be in massive turmoil afterwards so I think on terms they treat these differently than a stock google account.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

these accounts are google education accounts. They are totally different than a normal google account security wise. 

since google knows these are edu accounts COPPA is full effect, also the accounts are the same as teachers and that has some serious documeants, that iof google was trying to do stuff uhm I think FTC plus deparmeant of edu would have a massive lawsuit that we would hear by now.

COPPA is, as far as i can see, an US only thing and even with most other countrys having similar laws that would actually explain for me why chromebooks are a mostly US-thing, because the US is the only country that has a slight chance to investigate that.

But its mostly on a trust basis and i have very low trust in these companies, because they broke it too often.

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Do you know any other user friendly devices and software that would be easy to use?

I would totally reccomend almost any laptop with linux or even windows on it. There are even education versions of Linux.

10 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Seriously people say chromebooks are unsecured for data, but these accounts are thrown away after high school and google would be in massive turmoil afterwards so I think on terms they treat these differently than a stock google account.

I would say so, too and there comes the trust problem again... Also i see a massive problem in normalizing the use of Google services for the children. Most of them (or the parents) will then buy a chromebook later and use the Google services, because thats what they are used to. The popularity of Windows in company grew for the same reason, people wanted to use what they are used to from home and from school, not what is actually good for their work.

1 minute ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I would totally reccomend almost any laptop with linux or even windows on it. There are even education versions of Linux.

Yes, but can anyone use it? (including special education)

Like legit not a stupidly hard work around. 

2 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

COPPA is, as far as i can see, an US only thing and even with most other countrys having similar laws that would actually explain for me why chromebooks are a mostly US-thing, because the US is the only country that has a slight chance to investigate that.

But its mostly on a trust basis and i have very low trust in these companies, because they broke it too often.

I haven't heard google breaking education data.things.

and its been almost 10 years since launch IIRC.

5 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

would say so, too and there comes the trust problem again... Also i see a massive problem in normalizing the use of Google services for the children. Most of them (or the parents) will then buy a chromebook later and use the Google services, because thats what they are used to. The popularity of Windows in company grew for the same reason, people wanted to use what they are used to from home and from school, not what is actually good for their work.

yes, but you have to think a balance of features and mostly (in US) google classroom has all those features without many problems.

Remember google classroom is a solution to electronic classroom.

it reminds me the differences of radios for US public safety uses project 25 and EU public safety uses TETRA. each are based on publicly available radio technology, just modified to fit each teans/groups wants and needs.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Yes, but can anyone use it? (including special education)

Like legit not a stupidly hard work around.

My mother uses it daily, so the requirements to use a good Linux are no different to Chrome OS.

And when it comes to special education the computer will either be set up by somebody else before use anyway or immediately start the application needed on startup and and on which operating system this runs is not important.

Although i don`t know the details, i am not a school admin. But i know some school kids and i have never heard that any of them here even owns a or mentions chromebook, so there have to be other ways.

10 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I haven't heard google breaking education data.things.

and its been almost 10 years since launch IIRC.

And i really hope we never will, but even if we never will, doesn`t mean they didn`t.

11 minutes ago, sub68 said:

yes, but you have to think a balance of features and mostly (in US) google classroom has all those features without many problems.

Remember google classroom is a solution to electronic classroom.

it reminds me the differences of radios for US public safety uses project 25 and EU public safety uses TETRA. each are based on publicly available radio technology, just modified to fit each teans/groups wants and needs.

I don`t know that, but since a whole lot of schools don`t use Google software, there has to be another way.

2 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

And when it comes to special education the computer will either be set up by somebody else before use anyway or immediately start the application needed on startup and and on which operating system this runs is not important.

ahh ok, because I am in special education and I have to help other classmates figure out crap but google everyone knows, but I am saying that googles software is probably one of the most bulletproof standards that no one get frustrated, kinda like the US adoption of the ti80 series of calculators (excpet these are somewhat hard to use)

4 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I don`t know that, but since a whole lot of schools don`t use Google software, there has to be another way.

there is but, I don't know how it is, are school used canvas (same as a lot of universities and colleges) for alittle bit but its crap.

