Define R5 3D printed SATA backplane - free STLs and IPT files

TLDR at the top: 3d print it yourself. I'll cut to the chase. It's all available here. the correct extension to order is included in the post on printables. print out of ABS or PETG if you can.

A few months ago I discussed on reddit how Fractal design should make an add-on backplane for the define R5, since it is still a go-to entry-mid level home server case. I contemplated doing a PCB design myself, but decided to see if I could find some off the shelf hardware to 3d print a bracket for to make it work. I settled on this extension initially, but only bought one. I decided on This one instead since the cost per was less. They seem to be exactly the same, or close enough, but my final fitting adjustments were based around the 2 pack. I found lots of sellers on aliexpress that carry them, but figured a few extra dollars was worth getting it this week rather than in two months.

The extensions mount to the frame with #4-40 machine screws and nuts. M3 should fit but would be tight, M2.5 would probably be better. The extensions are modified slightly, using a knife to scrape off the two tabs in the power section and one in the data section where it interfaces with the drive. This is unnecessary but reduces the insertion force and force needed to remove a drive, which I prefer, since the drive sleds already hold the drives positively inserted.

The backplane frame snaps into the cutouts in the sides of the drive cage where the rails for the drive sleds end, and seems rigid enough. I wanted screws, but there aren't many options without modifying the cage. I wanted to avoid adding holes to the cage, since this would be hard to reproduce accurately.

The drives must be mounted to the cage where the end of the drive is almost flush with the end of the cage. This means that the front and middle screws are used, which is not ideal for high capacity WD drives that don't have middle screws. There are 3d printed extensions for the drive sleds that are a friction fit and address this issue.

The clearance on the backside of the backplane frame is huge. Easily enough for fitting any kind of sata cable or sata power cable, no need for right angles. SATA cables without the lock are ideal, since they use the bumps for retention, which is the only option as these extensions don't have anywhere for the clip to interface. In my case I didn't have enough cables of that type so I used hot glue to keep it in. 

Currently only the 5 drive cage has been done, but I might do the 3 drive section too. It looks like it should be straightforward to add that one.

If anyone makes it for themself, please post your results.

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

more notes:

if you do right angle cables like me, don't hot glue in the bottom one before installing it in the case, it will get in the way.

the sata power cable was custom modified by removing the two sata connectors on the end by removing  the covers and pulling out the wires. I also stole two straight through punchdown connectors from a dell PSU Then they were reinstalled with one before and 3 after the first original connector on the cable. I laid out the position on the frame with some slack, then punched down the wires with a flat blade screwdriver and then a small allen head bit on a screwdriver with the connectors against a table. I also stripped out the 3.3V wire to avoid WD white label/shucked drive issues (or any drive that uses SATA power disable on pin 3 of the power connector) make sure you get the position right the first time, as removing and reinstalling will leave cuts in the insulation which is not ideal.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

very nicely done.

personally, i'd go for one of these cables instead: https://www.startech.com/nl-be/kabels/sata18pow

but that's probably a tight squeeze in the back of an R5. best to chase for a right-angle one in that case.

what you use is up to you, I can confirm though that it works perfectly fine with an old red straight sata cable I have with loads of clearance. straight sata power cables should also be fine, but I haven't verified.

-> Moved to Cases and Mods

Nice job!

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2