Report: Apple will soon start replacing batteries on iPad Mini 6 instead of replacing whole iPads

AlTech

Summary

For those not familiar with Apple products (and possibly even for those that are) this may sound quite strange, but Apple doesn't replace batteries in iPads and doesn't replace screens in iPads.

Their solution to this problem for iPads? Just give customers a replacement iPad.

Yes, you read that right. Got a scratch on your iPad screen? Need a new battery for your iPad? Apple will take your old iPad and give you a replacement iPad, though it'll probably be a used iPad and not a brand new one.

Apple seems to have changed their mind and reportedly will soon offer actual battery replacements for the iPad Mini 6 instead of replacing the whole iPad.

Quotes

A report at MacRumors claims that Apple is issuing a new policy for the iPad mini 6 (i.e., the 2021 iPad mini), allowing repair centers (where devices are shipped for more in-depth service) to replace just the battery, rather than provide a Whole Unit Replacement (WUR) from existing or refurbished stock. MacRumors states that "other iPads may follow in the coming weeks and months," without specifics.

Replacing the battery on an iPad requires removing the screen, and that's tricky on almost all of them. Apple's proprietary repair tools, sized to each device, may be easier to use than using hand tools at home. But there's an unavoidable physics issue of having to apply strong suction or prying force to a long, wide, and thin display. The sixth-generation mini iPad, being the smallest of them, likely represents a device with the highest success rate of screen removal.

My thoughts

This is good news and will hopefully have less of an environmental impact than just giving customers a replacement iPad, even though replacement iPads are probably used. If this goes well for Apple then they should also try to do this with older iPad Mini models and other iPads as well.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/apple-no-longer-replacing-entire-ipad-mini-6-just-to-swap-the-battery/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Well what do you think they did until now with the old ipads? Throw them away? They simply refurbished them and fed them back into the cycle you just described.

Possibly but that doesn't mean the current system is without drawbacks:

• Customers lose their data if it isn't backed up prior to going to the genius bar.
  • Apple has to send the iPads to a special repair centre which means transporting the iPads and thus more carbon emissions.
  • This is assuming Apple keeps all the units customers need repaired. Some of them probably are scrapped and used for parts depending on their condition.
  • In some countries this may be a violation of the law. I think in Norway or Sweden some people sued Apple because where they were doing this it was illegal.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

As a customer, I'd probably prefer the current option of just getting a replacement, even if it is a refurbished unit. 

If it was a choice of being in and out in 10 minutes with a replacement, or having to wait an hour or 2 for the repair, I'd choose the first option any day of the week!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

26 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

As a customer, I'd probably prefer the current option of just getting a replacement, even if it is a refurbished unit. 

If it was a choice of being in and out in 10 minutes with a replacement, or having to wait an hour or 2 for the repair, I'd choose the first option any day of the week!

Isn't that how most company's handle RMAs nowadays? Like I remember putting in a ticket with Logitech because the volume wheel on my G610 (common issue) goes not track correctly and they were going to just going to swap out the keyboard. Had to turn it down since they could only swap out with one with Red switches when mine had Browns. No option for a repair, only replacement.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is good news and will hopefully have less of an environmental impact than just giving customers a replacement iPad, even though replacement iPads are probably used.

Yep when apple replaces a device you do not get a new device what you get is someone else's device that they replaced and fixed. 

They do not throw these devices away the instead send them to a repair centre were they can do the repair more cheaply. Apples main limitation on in store repair is space. Apple have chosen to rent some one the most expensive retail locations in the world and thus even a small back room can be costled in the $1k/hour or more in rent during opening hours so for many repairs it works out much more economic to just replace the device with a refurbished device and send the damage device off the to refurbish centre were ti can be fixed up and shipped out to shops for them to issue to the next customer.  

5 hours ago, hishnash said:

Yep when apple replaces a device you do not get a new device what you get is someone else's device that they replaced and fixed. 

From my personal experience the refurbished devices were basically equivalent to a new device. They probably replace the housing and the battery (plus in some cases the screen) and do a full factory reset.

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple has to send the iPads to a special repair centre which means transporting the iPads and thus more carbon emissions.

If they needed to do that previously, they would still need to do that.

35 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

From my personal experience the refurbished devices were basically equivalent to a new device.

You'd hope so, but... :s 

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

hmm fair enough I was thinking about iphones and ipads only. I don't think they do any refurbishing to PCBs for those due to the sheer density and level of integration there. Watch Jessa Jones videos if you don't get what I am talking about.

12 hours ago, yolosnail said:

f it was a choice of being in and out in 10 minutes with a replacement, or having to wait an hour or 2 for the repair, I'd choose the first option any day of the week!

Assuming you live near an Apple Store. If you dont either way your mailing it back to Apple.  And it could take a week or more to get it back. I feel they should offer an option though, for those who dont want a new device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

If they needed to do that previously, they would still need to do that.

Not necessarily, if they're satisfied that the genius bar can do it given proper tools then its possible the genius bar could do it in the future.

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

45 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not necessarily, if they're satisfied that the genius bar can do it given proper tools then its possible the genius bar could do it in the future.

Then the genius bar could've done it before too.

5 hours ago, Dracarris said:

From my personal experience the refurbished devices were basically equivalent to a new device. They probably replace the housing and the battery (plus in some cases the screen) and do a full factory reset.

They don't replace the housing, replacing the housing is a LOT of work - you have to remove every single part. They swap the battery, maybe the screen, and that's it.

elephants

3 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

They don't replace the housing, replacing the housing is a LOT of work - you have to remove every single part. They swap the battery, maybe the screen, and that's it.

Well then all the previous owners of my refurbished devices had absolutely immaculate housings 🤷‍♂️ Or they have some other exterior method like polishing to make the devices appear as new.