[Build Log - FINAL STRETCH] Desk PC

My custom-loop custom desk-pc-build, with all its 'customness' glory to be revealed when complete!

image.thumb.png.e6317699da8fbdefac73c4883bb6f3fa.png

image.thumb.png.827a48dfe898b420da4a798f1e3451eb.png

image.thumb.png.6e40487fb745ca290f87452481ec7676.png

image.thumb.png.54454f346e574bf5adbb1f990d88b18c.png

image.thumb.png.ef3d014bf625c83f3dd7f612b8b3cd62.png

image.thumb.png.9a9e36e7943d95b76ceeaa28fc5c2537.png

image.thumb.png.8c38eb06989f0b903cbf345b23a72ed5.png

image.thumb.png.8a4eba7984535cae9c9085539fef2fff.png

image.thumb.png.50f4843f1e5b02dc4555ab11f49c817d.png

image.thumb.png.41c6f641f5548167860d25b26520dc77.png

Feel free to reach out if you have questions 🧐

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.7c580481bbcb1630538036afff6a56f0.png

image.thumb.png.b2768737aa41c590eebdd61b88003dbe.png

Drawers are coming along and glass installed, now just need to buy the main computer components

(The bottom drawer is aside drying)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

Wow! !! This look absolutely amazing man!

Thanks mate, hoping to have it complete once the new AMD GPUs are available in the new year 😁

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Love it.

What are your plans for peripheral connectivity? Specifically front USB-A / C?

Have you considered how you will manage cable slack so you can slide the drawer in and out for servicing? 

On 1/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, JFAllen said:

Love it.

What are your plans for peripheral connectivity? Specifically front USB-A / C?

Have you considered how you will manage cable slack so you can slide the drawer in and out for servicing? 

The plan that for any peripherals requiring easy access (i.e. usbs, etc.) they can be inserted into the following dongle (mounted in the middle/top of the desk):

image.png.a406457b68df409623a4d1ad4d889443.png

My keyboard, mouse (charged via the mousepad) and headphones are all wireless; where plugging in is preferable (such as the keyboard) I plan on threading them through the above dongle's hole and through the following cable management hatch directly into the drawer: 

image.thumb.png.efd3704f8348a006d4d7a9c1e8eedd7c.png

I should be able to manage cable slack at the back behind the desk's 'privacy board' or in the compartment that houses the drawers. when maintenance is required, I believe I need to only allow enough cable slack to slightly open the drawer to lift the glass out and disconnect the cables. - hopefully nothing too excess 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: Limo-tint the glass! Sleeper when it's off, RGB light show when it's on!!  Great work though! Looks amazing!

On 2/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, HybridFuel said:

Suggestion: Limo-tint the glass! Sleeper when it's off, RGB light show when it's on!!  Great work though! Looks amazing!

Not a bad idea actually...
I'll focus on completing the build for now, but maybe once it's up and running I may look into this, cheers 😁

On 2/23/2023 at 9:22 AM, Voytek85 said:

Very nice craftmanship! I really like builds like this. Very cool project! GJ!

Thank you! I haven't touched wood-work since school, but I'd say after enough trial and error thigs will eventually look good 😅

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sick build!  Don't know how I missed this before.  The render does no justice for what it is looking like currently.

Is the desk staying in that workshop or moving to another office?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 4:14 AM, TheCamba said:

Sick build!  Don't know how I missed this before.  The render does no justice for what it is looking like currently.

Is the desk staying in that workshop or moving to another office?

Sorry mate, missed this comment.
Thank you for the support!

Once complete I have a space ready for it in my office. 

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Unfortunately, after 'completing' the build I discovered some 'leakage' issues due to high temperatures...

Luckily, after draining and removing all the parts, we have confirmed all the parts still work.

I am in the process of making some design changes to increase airflow, these changes include:

1. Removing desk exhaust whole dust filters (see no reason to restrict the air leaving the computer) 
  2. Cut a hole in the drawer below to allow easier airflow (hole cut, planning on installing some flyscreen to ensure it remains usable without altering airflow) 
  3. have enlarged the intake hole on the removable cable management cover (hole cut, need to purchase and install a new dust filter)
  4. have enlarged the drawer's exhaust 3 holes into one large hole (between the fans and the radiator) - am planning on improving sealing between radiator/wood/fans to ensure any and all air that heads through those fans exits out the radiator.

Unfortunately, when everything was built and beautifully running installed in the desk (prior to the leakage), I didn't capture any images. Hopefully, once this design hurdle is overcome I will be able to present you all something special - that actually works 😅