Schiit AC adapter broken?

DriedSponge
Go to solution Solved by H713,

Schiit wall warts are basically a transformer in a plastic blob - that's it. 

This actually might not be a real serious issue - a likely cause is a loose lamination in the iron core, which is rattling around 60 times per second. This is pretty common, and on big transformers I've had limited success by dripping unthickened West System epoxy onto the suspect laminations. Obviously that's not an option on this. 

The other possibility is that for some reason you're saturating the core. That could be because your AC line is higher than it should be (is it? I've seen outlets in North America at 135 V before), or because the transformer has developed a short between layers on the primary, reducing the number of turns-per-volt. 

If you're saturating the core, the thing will get hot (very hot...) in short order, and will eventually burn up. Usually these things are designed to "fail safely" but I still don't like to chance it.

Either way, it's defective, so I'd contact Schiit. They'll replace it, and most companies like this will want to know if some of their hardware is having issues. They also might want to get the old one back for a failure analysis. Schiit doesn't make these wall-warts, they buy them from a company that specializes in that kind of thing. A single faulty unit isn't much cause for concern, but if it becomes a regular thing, then they may need to look into changing suppliers. In any case, this kind of information is very useful for a manufacturer to have.

Hello!

So a few days ago, I received my Schiit Modi and my Schitt Magni Heresey in the mail, and for the first few days they were working and sounding amazing. This morning however, I wake up to find my schiit AC adapter (the one that came with the magni) buzzing. I'm not sure why, I never did anything to break it other than plug it in. I'm more concerned about whether it broke the amp or not, I haven't turned on the amp yet this morning. Here's a video of the buzzing.

I'm wondering if I should contact schiit, and have them send me a new one, or find another power supply on the market that's a better alternative.

Thanks in advance.

edit:
So I just tested it now. The AC adapter does still power my amp but the noise from it is incredibly obnoxious and annoying.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

I would definitely contact the manufacturer about the problems you're having with this particular piece of Schitt hardware. 🤣

But seriously, unplug that damned thing. Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. It's possible your in-wall wiring has developed a ground loop / fault, but that would be one hell of a coincidence in timing.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Yeah you should totally contact them, take it from the Antlion Audio guy we much prefer it when someone contacts us about a problem so we can not only fix it for the customer but add it to a list of potential issues to make sure we fix or keep an eye on.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

1 hour ago, DriedSponge said:

So a few days ago

Return it and buy another, don't contact the manufacturer. 

Zero reason to waste time and money dealing with them when you're still in the return period.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Schiit wall warts are basically a transformer in a plastic blob - that's it. 

This actually might not be a real serious issue - a likely cause is a loose lamination in the iron core, which is rattling around 60 times per second. This is pretty common, and on big transformers I've had limited success by dripping unthickened West System epoxy onto the suspect laminations. Obviously that's not an option on this. 

The other possibility is that for some reason you're saturating the core. That could be because your AC line is higher than it should be (is it? I've seen outlets in North America at 135 V before), or because the transformer has developed a short between layers on the primary, reducing the number of turns-per-volt. 

If you're saturating the core, the thing will get hot (very hot...) in short order, and will eventually burn up. Usually these things are designed to "fail safely" but I still don't like to chance it.

Either way, it's defective, so I'd contact Schiit. They'll replace it, and most companies like this will want to know if some of their hardware is having issues. They also might want to get the old one back for a failure analysis. Schiit doesn't make these wall-warts, they buy them from a company that specializes in that kind of thing. A single faulty unit isn't much cause for concern, but if it becomes a regular thing, then they may need to look into changing suppliers. In any case, this kind of information is very useful for a manufacturer to have.

51 minutes ago, H713 said:

I have no idea honestly. I've tried different wall outlets and it still does the same thing.

51 minutes ago, H713 said:

It started happening overnight while I was sleeping, so I have no idea how long it was going like that. I'm glad it didn't catch fire lol.

52 minutes ago, H713 said:

Yup that's what I did. It may take a few days for them to respond since it's the weekend. The good news is I can still use my modi dac so everything sounds just as good. Thanks for the insight!

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home