I've had a great experience with Windows 11 thus far and I'm sad that so many people have had issues with it.

Proud Cipher

I was a little hesitant to upgrade to Windows 11 when it was launched, but what I had seen of it by then had me excited enough to try anyway. I upgraded from 10 to 11 about a month after it launched, and since then I have only had good things to say about it. It might even be my new favorite Windows version, heretical as that may seem. However a lot of people were having serious problems with their Win11 installs, and it made me genuinely upset that I was having a great time with it while others were being drowned in bugs and issues. I think even to this day some people really struggle with 11. Am I just some weird outlier, or have any of you also had a pleasant experience with it?

Post ITT your Windows 11 experiences, good or bad. I'd really like to hear what this community thinks of it currently.

Don't forget to mark posts as the solution if you're satisfied!

3 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Never had a single issue with Win 8, 10 OR 11.

You're not an outlier, it's just that the problems tend to get the focus, not all those people not having issues.

That is true, you don't often see floods of posts and comments like "wow, this OS works great and I have had no issues!" in media outlets. I guess I'm just a little head over heels for Win11 and want people to have the same great experience I've been having.

I'm don't generally have a "great experience" with any Windows version, or with Office 365 (which I'm unfortunately forced to use). I always seem to find myself having to go through some kind of unnecessary hassle to get it to do what I want.

I've given up on Microsoft now tbh. I just use Macs and Linux PCs. I wish I could still run Word 2010, that'd be good... as would Windows Movie Maker...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Windows 11 offers 0 features that makes it worth upgrading to for me at the cost of higher hardware usage. All I see is just a prettier UI and nothing else. It'd be a waste of time and potentially battery life on my laptop for me to upgrade to Windows 11. 

One thing I have learned in my 20+ years in tech is that EVERYONE HATES the new MS OS when they come out. It never fails.  And from my experience, 1-5% have legit reasons to complain or there are actual reasons something isn't working... but for the rest, they are just following what they hear from "others", or regurgitate some line from some youtuber or tech reviewer out of context and act like you are an absolute idiot for even considering the new OS.

Case in point: I recall working for a contact center that did Tier 1 and 1.5 support for WIndows XP on behalf of Microsoft. I remember that we would have to send out canned email responses when we were closing our tickets out. You know the "blah blah blah, thanks for contacting MS Windows XP support". Well, one day someone sent off one of those emails to someone, but the email was incorrect and OMG, the recipient was one of those "other" folks who think they knew best about computers. They replied, first they assumed that MS had hacked their account to get their email address (SMH), and then went on to trash Windows XP as a garbage OS, and that he has been fixing computers for x number of years and he would never put anything other than Windows 98se on any system he built... And would never go to XP.... I guess that guy is still rocking FAT32 and max 3.5gb memory. 

Anywhoo, because my livelihood has always been rooted in the "deskside" experience. I always welcome a new OS to try. Unless I suffer from one of those 1-5% issues, where my system is completely unusable, I'll usually stick it out with the new OS. I made even the "troubled" OSes work very well for me. I rocked ME, Vista, Windows 8 all without complaints... well maybe a minor one with Windows 8, my god MS, what were you thinking with that "charms" page.

But yeah, that's just my rambling thoughts on the matter. 

17 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Its not just about issues.

The hate is partially about the business policies of Windows 8/10/11, which you dont seem to give a shit about, and thats a damn shame.

People really do be not caring about privacy and basic human rights until its too fucking late

Yeah, you're right there. I used to care. I used to go to great lengths to try and protect my privacy and personal data. But after years and years and years of fighting and being beaten down by other life circumstances, I just don't have the energy to care anymore. I'm not sure I ever had good OpSec anyway. I'm glad there are still people trying to stand up against this bullshit, but I just can't anymore. Dealing with a lot of personal issues and I have to focus what little I have left onto repairing those issues.

No issues here after over a year on 4 machines. In my experience issues stem from irrational users with insane standards and/or inexperienced users doing "upgrades" on old/dirty installs of 10.

I think it's a bit much to say people are having "serious" problems...

2 hours ago, Proud Cipher said:

Post ITT your Windows 11 experiences, good or bad. I'd really like to hear what this community thinks of it currently.

Bad:

• Clicking on update & shutdown usually ends up with update & restart... Because yeah that is what I actually wanted to do, thanks MS!
  • Taskbar likes to freak out, either not showing window previews when I hover my mouse over a program in the taskbar or displaying previews behind another window (instead of being on top of everything else). Really annoying if you have two instances of the same program running.
  • Windows sometimes forgets the taskbar is there, allowing apps like browser to maximize over it (even though I didn't click on go fullscreen, just the maximize square button) and no I didn't set autohide taskbar.
  • Had two failed updates so far... they resolved themselves on their own though - that is a plus, but it wasn't entertaining seeing the PC restarting 5x and accomplishing nothing (especially after telling it to update & f***** shutdown)
  • One of the updates asked me all the same questions about privacy and telemetry, everything I already said NO to during install.
  • Still waiting for Android app support, I know it is available in the preview...
  • Still waiting for tabs in file explorer.
  • Had to waste time fiddling with registry just to get the old context menu back (new one is pretty looking but functionally worse) and to get rid of bing results everywhere.
  • Booting to Linux after Windows = time and clock work fine without me touching anything. Booting to Windows after Linux = incorrect time, had to write a PS script to sync time, then after a month or so had to edit the script because MS changed execution policy without me touching anything, again thanks MS!
  • Being annoyed via notifications to upgrade my OneDrive, get O365 etc.

