Unity signs contract with US defense development

williamcll

image.png.69a66a170fa97ae740625dc491aec028.png

Popular game engine developer Unity have once again decided to work with US defence contractors to create simulations used in logistics and combat.

Quotes

On Tuesday, Unity announced a three-year, multi-million dollar partnership with information technology firm CACI International Inc., which has provided aerial surveillance and other military intelligence to government branches. “Through this relationship, Unity will help the government defining human machine interfaces or HMI for aerospace applications and beyond,” said Marc Whitten, a senior vice president at Unity, on the company’s earnings call on Tuesday. “These applications demand an interactive, robust user experience very much like games.”

Known for its eponymous game engine, which provides the software that runs dozens of top video games, Unity is betting its next wave of growth will come from marketing its real-time 3D platform to non-gaming industries as part of its “digital twin” strategy. Automotive manufacturers, factory designers and even real-estate developers can visualize and study digital incarnations of their creations using the Unity Game Engine. Recently, the company has helped clients visualize and study the movements of people, like with its simulation of the Hong Kong Airport. The contract with CACI is Unity’s “single largest digital twin solutions deal for Unity to date,” the company wrote in its earnings report Tuesday. The deal helps set up Unity’s 3D platform for “future systems design and simulation programs across the US Government.”

Unity has previously held contracts with the US Defense Department, which has reportedly caused concern among some employees. The military has used Unity’s software to visualize plane runways attacked by live munitions and train drones on identifying ordnance.

My thoughts

Mind you, this isn't the first time Unity has done this, even before the change in management. Pretty much every large 3D engine developers do this anyway. After all, money talks.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-10/unity-software-wins-contract-to-help-us-government-defense

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-engine-developer-unity-signs-lucrative-contract-with-us-defence/#comment-jump

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

A lot of industrial companies already use unity for this, it's honestly not that big a surprise.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

A company i had as a client used unity to make a drilling simulator that interfaced with the driller cabin they produced for all commands.

Was pretty neat, only thing missing was the chaos you find on an actual drilling site, and the amount of mechanical and electrical issues you'll always encounter with the rig

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

is it better if they are transparent with this and some things like this, vs a focus on the trashy car industry?

So long its not for something else too, but then agian they have a few simulators out there.

What's next, Minecraft signs contract with US Defense? Or Starbucks signs contract with US Defense because their newly coffee keeps the US soldiers awake for 24/7?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 8/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, williamcll said:

After all, money talks.

Especially when it comes from the US Government, I mean we spend over 700 billion a year on defense. Lots and lots of cash. 

On 8/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, CTR640 said:

What's next, Minecraft signs contract with US Defense?

Minecraft is a Microsoft property. Microsoft does have defense contracts. I mean Im pretty sure our warships use Windows. Not to mention non military parts of the government as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.