Turn offs in tech

Mooshi

What are things that can make you go from interested in a product to unimpressed in a heartbeat?

9d3a21ee63e13647ff52a8bfeb38590c.png

My two biggest turn offs for things tech are using more plastic than the entire Haf X line up and "Made in China" "pride".

Tons of chunky plastic on something with a high price tag is such a deal breaker no matter how much function it may have. As for the China comment..I can understand outsourcing and the costs and for higher end stuff, it's only put together there. But when I see "Made in China" stamped on something..it makes all my "this must be cheap as balls" alarm go off. At least when they do that, they should stick to stickers. You can easily remove a sticker. Seeing "Made in China" physically stamped on something is such an ugly eye soar..it's like covering a Veyron in 2Fast2Furious vinylwrap..the tacky overload is too intense. (I'm looking at you case makers who have that stamped into the metal!)

when people buy alienware computers

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Razer, chiclet keys (sometimes), any kind of phone that isn't Nokia, Samsung, GTX, or Apple, and the price of pretty much anything tech related.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Misleading pictures. I find so often with laptop, they look really thin and nice in pictures, but they're completely different when you actually see and hold one. 

As a car guy i'll have to say 

"TURBO"

Show me where the forced induction is taking place or take that F**** LABEL OFF!

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

"TURBO"

Show me where the forced induction is taking place or take that F**** LABEL OFF!

My PT Cruiser is labeld turbo, and you can hear the blow off valve go off at high PSI settings. AND IT'S VISIBLE IN THE ENGINE BAY!

"TURBO"

I have to admit, that I own "turbo sunglasses". Bought them when I was on holiday. They are not as good as a Saab 99, but still work  ;)

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

the moment it's razer

I currently own:

4 Keyboard Brands - Razer, CoolerMaster, Corsair and Ducky.

4 Mice Brands - Razer, Corsair, CoolerMaster, Logitech

I've also owned many, many more brands, including multiple models of each of those brands. I enjoy each of them, some more than others. They all have their high points and low points - pros/cons.

Out of all of them, I find myself using Razer products more than the rest. They are no "better OR worse" than "the next guys". Each that I own are around the same price point, whether the keyboards or the mice.

I'm curious.. Why the Razer hate!? The only thing I can think of is the pricetag that Razer comes with.. But that shouldn't be enough to judge! I am not one to care about prices much - That's one area in life I am grateful in.

But, I do buy Razer due to the aesthetics mostly, as they perform the same as any other keyboard I've used, owned, or currently use.

Also keep in mind, and I delve into this a bit deeper below, but I am not one to buy due to a certain label or branding it has. I don't buy Razer because it has a 3-Headed Snake on it or says "You are now part of the Cult of Razer".

But anyways, pardon the rant. Onto the topic at hand..

• The thing I hate the most is when I like a product (of any kind) so much, and then realize it doesn't come in the color scheme that I need/want. This is a big pet peeve of mine. As an example - how good Noctua fans perform, but yet are so damn disgustingly ugly with a hint of "Wtf!".

• As mentioned above, another one of my pet peeves is shopping per brand... No, just no! It's just as easy a no-name brand manufactures a wonderful item that beats (in whatever ways) a well-known brand's item. The only thing here is, obviously, if the brand has never let you down, and you have zero complaints, it's more than okay to stick with who you trust. Just don't use this as the ONLY processes in eliminating competing items.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Samsung and Facebook

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

My PT Cruiser is labeld turbo, and you can hear the blow off valve go off at high PSI settings. AND IT'S VISIBLE IN THE ENGINE BAY!

My comment was directed at the "Turbo" label on cpu's and stuff like that... Not actual turbos.

I can't believe crysler actually bothered to turbo the Pt cruiser though (no offence)

I have to admit, that I own "turbo sunglasses". Bought them when I was on holiday. They are not as good as a Saab 99, but still work  ;)

I have a turbo electric razor... and it pisses me off every time i shave. Same deal with the "Gillette fusion power stealth".. That's just dumb

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

When Facebook buys it :D

only joking though will take alot to stop me buying the oculus rift when it comes out

realistic awnser would be apple products just not a fan of the os much prefer android and windows

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

when people sell "gaming" pcs that cant run any games and the people who buy them think there getting a good deal

example: http://amzn.to/1k9SCMa

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I agree with @Mooshi. I hate cheap items made in China. They make the crappiest products, mostly toys and tools. They crap out the first minute they come out the package. The only things they make that are actually good is technology and bikes. Everything else, including cars, is as good as donkey shit. The big brand companies should move manufacturing to other countries, such as Japan, UK, Canada, especially the US, where quality products are made. Not only is it hurting us with cheap products, it hurts Chinese workers with all the pollution.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This. They treat customers as idiots.

