Why are all the MP3 players horribly rated?

Joduko

I use an MP3 player at work so that I don't have to use my phone's battery and so I can just use a 3.5 jack for my music and still have my phone in my pocket while at work.
I've had my current MP3 player for just over a year and the battery has begun bulging out 2 weeks ago and the glue holding the top portion of the screen has failed with the battery bulging against it pushing it out.

I'm on Amazon looking for another sub 25 USD mp3 player and I'm finding that even the expensive ones all seem to manage atleast 10+% 1 star reviews. Like, it's just a music player, not a smart phone. How do you mess up something so...simple?

I mean, are there common recurring complaints in the negative reviews? 

My surmise would be that since most people have moved on from dedicated MP3 players and just listen to music on their phones (not a criticism of your use case just stating a fact), only no-name, corner-cutting companies with no QC are in the market. I mean, of the first page of results on Amazon, the only brand  I've ever heard of here in any capacity is SanDisk, and half the other results are attempts to ape the look of the 4th-gen iPod Nano, many of them clearly the exact same product being sold under multiple different names. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Audiophiles can be very picky, and that price range doesnt seem promising.

Ive been using my Fiio DAP for a few years now and dont have any complain, their products seems well rated in Amazon.

30 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I'm on Amazon looking for another sub 25 USD mp3 player 

I mean, with that budget. Arcade machine prize quality is really the only option. Quality MP3 players are few and far between and much more money. There isn't really a market for them with cell phones and spotify being a thing so that's a major reason why. Honestly investing in a battery bank that can charge up your phone would be more worth it than buying a dinky little MP3 player. Otherwise spend the money to get an actual quality MP3 player. It's almost like you get what you pay for?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Why would any company invest any money to make a product that will never compete with smartphones? The BOM isn't that big, but the R&D, plus software support, customer support, etc., just makes it prohibitively expensive to make a quality MP3 player.

Get some earbuds for your phone. I have a Z Fold 3, a notorious power hog, and with BT on all day, I still end up with more than 50% battery at the end of the day.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

That budget is going to be difficult, but there are MANY excellent DAP's or Digital Audio Players

A quick amazon search shows this one with great reviews for an increase in budget

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

I was confused by this, and then I saw your budget. Fam. $25. What are you thinking. Of course most of the MP3 players in that price range are going to get bad reviews. You can increase your budget a little and find units actually worth paying money for. Ones that won't die on you. You do, after all, get what you pay for.

With a budget like that, I really can't think of anything but the Sansa Clip. It comes in various forms. If you up the budget to $75 - $100 you get far better units.

What you need to understand is it's not "simple." There's a lot that goes into making a decent DAP, and when it's done poorly, you get poor reviews.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Middcore said:

I mean, are there common recurring complaints in the negative reviews? 

My surmise would be that since most people have moved on from dedicated MP3 players and just listen to music on their phones (not a criticism of your use case just stating a fact), only no-name, corner-cutting companies with no QC are in the market. I mean, of the first page of results on Amazon, the only brand  I've ever heard of here in any capacity is SanDisk, and half the other results are attempts to ape the look of the 4th-gen iPod Nano, many of them clearly the exact same product being sold under multiple different names. 

There's loads of DAPs out there, a lot from very big name companies (Sony, for example), and tons of smaller players (Cowon, Fiio, Shanling, HiBy, Astell&Kern, etc).

On 7/13/2022 at 2:35 PM, Jorgemeister said:

Audiophiles can be very picky, and that price range doesnt seem promising.

Ive been using my Fiio DAP for a few years now and dont have any complain, their products seems well rated in Amazon.

Fiio makes solid DAPs, though they no longer make anything under $500. The used market has tons of offerings though, and they're all quite affordable.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:08 PM, Sarra said:

Why would any company invest any money to make a product that will never compete with smartphones? The BOM isn't that big, but the R&D, plus software support, customer support, etc., just makes it prohibitively expensive to make a quality MP3 player.

Get some earbuds for your phone. I have a Z Fold 3, a notorious power hog, and with BT on all day, I still end up with more than 50% battery at the end of the day.

Never compete isn't true, and there's lots of quality units out there, but definitely not anything in the OPs budget.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 7/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, Sarra said:

The market who’s actually buying dedicated players these days aren’t buying cheap devices that just play MP3’s.

The majority of people interested in a dap are buying one because it does way more than any phone can do from an audio standpoint, balanced outputs, high end dacs, massive file support, music specific ui features, physical buttons for music control, etc.

Even on the low end:

B55DCB2F-82FB-4031-9375-1AFC8EAC3340.thumb.jpeg.fd8c0c17f6a5375816d51acbfc83a290.jpeg

Walkman NW A55, a sub 200$ player new. This gets 20-30 hours of active use battery life, has physical media buttons, and can play up to DSD256. No phone on the market can compare in the music playing capabilities something like this even on the low end can do.

But this is also why op is finding terrible options, that market is dead, the $25 MP3 player market was always terrible (iPods in their day were 2-300$ machines). But now those exist as basically ewaste. This is the new low end, NW A55, Hiby R3, AP80, Fiio M3, etc, all of which are above 120$ at minimum, that’s the point where you start finding actual serious devices for this use case.

These will be the main reasons why the cheapest of mp3 players will be rated poorly

1. It's hard to do an OK job at a VERY low price
2. Audiophiles can be picky.

Realistically the best ultra-cheap choices are going to be
Sansa Clip, Sansa Fuze, MAYBE an ipod nano

You might want to look for something used to hit your price point or close to.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800