settle an argument

JimmyHackers

i gave my friend an old pc....it only has hdds, i said get an ssd for the OS and use hdd for games.....but cost etc means he wont get an ssd....however

my viewpoint is that having your operating system on one hdd and your game on another should help/increase performance.

my friends viewpoint is that having the game on the same hdd that his OS is installed on will help/increase performance. (also states games will be less prone to bugs)

i know i shouldnt have to ask but can "the internet" settle this for me please?

2 minutes ago, JimmyHackers said:

(also states games will be less prone to bugs)

This might be true with some more obscure indy games (I've never seen it happen, but theoretically it could), but overall your friend is wrong. 

The reason you want an SSD for a system is random performance. HDD random performance is terrible, but having two drives in the system means effectively double the random performance if both are being used. Putting the games on the 2nd HDD will put less stress one the OS drive, making it run better. 

That said, get an SSD. There's one on Amazon right now for $12, and I've gotten one on the second hand market for $5. It's well worth the cost. 

Having them split vs on one drive... no difference in performance.   The bug thing is not true either, there's no logical basis for that thought as well.

Having OS on an SSD and games on HDD... only good for Windows performance and redoing the OS without affecting games.  There isn't a performance benefit, as the game is still running off the HDD and not the SSD.

You really want the entire PC being on SSD by this point, just helps everything be much faster and reduce stuttering from texture loading, etc.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

11 minutes ago, JimmyHackers said:

but cost etc means he wont get an ssd

Are they on a very strict budget? SSDs have come down in price dramatically over the past few years. You can occasionally pick up a 1TB Crucial MX500 (a very good SATA III drive with cache) for around $75 brand new. Or you can get a lower end 2TB SSD for around $100. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

That kind of depends how much there's multi-processing as in how much OS and possibly other programs want to read the storage. At the best there isn't any notable change but if he runs a lot of programs on the background the games will load longer and those with seemless design (no loading screens) will run worse.

Less bugs? Just no. Unless there's data corruption or malfunction (as massive read problems) all the bugs come from the developer, none from the storage media. Or have you ever heard about self-coding HDDs?

16 minutes ago, JimmyHackers said:

i gave my friend an old pc....it only has hdds, i said get an ssd for the OS and use hdd for games.....but cost etc means he wont get an ssd....however

my viewpoint is that having your operating system on one hdd and your game on another should help/increase performance.

my friends viewpoint is that having the game on the same hdd that his OS is installed on will help/increase performance. (also states games will be less prone to bugs)

i know i shouldnt have to ask but can "the internet" settle this for me please?

I always have my games on my other drives. I have a nvme ssd for my boot drive, and my games are spread out across 3 other drives. They all load about the same, and have no performance difference.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

6 minutes ago, JimmyHackers said:

cost etc means he wont get an ssd

A cheap 240gb ssd is about $30 CAD

480GB Kingston ssd is regular $70, now on sale for $50 at bestbuy Canada.  

Just a small investment for a much snappier experience.

I wouldn't bother migrating the os from one hdd to another but I'd be curious if there was a difference. 

17 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Having them split vs on one drive... no difference in performance.   The bug thing is not true either, there's no logical basis for that thought as well.

This is absolutely untrue. First, having OS and games on the same hard drive can make the drive into a massive performance leech, since a hard drive typically cannot read both OS/swap/whatever files at the same time as game files, so especially with slow drives, having the OS and games on separate drives can improve performance, and reduce problems such as frame drops, reduce load times, etc.

The bug thing is also ABSOLUTELY true. Right now, I have my OS on the C drive, steam is on my E drive, and Snowrunner is on my G drive. All 3 drives are SSD's, with the OS being on an NVME SSD. Snowrunner absolutely shits the bed every time it does an autosave, and I go from 55-65FS to 12FPS. This is on a 5950X/6800XT/32GB 3600 RAM system. Edit: My research shows that 'fixing' this requires me to move both Steam AND Snowrunner to my OS drive. Planning on moving my gaming over to a new system, and leaving my rendering on the 5950X, so I can game and render at the same time.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

This is absolutely untrue. First, having OS and games on the same hard drive can make the drive into a massive performance leech, since a hard drive typically cannot read both OS/swap/whatever files at the same time as game files, so especially with slow drives, having the OS and games on separate drives can improve performance, and reduce problems such as frame drops, reduce load times, etc.

The bug thing is also ABSOLUTELY true. Right now, I have my OS on the C drive, steam is on my E drive, and Snowrunner is on my G drive. All 3 drives are SSD's, with the OS being on an NVME SSD. Snowrunner absolutely shits the bed every time it does an autosave, and I go from 55-65FS to 12FPS. This is on a 5950X/6800XT/32GB 3600 RAM system.

I can't see how that really improves performance much, I'd have to look up some testing to see if it's impactful at all.

Bugs tho... no reason for it, as it directly contradicts your point before it.  Having them separate reduces bugs since the same drive doesn't have to do so many things, which can cause files to truncate or corrupt.  Separate should have LESS bugs due to cleaner writes to a drive that isn't handling the OS as well.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

the game we play is dayz SA. (in all is gloriously modded buggy glory)

ive noticed a distinct performance improvement in dayz ingame (less stutter/ better fps) going from hdd to ssd and again from ssd to m.2 pcie ssd.....

(my OS remaining on the ssd for all three game loaction changes)

most other games it seems to only help loading times.....but with dayz its a definate performance boost in game.

Man, I can't remember the last time I installed a game on my OS drive.  I've never had a problem with my games this way.

59 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I can't see how that really improves performance much, I'd have to look up some testing to see if it's impactful at all.

I lived through the era of the IDE and EIDE hard drives, so, yes, it can. Modern hardware and software is better, but it still has a negative impact, especially on low end systems.

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

Bugs tho... no reason for it, as it directly contradicts your point before it.  Having them separate reduces bugs since the same drive doesn't have to do so many things, which can cause files to truncate or corrupt.  Separate should have LESS bugs due to cleaner writes to a drive that isn't handling the OS as well.

No, it doesn't. The performance hit from trying to read both cached data (pagefile) and game files is not a bug, but a direct limitation of a spinning rust hard drive.

Having a game that freaks the hell out because the OS, Steam, and the game itself are on different drives has nothing to do with the type of drives being used, but is a bug in the game's software. The one read head/drive issue isn't a bug, it's a limitation; having crap code that shits bricks when things aren't on the C drive is a bug, and totally independent from anything else.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Your friend is totally wrong and it sounds like he's making shit up to rationalize being cheap. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

games on a ssd will load faster but its meh like 10-2 seconds difference. maybe using the fastest hdd and slowest ssd might lower the gap but that's the theory behind it. i no games played on cd drive can load slow and cause stutters so probably same thing on a hdd.

on a budget thoe 1 hdd will be fine for games and os thow ssd are much faster for other things like install the os but you only do that once in a while so...

if you dont have unlimited internet then installing the games on a different drive can be good so you dont have to re download them when it comes to reinstalling the os.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links