Legion of Lawyers - Framework to change chassis design over Lenovo trademark dispute

6 minutes ago, hishnash said:

you can but that is not the responsibility for Lenovo's lawyers.  When you consider the cost of writing a cease and desist letter, if framework responded with a strong case as to why it is not a breach then they could file that and have done the needed paperwork but if they just did not appear to do anything they then need to do much more work in the future if someone else comes along and is infringing anthem and users the framework as an example of them not enforcing the trademark/copywrite. 

Actually to an extent there needs to be a certain reasonableness to a request though.

Again, if they didn't pursue Framework and someone else lets say creates a Legion laptop; they wouldn't be able to point to the Framework one.  Not pursuing Framework would mean they can't pursue others that are using that style of power button...which I mean realistically should not be trademarkable (which I don't think it would be).  Again, if someone said in court they didn't pursue Framework they could merely reply that even if it was a registered trademark the functional doctrine would have protected that usecase; it also was released shortly after they began marketing using the "trademark" so they could easily state as well that at that time there wasn't enough of a brand awareness to pursue Framework (i.e. essentially giving Framework the benefit to keep using it, but still potentially preventing further uses of it)

Leads me back to what I'm hinting at though, if large corporate entities want to go after companies for trademark like Lenovo is; register the trademark!  I think it really is a scummy type of move if it is going after using an unregistered trademark; especially given the best they could hope for if they won in court as injunctive relief (i.e. a cease and desist)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Don't blame the lawyers, blame the lawmakers that make the copyrights a living hell.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

Don't blame the lawyers, blame the lawmakers that make the copyrights a living hell.

No one here is blaming the lawyers specifically.  More along the lines of blaming the companies for trying to abuse the system...which they lobbied to help create.

With that said, lawyers are also the ones that make it so laws have to be written in such a weird way...since even if a law makes sense they can use the wording as a loophole sometimes (and to close those loopholes they create more loopholes)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 8/20/2022 at 3:29 AM, Arika S said:

Yes, because they HAVE to do it to protect their trademark.

https://www.lodhs.com/blog/defend-your-trademark-or-you-could-lose-it/

what response would you have suggested Lenovo take instead of what they did?

NRG 35Cm Chrome 2"Deep Dish 3-Spokes Purple Colored Wood Grip Steering  Wheel - ProTuningLab.com12 1/2 x 2 1/4 in. Primo 3 Spoke Mag Wheelchair Wheel Assembly - prLenovo sends cease-and-desist to Framework over a stylized letter “O” :  r/technology

I guess the lenovo legal team better get busy before they lose their trademark. 

The Framework Laptop can turn anyone into a 'Right to Repair' believer |  Mashable

and how did lenovo miss this other big violation of their trademark by framework. omg i hope lenovo sues those framework sleeze bags into bankrupcy