Influencers now shilling for android? What kind of BS is this?

avg123

This is one of the cringiest things I have seen this year.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Should I know who this person was?

So assuming the company is not completely offensive / horrible, why does the ad matter? Why would she turn down an offer from Google like this? You have creators doing sponsorships, "shilling" for all sorts of pay to win mobile games? Some would say this is questionable. There are lots of other examples. 

The main point is, I just fail to see how this is any more "cringe" than many other advertisements. 

7 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Should I know who this person was?

So assuming the company is not completely offensive / horrible, why does the ad matter? Why would she turn down an offer from Google like this? You have creators doing sponsorships, "shilling" for all sorts of pay to win mobile games? Some would say this is questionable. There are lots of other examples. 

The main point is, I just fail to see how this is any more "cringe" than many other advertisements. 

she is an actor in riverdale. very famous.

this is not trying to sell a product like other sponsorship.

this is telling another business to do things differently because it is inconvenient for the paying company

She is not telling people to use android instead of ios, like a normal sponsorship would be.

She is telling Apple to change the way iMessage works. 

When a person does a sponsorship spot for a company, they dont usually tell their rival company to do something differently in the sponsorship spot.

That is odd

33 minutes ago, avg123 said:

this is telling another business to do things differently because it is inconvenient for the paying company

She is not telling people to use android instead of ios, like a normal sponsorship would be.

When a person does a sponsorship spot for a company, they dont usually tell their rival company to do something differently in the sponsorship spot.

That is odd

You lost me at Riverdale.  That shows is terrible.  She's a very famous actor?  Okay.

Paid spot, gets ignored regardless of what they're saying/shilling/etc. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

While what she says is true as far as we know ... (no clue who she is and never watched Riverdale)

Lets not forget that RCS was only somewhat recently actually integrated in Android and started to work properly with Google's own Message app (sure didn't work for shit on the Samsung Message app for me since Android 9 to 12 on 3 different Samsung Phones. Switched to Google Message on Android 12 and only then did it work for me. I remember trying it on Android 11 and it didn't for me in Canada)
While Apple's "alternative" has been working for MUCH longer.
Not defending Apple here, but they've done what Google didn't do for years (and is still buggy as shit, sometimes I send a message and it says undelivered, with the option to send it as SMS as a backup) and now they are catching flak because they aren't adopting the same system as "everyone else" ? That's some tier A bullshit marketing from Google. While I'm all for everyone being able to message each others and knowing if the other has left you on read / is currently writing...  Lets not pretend Google RCS has been around for long and that Apple doesn't have plenty of features in their messaging app that wouldn't work 1:1 with RCS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

28 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

While I'm all for everyone being able to message each others and knowing if the other has left you on read / is currently writing...  Lets not pretend Google RCS has been around for long and that Apple doesn't have plenty of features in their messaging app that wouldn't work 1:1 with RCS.

Sometimes things get adopted because there is no standard, and then when a standard comes along, they refuse to adopt it, because what they're using works good enough, and whatever inconvenient mess it makes to work with something else isn't their problem. See lack of USB-C on the iphone. Dongle-hell if you want to use headphones.

The fact is that RCS should have been an carrier/ISP directive, and they dropped the ball.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/07/20/major-carriers-android-adopt-rcs/

Look at the date.

Verizon today announced that it is planning to adopt Messages by Google as its default messaging service on Android devices, joining AT&T and T-Mobile. That means all three major carriers in the United States will support the RCS standard on Android devices as of 2022.

Apple can absolutely just wait and sit on adopting RCS because they know the Android experience is still rubbish, and until all the kinks are worked out between android devices, Apple will just keep privately testing it so whatever they put out to support it, works out of the box and is a better experience.

That said, the wireless carriers should be the one making the demand. Which... you know was the point.

RCS over the internet without a phone number? Well, we have that, it's called email.

I think it's sadder that people actually allow themselves to be influenced by these twats than how or what they are selling.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 8/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, TetraSky said:

Lets not forget that RCS was only somewhat recently actually integrated in Android and started to work properly with Google's own Message app (sure didn't work for shit on the Samsung Message app for me since Android 9 to 12 on 3 different Samsung Phones. Switched to Google Message on Android 12 and only then did it work for me. I remember trying it on Android 11 and it didn't for me in Canada)

Samsung has supported RCS since the Galaxy S8 and Android 9.

The problem is that support from carriers and in some cases even cross-app compatibility has been a major issue for RCS. The problem is that RCS has to be supported by every step in the chain in order to work. Google recently tried to make things easier by routing all RCS messages through themselves, rather than rely on carriers to implement it.

I think RCS is a really good idea. Too bad the execution has been pretty awful so far.

Look I agree that it's complete shit. But let's not pretend Apple and other companies haven't done shitty stuff like that. Oh and there is the Mac vs Windows stuff...

I've never cared about companies trying to dish on others, promote your product, don't shit on others, but hey that's me.

The only thing I find acceptable, is using data by independent sources on say the speed of things, but even those are usually very skewed.

The only good story involving influencers was Fyre Island.

Why do you care what an influencer is shilling unless you're following them?

Influencers will shill for anything that pays.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:37 AM, avg123 said:

I don't have an issue about calling out a competitor that is trying to use their power to prevent a more open standard.

On 8/15/2022 at 6:37 AM, TetraSky said:

Not defending Apple here, but they've done what Google didn't do for years (and is still buggy as shit, sometimes I send a message and it says undelivered, with the option to send it as SMS as a backup) and now they are catching flak because they aren't adopting the same system as "everyone else" ?

Well one of the reasons for the terrible support is also because RCS isn't supported by Apple.  I remember carriers were hesitant to implement it because Apple was refusing to.  They should support that standard, but they won't because then it would diminish their product.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:13 AM, Kisai said:

Apple can absolutely just wait and sit on adopting RCS because they know the Android experience is still rubbish, and until all the kinks are worked out between android devices, Apple will just keep privately testing it so whatever they put out to support it, works out of the box and is a better experience.

When the carriers support it, RCS works pretty well.  There is also the argument that some people who switched from iOS to Android experienced issues because they forgot to unpair their phone (so their messages were still going through Apple).

There is a major issue when you have 1/2 of the devices that don't support a specific standard, and Apple knows it.  The carriers were slow to adopt because Apple wasn't on board with doing that standard.

Overall I don't have a problem with this...actually I do agree with it as well.  There have been issues where kids who aren't part of the iPhone crowd essentially get isolated for using Android because of the refusal to support RCS.  Apple doesn't want to support it for the simple reason that it means they lose their grip on the closed ecosystem that they can force you into.  After all, if there are plenty of people who don't want to switch away because it means they lose access to the group chats/etc that iMessage provides them (simply because they refuse to support RCS)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

At least it wasn't posted from iOS.

Reminds me of this one. Probably what you are referring to.

gadot.webp.be85f4cdc1b0eb12068b6bc1291a93b4.webp

I don't personally see anything wrong with the shill, while I cringed while seeing the video, she didn't said anything wrong. What's the difference between her shilling for Android from the people here and in the internet in general who shills LTT, Apple, Windows and more?

On 8/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, TetraSky said:

I use RCS from time to time here, while it's support is hit or miss, like my carrier support but my mother doesn't. I remember using it on my Mi-A3 when it had Android 9. While my experience was good, I don't know if NA and EU had the same experience as I because it's carrier dependent.

While RCS has its problems, at least is a open protocol, so if Apple, Linux phones or any other OS wants to support it, they can but the same can't be said of iMessage

On 8/15/2022 at 5:37 AM, avg123 said:

That is odd

In practical terms, whatever campaign Google is trying to run is unlikely to be successful, at least with Apple on their own. Apple is certainly many things, but they damn well stick to their guns when they have their mind set on something, for better or worse. Google should certainly know better than to try to influence Apple directly.

On the other hand, regulators and politicians are a fair bit more suggestible. Google could attempt to come at it from the angle of the antitrust case back in the Internet Explorer days, though as a phone's basic function is to send texts (while The Internet wasn't ubiquitous pre-2000), making the case for removing pre-installed iMessage may prove more difficult, as texting is an expected feature by default.

Having been on both sides of the bubble spectrum, I have no strong opinion on iMessage. Both Messenger on Android, and iMessage have served their needs well. For Messenger on Android, I liked being able to use my PC to type and send messages, while Apple requires the use of a Mac. On the other hand, iMessage is a default that includes encryption, the use of wifi to send messages (a substantial headache for me when I used to go to the gym in a area that had no cell signal), and features fallback to SMS, so I needn't convince all my contacts to go to some other platform. Group messaging on both platforms hadn't been an issue (though tbh, I dislike being thrown into group messages anyway).

Apple could probably just include RCS compatibility as a fallback (with SMS as the fallback to the fallback), toss RCS users in red bubbles (which would look cool, ngl), and call it a day. No major changes required to their proprietary standard needed, and the world spins on.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Android has always been cringe. People like to forget that the "Droid Does" campaign from the early 2000's was extremely insulting to consumers. Google has always known that their OS is nothing more than a delivery vehicle for their data-collection and telemetry, and that's why they've always been so underhanded in marketing it.

I'm no Apple fan but I'll give credit where it's due... they have a product ecosystem that works extremely well together. Android doesn't. They're salty about it and they're trying to pin their ineptitude on their competitor.

I think the real mystery here is... why are you using Instagram? Isn't that basically the new twitter - everyone knows its just a place for vapid celebrities to market themselves.