This $69 Gaming PC is INCREDIBLE

Sveeno

A portion of this video was sponsored by IBM. Want to learn more? Check out IBM’s YouTube channel or New Creators homepage: https://ibm.co/3QtW6wD

Our last $69 gaming PC from 2018 was a pretty good machine for the budget. Will we be able to beat it in 2022? Watch to find out!

Buy an AData SU635: https://geni.us/JQ5f

Buy an AData SU760: https://geni.us/wvJHE

nice

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

So if I sell my PC to my kid for $1, I can claim This $1 PC is INCREDIBLE?!

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

The sponsor of this portion of the video

I guess mid roll ads are needed? Besides that being a shame, it is the wording itself rubs me the wrong way even more. Not sure why but it seems to dray even more attention to the fact that there are now ads where there weren't any...

As far as mid roll ads themselves go, I am generally a proponent of YouTube premium as I don't like ads but also don't want to take revenue away from creators by blocking them. But that sort of is predicated on the idea that there aren't double sponsor blocks from creators themselves in their videos. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Hah, I've been running a z420 for my gaming PC for the last 2 years.  I upgraded to an Nvidia 1070 and 24GB of memory.  Works really well for general gaming. 

Been trying to find a good option for a second pc for my siblings ended up finding a good z440 for about $100 cant wait to see how yall upgrade it i already have a few ideas in the works for mine

Didn't test Crysis. 1/10 video. Remaining point stripped because you're trying to normalize a $70 screwdriver, so 0/10.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

So Linus thinks a screwdriver should cost as much as a whole gaming PC.

I have two HPZ420 systems, I have found them to be very reliable.
However things get a little more complicated when you try to move them into a new case.

Disconnecting the internal FireWire cable will produce a warning on system start up that requires you to push F1 to continue
Disconnecting the internal USB cables will also produce F1 to continue
Disconnected fans will also produce F1 to continue
With a high TDP cpu (E5-2687W V1) installed in the system will warn that you require a HP water cooler and F1 to continue
Different power supply will require an adaptor (easily obtainable and cheap)

Fortunately all of these problems can be solved without much difficulty if you have the original case, a little bit more tricky if you don't.
I don't remember enough of the details to describe it, but I can certainly walk someone through it. Ideally it would be good to make a separate guide for it

Z420_new_case.jpg

18 minutes ago, the_gremlinn said:

would a system like this with decent HD's be a decent home nas/plex server?

I have a Z420, running proxmox (virtualisation OS), running Plex and several other services. But using it as a nas/plex server does have some complications.
     1. Z420 systems will almost always come with a xeon processor so they won't have Intel quick sync. So you will probably want to pre transcode any content.
     2. The systems builtin SATA controller would be ok for just regular desktop use but I woud get a separate HBA card if you're going to has many drives.

4 hours ago, the_gremlinn said:

So would it be better to get a core series chip then?

Add a relatively inexpensive Nvidia GPU with NVENC and it's a moot point.

Processors and registered ECC DDR3 for the Z420 are cheap, so they're great for tinkering with. Just keep in mind it's a decade old, set your expectations accordingly. It's not going to blow the doors off of a Zen 3 build in single-threaded performance.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Ah yes, good old LGA-2011, once again refusing to be obsolete - it really is the new LGA 775 😄 There is technically even a CPU upgrade path for this machine, which would be one of the Xeon 16XXv2 Ivy-Bridge chips with up to 8 cores. Although the elusive 1680v2 is probably still outside of the budget for a $69 PC shopper.

4 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Did you say DDR3 and PCI-e 3.x?

Why yes, while the consumer platform was stuck on PCIe Gen 2, HEDT and server got PCIe Gen 3.

3 hours ago, the_gremlinn said:

So would it be better to get a core series chip then?

The thing is that these workstations were usually shipped with Xeons. The Xeon also has the advantage of supporting Registered ECC memory, which tends to be cheaper. Besides, the E5 16XX Xeons are pretty much identical to their Core i7 counterparts, they would even support overclocking, although I'm pretty certain that the chipset in these workstations doesn't.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

12 hours ago, ashlin4010 said:

Z420 systems will almost always come with a xeon processor so they won't have Intel quick sync. So you will probably want to pre transcode any content.

There are two overall main product lines of Xeons, ones that come in the same socket as consumer desktop with a Xeon series chipset and the other using the larger dedicated high end socket typically (not always) shared with HEDT.

Xeons in the consumer socket type do have iGPU and have Quicksync, Xeons and HEDT CPUs that come in the larger socket do not have iGPU and therefore no Quicksync support. So be careful, an i7 in a socket LGA2011 motherboard system will not have Quicksync, just looking at if it's a Xeon or not will not lead to the correct distinction here sadly.

Long story short no CPUs that go in to a Z420 will support Quicksync, Xeon or Core i/X series.

Alright this has me thinking.. I've been wanting to build another PC for a few years now but haven't had the opportunity.  I still kind of don't, but this super budget way of going is more of an option.

I'm researching all the workstations listed in the video and I'm willing to go for such devices, although I'm finding I'm wanting for a little "current proofing" using DDR4.

Question::  Does anyone know of very similar workstations that are just a little bit more current that come with DDR4 memory, or at least is compatible?

Thanks!

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600Mhz  16 x 2

1 hour ago, Yayap7 said:

Does anyone know of very similar workstations that are just a little bit more current that come with DDR4 memory, or at least is compatible?

Yes, the next generation of those workstation product lines will use DDR4 and LGA2011-3 sockets, supporting Haswell and Broadwell based Xeons.

HP Z440, Z640, Z840

Dell Precision 5810, 7810, and 7910

Supermicro X10

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, Senzelian said:

So the midroll ads are now the new standard? 😦

As is the shuffle slider ... 😉

On 9/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, ashlin4010 said:

I have two HPZ420 systems, I have found them to be very reliable.
However things get a little more complicated when you try to move them into a new case.

Disconnecting the internal FireWire cable will produce a warning on system start up that requires you to push F1 to continue
Disconnecting the internal USB cables will also produce F1 to continue
Disconnected fans will also produce F1 to continue
With a high TDP cpu (E5-2687W V1) installed in the system will warn that you require a HP water cooler and F1 to continue
Different power supply will require an adaptor (easily obtainable and cheap)

Fortunately all of these problems can be solved without much difficulty if you have the original case, a little bit more tricky if you don't.
I don't remember enough of the details to describe it, but I can certainly walk someone through it. Ideally it would be good to make a separate guide for it

Z420_new_case.jpg

Would you be willing to make a guide for this? Or do you know of a written guide? I just bought this HP and I'm trying to put it into a new case. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:20 PM, Hiiammichaelbye said:

Would you be willing to make a guide for this? Or do you know of a written guide? I just bought this HP and I'm trying to put it into a new case. 

Definitely willing but its not something I can perfectly recall, at least not well enough to write instructions. But with your or some one elses help we can do a case swap and document the process.

• 3 weeks later...

At my work... there was an upgrade to all office computers so one of their optiplex were handed to me dirt cheap.

Now I wait when they will start upgrading their workstation...

BTW that optiplex is now my truenas server for media

Hi, I'm just starting to get into pc gaming and i am on the budget for this pc and was wondering if anyone could make a step by step or list of all the stuff i would need as im somewhat nervous to start taking stuff apart and risk breaking anything, Much Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Th3Phoenix3968 said:

Hi, I'm just starting to get into pc gaming and i am on the budget for this pc and was wondering if anyone could make a step by step or list of all the stuff i would need as im somewhat nervous to start taking stuff apart and risk breaking anything, Much Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

Are you asking for a list of all of the "essential" components to make a functioning PC?

That would be:

• Motherboard
  • CPU (and something to cool it, which can range from a cheap air cooler included in the box that just barely gets the job done to custom waterblocks)
  • Memory (also known as RAM)
  • Some kind of display adapter (a way of getting a video signal from the system - could be "integrated graphics" built into the CPU or it could be a dedicated graphics card)
  • Storage (a hard drive or solid state drive to install the operating system and programs on)
  • A power supply

You could also add a case to put all of it in but technically one isn't required to make the system work. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16