Good:

• Looks nice.
  • Dark mode for notepad and task manager arrived.
  • Settings is slowly getting consolidated, control panel is still needed for some stuff though.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

No issues here after over a year on 4 machines. In my experience issues stem from irrational users with insane standards and/or inexperienced users doing "upgrades" on old/dirty installs of 10.

I think it's a bit much to say people are having "serious" problems...

Clean install, the only things I use Windows nowadays is for: gaming and sniffing usb packets.

I use Linux desktop for work, my standards aren't irrational, sure I've seen bugs in Manjaro KDE during the almost 2 years I've been running it, but none have been nearly as annoying as this taskbar nonsense I'm having on Windows. What is even worse my options are: wait & see if taskbar stops tripping or clean install again and cross my fingers it doesn't screw up immediately or within few months again... or install some 3rd party software I trust enough to install, and even then it might just randomly stop working after a windows update.

Windows:

Spoiler

image.png.b1c3bfba2692e4d36c5dfdef9a81d74b.png

KDE:

Spoiler

image.png.bb8a3defcb4a79591748a1970ea41e4e.png

The worst thing, win 10 had "Never combine taskbar buttons" and that would have been a fair and easy workaround, there isn't such an option in win 11, again thanks MS for taking options away from me, for my own good of course.

Maybe I can mod that with some custom dll, or fiddling with registry some more or writing a script for it... wait am I on Linux or Windows where everything just works! 😆
Maybe I'm just "holding it wrong".
Maybe I'm just cursed 😆, had issues with macOS as well this year, doing absolutely nothing spectacular... like updating Xcode and getting stuck at 99% for a whole day.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

2 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Manjaro KDE

best distro 🥰

Also: I forgot to mention my Win 11 Pro was an upgrade from my old, messy Win 10 install rather than clean. Why tf did you have so many problems with a clean install when my "begging for death" worn out Win 10 to 11 upgrade works flawlessly? I simply do not understand why this is the case. Based on what I've heard my upgrade should have all but bricked my machine, but the biggest complaint I have about 11 is them hiding the audio settings and mixer menus! Your taskbar freaking out? Mine should too, but 11 is running smoother than 10 ever did and made the taskbar one of my favorite changes! What is this bizarre disparity? By all logic your install should have been fine and mine should have been a disaster. It's actually starting to stress me out lmao!

Did I get Ballmer's Golden Ticket or something? What is happening?

9 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Honestly man, i relate. 

I just deal with it by taking it out on those who have wronged me (including the corporations)
All this bullshit is sort of, fueling me.

Occasionally i wonder if this hatred is the only thing keeping me going, and preventing me from going completely hollow

haha sometimes spite is what motivates me the most to do something when all else fails

16 hours ago, Proud Cipher said:

Good. Windows 7,10 and 11 have been great for me. Heard all the horror stories of updates bricking systems, instability and just short of Windows blowing up peoples houses.

Never had a bad update or system instability not related to hardware. It's usable and I am perfectly fine with how everything functions in windows.

Only real concern was windows 10 onwards in regards to privacy. Disabling telematry etc is great and all but it's not clear what is exactly being sent back to the mothership. I do my best to keep myself private but only so much can be done.

Also not happy about the system usage. Linux has a smaller foot print than windows and windows is bloated.

I tried to switch to Linux a few times but always come back to windows. Linux as a daily driver for email, web browsing and such is excellent and would use it for that in a heart beat. Anything outside of that though it falls apart for me, mostly due to lack of driver support. A lot of my editing tools don't work with Linux, adobe packages don't work and even gaming I had to spend hours troubleshooting things rather than just playing.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

16 hours ago, Proud Cipher said:

Also: I forgot to mention my Win 11 Pro was an upgrade from my old, messy Win 10 install rather than clean. Why tf did you have so many problems with a clean install when my "begging for death" worn out Win 10 to 11 upgrade works flawlessly? I simply do not understand why this is the case. Based on what I've heard my upgrade should have all but bricked my machine, but the biggest complaint I have about 11 is them hiding the audio settings and mixer menus! Your taskbar freaking out? Mine should too, but 11 is running smoother than 10 ever did and made the taskbar one of my favorite changes! What is this bizarre disparity? By all logic your install should have been fine and mine should have been a disaster. It's actually starting to stress me out lmao!

Did I get Ballmer's Golden Ticket or something? What is happening?

Wish I knew heh.
The machine(s) (desktop and a laptop) this is happening on have fairly modern hardware (Ryzen Zen2 & Zen3, RTX 3000), no overclocking.
No re-used parts, I never use cheap Chinese parts (like off-brand SSDs or PSUs).

I keep my computers dust free and monitor temps, my mains power is clean (no blackouts, brownouts, or power surges),
I don't install unnecessary junk, I never install cracked stuff, I never shutdown forcefully / improperly.
My internet connection is fast and stable, got fiber and cable (just in case).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet