Lexar SSD drivers: "Due to US Government requirements, the download is temporarily unavailable."

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

An SSD is completely generic, there is nothing a manufacturer driver would give you over generic ones. Usually if there are any they tend to be worse.

In this case the reason you see no drivers isn't that popup, it's that none exist. Message would be about drive firmware if any, and it seems it appears regardless of whether there are any or not.

WTF.

The base windows placeholder drivers need to go.

So what does one do when you can't get the drivers from the source?!

https://www.lexar.com/en/download_cat/ssd

Its their 240gb version. 

Big Gov allows tick tock bs, spying apps etc.... but Lexar isn't allowed to offer a driver.💩

** Here on the West Coast USA **

Use a VPN

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

From uk. There is no drivers offered for that ssd on that page. Only data shield encryption and lexar dash utility (similar to the Samsung magician).

Default Microsoft driver should work. What issues are you having?

Did you actually click any of the links? I'm from the US, not on a VPN, and could download everything there just fine.

And as @LWM723 said, you don't drivers for your SSD.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

20 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Did you actually click any of the links? I'm from the US, not on a VPN, and could download everything there just fine.

And as @LWM723 said, you don't drivers for your SSD.

Why would I not have?

No you can't download whats inportant here, the drivers. The dash yes, manual yes not drivers.

And theres no drivers to point to in the dash.

Looking through Tor (denmark). The US GOV message isn't even there. Nor is there for any drivers.

Just got off the phone with them, its news to them, they haven't got a call about it.

Told them about going through a vpn and links are there for manual, dash etc. But no drivers.

29 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

You don't need drivers for an SSD.

I hope your not saying that default placeholder drivers from MS are the same as drivers from the manufacture.

Just because it works (it functions), doesn't mean its optimized.

An SSD is completely generic, there is nothing a manufacturer driver would give you over generic ones. Usually if there are any they tend to be worse.

In this case the reason you see no drivers isn't that popup, it's that none exist. Message would be about drive firmware if any, and it seems it appears regardless of whether there are any or not.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Not sure what you need or how you got the error, but as a USian, I got everything off that page and dumped it here

1876633367_LexarDataShieldforWindows.zip 14 MB · 0 downloads Lexar DataShield for Mac.zip 1.92 MB · 0 downloads

Everything but the drivers.

I've already seen the utility and manual. 

Data shield is added encryption.

There are no drivers. Through Tor (Denmark) or the US.

Capture.JPG

Just now, Kilrah said:

In this case the reason you see no drivers isn't that popup, it's that none exist.

Assumed on my part a driver from today would be better then a driver from MS in 2012.

Gotcha, thank you. Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

Data shield is added encryption.

Id probably just use the encryption in your OS(so bitlocker for windows). Probably much more tests and security audits on bitlocker, than a ssd makers software, and better integrated into windows also.

What exactly would an SSD "driver" do..? It's not like a GPU where new applications come out requiring an update. An SSD will just keep going at the same speed until it gets so full of junk that it slows down (afaik). So not sure what the driver update's intended purpose is lol.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

4 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

Assumed on my part a driver from today would be better then a driver from MS in 2012.

If there is a driver it's for your board/chipset's SATA controller. What happens between it and the drive is standard, there isn't even anything for the OS to take part in.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2