NorthRidgeFix Reaction to Linus's Soldering

John877

This guy is part of a two man crew running a shop in NorthRidge Cali and makes videos fixing peoples stuff. Its actually pretty cool to watch the microsoldering and all the tools and techniques used if you dont already know how some things are done.

Anyway I guess he made a video reacting to Linus's recent video:

Here is his video:

Edited by John877
Edited to reflect proper tone of video.

If Louis Rossmann's videos taught me anything, it's that microsoldering is a very delicate business (which my hands are too shaky to even attempt), but hey, Linus is the king of reflowing your GPU with a toaster oven, and I have a thing for MacGuyver'd approaches that (though not pretty) actually kinda work :old-tongue:

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

linus doesn't repair electronics for a living and he's never said that he's a expert in soldering.

it's like saying "iF yOu CaN't MaKe An LFS sYsTeM (linux from scratch) ThEn yOu aREn't a lINux uSeR!"

it's fucking stupid, and microsoldering is hard for the experts such as the rossman himself, if they have trouble what chance does linus have?

he tried and failed but he learned from it and he can improve as a result.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Nah, to me that video is more to breakdown video with a bit of reaction than critizing.

He (NorthRidge) said it himself : "Linus is not a micro-soldering expert, you cannot ask me what I think about how he soldered that connector" (0:48)

Some of the fans & viewers though (both side) is being as usual.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The phrasing of the OP's title really puts off the wrong tone

The criticism is constructive, not destructive, I appreciated his perspective, advice, and empathy for running into similar issues.

53 minutes ago, starsmine said:

The phrasing of the OP's title really puts off the wrong tone

The criticism is constructive, not destructive, I appreciated his perspective, advice, and empathy for running into similar issues.

Youre right, edited the post to better reflect that.