Android 13 is here… and I like it!

AdamFromLTT

Android 13 has been released and it brings a few interesting updates to Google's Pixel devices, and eventually to other phones too. The main thing is more privacy, more customization and more Bluetooth. Take that iOS 16!

If only! :old-eyeroll:

(weeps from a Samsung Galaxy S3)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Not a very large update, I do appreciate that Google is taking notes from Apple and implementing some new security features, though they don't go far enough. The real question is how long will it be until most people can get it? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

until permissions become a user side choice it's still lagging behind apple (who still collect data but prevent random app developers from being fully free) with location obscuring and some protection, even if it's just face value when they sell user data to third parties.

and still allowing to ask for location to pair devices? why is that even a thing? "is the device within bluetooth range? yes, then connect." it's been done this way for years prior, what's so hard about keeping it that way?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

The real question is how long will it be until most people can get it? 

Depends on when OPPO and Samsung roll it out. Those are the companies with the highest amount of Android market share.

Lets be honest, the chances of it being worse than 12 were effectively zero ^^

It's a shame that 13 doesn't seem to roll back any of the major mistakes of 12 though 😞 (I.E removing the ability to get to Google pay quickly or enable/disable WiFi from the pull down menu).

4:25 automatic clipboard wiping. I wish this wasn't mandatory. I paste the same text multiple times a day for clients i am delivering food too. Guess i can just copy again but why not have it an option so it can be more like a PC.

No vertical task switcher? I am waiting for an option in the latest Android to switch from the Android 9+ horizontal-scrolling Apple-ish task switcher to the classic Android 8- vertical style but probably will never happen. 

Just hope that google really takes on mainline or whatever it was called, to make what they suggested for android 10+.

But still having to require the OEM to update and all that nonsense?? yeah sure, some updates we seem still to get like some minor packs of updates 11-12 for security etc.

Also with the wallet, ID wallet and more, sad its USA focused and google focused. So ads will go through or adding a card to your phone will go through google too. Do wish it was for the common good for android, some yes, but still far away. Still annoyed how these big brands that can work with banks and credit card brands, can't get a good standard going. like sure virtual currency/wallets can be such a risk and hole to deal with, but man, so many smaller apps that do this or nation based ones. so far away for the digital world and currency.

also you might from big selling phones get the update 3-6 months later, if at all. Also depending how old it is.

I have a legitimate question as an Apple user of the past 14 years.

Does the fact that your device manufacturer or Carrier has to approve the release of a new version of Android bother anyone?  

I think that one of the huge services that Steve Jobs ever did was tell the carriers to suck it.

8 hours ago, danwat1234 said:

I paste the same text multiple times a day for clients i am delivering food too

If you paste the same phrase everyday, have you tried to input the Gboard's dictionary function? I use certain letters as hotkey for phrases (or emails address which I normally use) so that when I type that letter, the phrase pops up in suggestions. 

2 hours ago, Thunderdogg said:

Does the fact that your device manufacturer or Carrier has to approve the release of a new version of Android bother anyone?  

No, I like Samsung's version of Android, they dont copy exactly everything for every update (for example pull down notification for WIFI control). I can so much features as compared to stock android though of course it comes with their own apps as well but I now have more choices. 

So google is moving more toward the apple strategy of we'll make sure other companies don't take your data, but we will and sell it.