7 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

And i really hope we never will, but even if we never will, doesn`t mean they didn`t.

yes, I hope we don't.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, sub68 said:

ahh ok, because I am in special education and I have to help other classmates figure out crap but google everyone knows, but I am saying that googles software is probably one of the most bulletproof standards that no one get frustrated, kinda like the US adoption of the ti80 series of calculators (excpet these are somewhat hard to use)

I would love to hear more about that and be abled to help you with that, but my time at school is a bit in the past, so i can`t provide you with any insights on that. By the way, other countries also had good standard calculators, that worked for them.

I also think, we got a little too much off topic, but thank you for your insights. I can appreciate that Google works for you, but for me this only means that you either didn`t have the opportunity to try a good alternative yet, or one needs to be developed.

And even if it were from Google, if there were a version that runs on school servers with school accounts without any direct data connection to Google, it would be easy to make for Google and muuuuch better for data security. But thats just my distaste for large, centrally controlled systems where only one point needs to be hacked, have an malicious intent or even fail to affect the whole system.

5 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

but for me this only means that you either didn`t have the opportunity to try a good alternative yet, or one needs to be developed.

google (atleast for are school district) is the solution for what the district needs.

There are solutions, but its usually connected with microsoft.. etc but most of them are clould connected somehow

6 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

be abled to help you with that,

??? there is nothing really

6 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

And even if it were from Google, if there were a version that runs on school servers with school accounts without any direct data connection to Google, it would be easy to make for Google and muuuuch better for data security. But thats just my distaste for large, centrally controlled systems where only one point needs to be hacked, have an malicious intent or even fail to affect the whole system.

Problem working at home nothing would save at home.

Also there is a reason why people when going to hacker conventions like chromebooks due how disposable chrome OS is and no hacker wants to try to hack google just for your stuff.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

There are solutions, but its usually connected with microsoft.. etc but most of them are clould connected somehow

Problem working at home nothing would save at home.

The school can host its own cloud.

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Also there is a reason why people when going to hacker conventions like chromebooks due how disposable chrome OS is and no hacker wants to try to hack google just for your stuff.

I have never seen a chromebook on a hacker convention before, but that might be, because i live in the EU.

And no, nobody would hack Google for data from school children, but when Google gets hacked the data of all school children that use this software might be part of it.

By the way, Google has already been hacked and will be hacked again in the future. You can be sure that a lot of individual hackers and almost every secret service on this planet work on that constantly and at some point they will succeed.

1 minute ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

The school can host its own cloud.

Yes, but its probably expensive, problem is how big my school is it would over run the server, unless beefed.

4 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:
17 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I have never seen a chromebook on a hacker convention before, but that might be, because i live in the EU.

I have heard at defcon.

10 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

By the way, Google has already been hacked and will be hacked again in the future. You can be sure that a lot of individual hackers and almost every secret service on this planet work on that constantly and at some point they will succeed.

true, but it takes alot of resources I bet

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

10 hours ago, sub68 said:

Yes, but its probably expensive, problem is how big my school is it would over run the server, unless beefed.

I have heard at defcon.

true, but it takes alot of resources I bet

but it doesn't matter anyway

google itself if they collect any data officially or unofficially will use that data by themselves or under a different naming

then if they are "found out" they either pay a fine or find a scapegoat

26 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

but it doesn't matter anyway

google itself if they collect any data officially or unofficially will use that data by themselves or under a different naming

then if they are "found out" they either pay a fine or find a scapegoat

This thread is a mess. 

Google doesn't even keep these accounts they are wiped after a certain amount of time and they haven't kept any recommended stuff because on my account I get no tailored ads.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Get on your knees and thank them for ensuring that you don't become weirdos like 90% of the people on this forum.

You lied to them that you need the PC for homework knowing that you can do your homework on the Chromebook just because you wanted to build a PC for games.

Do you have top grades? Probably not.

Get good grades and ask them if you can use the PC and maybe do some chores like the dishes every evening.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:45 PM, Abdullah sultan said:

I told them that i will use it mainly for homework, then they realized that my school Chromebook is working okay so they wont let me use it. What am i supposed to do?

You should probably stop lying.

If you had told them why you wanted a PC up front, there would have been a greater chance of them letting you build and use.  

I find it odd they let you build one, presumably using their money, and now won't let you use it.  Do you have your homework done?  Are you delinquent in other areas?

As a parent, your story doesn't hold water.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi