AMD reveals new mobile Zen 2 based Ryzen and Athlon 7020 series Mendocino processors

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

AMD has revealed their new Zen 2 based processors of their new 7020 series lineup. So far there's only 3 models with the highest end being the ryzen 5 7520U with 4c/8t and the lowest end being the athlon gold 7220U with 2c/4t. AMD compared their Ryzen 3 7320U to Intel's 11th gen i3 1115G4 and claim significantly higher performance in benchmarks like PCMark10, Cinebench R23 and 7zip compression. The chips come with Radeon 610M graphics based on the RDNA2 architecture.

Quotes

AMD Ryzen™ 7020 Series Ecosystem Support

• Acer: “From thin-and-lights to rugged laptops, Acer provides a wide variety of products for customers with different needs,” said James Lin, General Manager, Notebooks, IT Products Business, Acer Inc. “With the introduction of AMD Ryzen 7020 Series processors, the new Acer Aspire 3 14 and Aspire 3 15 laptops with the new processors provide the perfect blend of performance and value.”
  • HP: “With the new HP 17 inch Laptop PC – powered by Ryzen 7020 Series processors – people will have the freedom and flexibility to work and play however and whenever they want,” said Jo Tan, Global Head of Consumer PCs, Personal Systems, HP Inc. “Together with AMD, we’re delivering the performance and experiences our customers need to stay connected, productive, and entertained.” 
  • Lenovo: “We’re taking speed and efficiency to a new level in collaboration with AMD,” said Ouyang Jun, Vice President and General Manager of the Consumer Business Segment, Intelligent Devices Group. “With the trusted power and efficiency of AMD Ryzen processors, our next generation of consumer PCs, such as Lenovo IdeaPad, will offer the performance required for everyday multitasking and collaboration – all while fitting into a wider range of budgets.”
  • Microsoft: “We are excited to see the deep AMD and Microsoft co-engineering collaboration come to life on Ryzen 7020 Series processor-powered systems enabled with Windows 11,” said Pavan Davuluri, CVP Windows Silicon and Systems Integration. “Premium experiences don’t have to come at a premium price as customers will enjoy things like stellar battery life, graphics performance with RDNA 2, and security capabilities with VBS acceleration and chip-to-cloud security features enabled by the built-in Microsoft Pluton security processor.”

AMD Ryzen™ and Athlon™ 7020 Series Processors for Mobile

Model 

Cores/ Threads 

Boost Frequency5 

Base Frequency

Total Cache (MB) 

TDP (Watts) 

GPU Model

AMD Ryzen™ 5 7520U

4C/8T  

Up to 4.3 GHz

2.8 GHz

6 MB

15 W

AMD Radeon™ 610M

AMD Ryzen™ 3 7320U

4C/8T  

Up to 4.1 GHz

2.4 GHz

6 MB

15 W

AMD Radeon™ 610M

AMD Athlon™ Gold 7220U

2C/4T

Up to 3.7 GHz

2.4 GHz

5 MB

15 W

AMD Radeon™ 610M

CPU performance is still solid

The AMD Ryzen and Athlon 7020 series comes with up to four cores and eight threads based on AMD’s Zen 2 architecture, but with some enhancements since their original models. These processors are built on a 6nm process, and they come with up to 4 cores and eight threads, capable of boosting up to 4.3GHz.

AMD compared the performance of the AMD Ryzen 3 7320U to an 11th-generation Intel Core i3-1115G4, and as you’d expect with these kinds of official comparisons, it came out on top. AMD touts up to 31% faster performance in PCMark 10 productivity tests, 58% faster multitasking in Cinebench R23, and 80% faster file compression in 7-Zip. The company also boasts 31% faster app startup based on the PCMark 10 benchmark.

RDNA2 graphics for the entry level

The big news with the AMD Ryzen and Athlon 7020 series is that they bring AMD’s RDNA2 graphics architecture to entry-level laptops, and that’s where you’ll probably find the most interesting differentiating factor in these processors. All the models in this lineup – even the Athlon Gold 7220U – come with AMD Radeon 610M graphics based on RDNA2, promising solid performance and battery life.

On the Athlon Gold 7220U, AMD claims you can get up to 97 frames per second in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, 84 FPS in League of Legends, and 61 FPS in DOTA2, all while running at 720p resolution. For integrated graphics on an entry-level processor, that’s pretty good, and it should make gaming that much more accessible.

Additionally, AMD touts support for up to four displays, along with AV1 decoding support for high-resolution video streaming.

My thoughts

These chips will end up in entry level laptops at the end of the day. The RDNA2 integrated graphics do have pretty good performance especially given they are entry level chips plus the AV1 decoding support. Although I feel like the comparison AMD should have done is to compare their Ryzen 3 7320U to the i3 1215U instead of the i3 1115G4 since the newer 12th gen chips comes with 2 performance cores and 4 efficiency making it significantly more competitive than the 2c/4t i3 1115G4

Sources

AMD

XDA Developers

Someone with more motivation than me might be able to work out the transistors/core for each generation. I'm willing to bet Zen 2 is still used because it is smaller and cheaper than its newer relatives. If made on a newer process it could even out-perform the original Zen 2 CPUs in efficiency.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

Someone with more motivation than me might be able to work out the transistors/core for each generation. I'm willing to bet Zen 2 is still used because it is smaller and cheaper than its newer relatives. If made on a newer process it could even out-perform the original Zen 2 CPUs in efficiency.

Basically this, area/core is lower for Zen2 than the later archs. for lower end stuff it makes more sense to have these on the older arch as they get more chips per wafer, and with it being entry lvl stuff being as cheap as possible and as low energy as possible is most important. 

Power is especially important for low end devices as spending even $1 more on the cooling system could make it cheaper to go with a competitor rather than AMD.

The GPU shows that they aren't just recycling an older design, but have made a concerted effort to use Zen2.

Also, you can see this trying to maximise the functional chips per wafer with the relatively low cache values. Cache takes up masses amounts of space, and although as we see on the X3D that it can lead to massive performance increases, the type of device these will be going into, manufacturers are more bothered about the chip being 45cents less rather than being 3% faster 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, Fasterthannothing said:

AMD what are you doing?? zen 2?? Honestly AMD has been leaving me scratching my head 

It was announced at the Zen 4 launch that they would be using several different architectures in the mobile 7000 series.

And it's not as if they're hiding it, the third digit in the SKU tell you what Zen architecture it uses, so 7X2X for Zen 2, 7X3X for Zen 3 etc.

To be honest, it makes sense. As long as the performance and efficiency is there, why not use Zen 2?

It's still a great architecture, and no doubt cheaper to produce than newer architectures that really have no benefit on the low end

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I'm a bit surprised these are based on Zen 2.  I was expecting Zen 3 or even them already being on Zen 4.

Zen3 and Zen4 are expensive to make. Athlon prior to this was still on Zen+.

AMD did also say these parts are designed for cheap devices.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Most was said in this convo but yeah while odd maybe makes sense for them price wise for lower end chips if perf stacks well.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 10/3/2022 at 6:21 PM, ToboRobot said:

Low cost SBC please!

was thinking the same! they need to do it - will give great competition to low power Intel powered SBCs

The move to just keep on making Zen 2 seems funny to me, but I'm more excited on RDNA GPUs trickling down to budget CPUs (err, APUs) now.

I can see gaming potential, but I've seen that GPU before, it's an okay GPU. I will not expect this to run Cyberpunk 2077 but then again I didn't play that anyways on that.

Who knows, maybe low cost laptops will finally have good GPUs for me to play video games in the future.