I try my darndest not to! But what are some of your examples on that sentiment?

Fun sidestory, though (and why you think technical support has "scripts" to follow): Back when I was working with the support team here at Cooler Master, I had a chat with a lovely fellow in our Live Chat service. He had our very popular Hyper 212 EVO cooler for his system, but it wasn't cooling his system like it should. I spent a good hour with him going through every possible thing (re-seat the cooler, clean and re-apply thermal paste in a different way, make sure the plastic cover is off, make sure fan is indeed working, etc etc etc). After going through every possible venture, I was simply stumped, so I offered the RMA so we could get it to figure out what is up with it.

He then follows up with "I should mention something else, though I don't think it has to do with the problem." which in my mind, I thought 'I'll be it does.' Turns out, he took a hacksaw to the top of the copper heat pipes at the top of the cooler, because it was just 1-2mm too tall for his case. tl;dr - Don't cut open heat pipes, they're not just pure copper transports, they use liquid inside that boils and condenses to remove heat.

We ended up offering to send him a new Hyper 212 EVO heatsink out of a courtesy so he could resell it and get a cooler that fit his case, which I recommended a few his way.

So, I guess my biggest tech turnoff is a hacksaw.

Cooler Master USA representing! Looking for help? Head to the CM Fanzone to get in touch with the Customer Support team!

I try my darndest not to! But what are some of your examples on that sentiment?

Fun sidestory, though (and why you think technical support has "scripts" to follow): Back when I was working with the support team here at Cooler Master, I had a chat with a lovely fellow in our Live Chat service. He had our very popular Hyper 212 EVO cooler for his system, but it wasn't cooling his system like it should. I spent a good hour with him going through every possible thing (re-seat the cooler, clean and re-apply thermal paste in a different way, make sure the plastic cover is off, make sure fan is indeed working, etc etc etc). After going through every possible venture, I was simply stumped, so I offered the RMA so we could get it to figure out what is up with it.

He then follows up with "I should mention something else, though I don't think it has to do with the problem." which in my mind, I thought 'I'll be it does.' Turns out, he took a hacksaw to the top of the copper heat pipes at the top of the cooler, because it was just 1-2mm too tall for his case. tl;dr - Don't cut open heat pipes, they're not just pure copper transports, they use liquid inside that boils and condenses to remove heat.

We ended up offering to send him a new Hyper 212 EVO heatsink out of a courtesy so he could resell it and get a cooler that fit his case, which I recommended a few his way.

So, I guess my biggest tech turnoff is a hacksaw.

Wow..I applaud you for having such patience with this person. Some customer support is pretty scripty, but not all of them.

Pssssst..I have a random question that is not related to the thread. What are the chances of CM to release a stylish steel/aluminum front matx cube case under the CM storm brand? (I have a softspot for that logo) Kinda like Cooler Master's answer to the Silverstone SUGO line. An matx cube built on the HAF philosophy with large intake fans (180/200mm front and side for gpu cooling) without the boy gamer look..I want that so bad. :ph34r:

Wow..I applaud you for having such patience with this person. Some customer support is pretty scripty, but not all of them.

Pssssst..I have a random question that is not related to the thread. What are the chances of CM to release a stylish steel/aluminum front matx cube case under the CM storm brand? (I have a softspot for that logo) Kinda like Cooler Master's answer to the Silverstone SUGO line. An matx cube built on the HAF philosophy with large intake fans (180/200mm front and side for gpu cooling) without the boy gamer look..I want that so bad. :ph34r:

No idea! But I'm sending your request in the direction of our case product manager for you :) No guarantee on an actual response, but I can try!

Derp edit: Have you seen our Elite 110 and Elite 130? Not Storm branded, but some vague similarity to that Silverstone SUGO line in terms of aesthetics.

Cooler Master USA representing! Looking for help? Head to the CM Fanzone to get in touch with the Customer Support team!

No idea! But I'm sending your request in the direction of our case product manager for you :) No guarantee on an actual response, but I can try!

Derp edit: Have you seen our Elite 110 and Elite 130? Not Storm branded, but some vague similarity to that Silverstone SUGO line in terms of aesthetics.

Alas, I have an matx motherboard while those cases are for mitx. Something like that for matx boards in steel/aluminum with some gamer attention to cooling potential would be amazing, though! Kinda like the upcoming Node 804, but not as double wide.

Big enough for a 165mm tall heatsink with all metal construction would be a nice thing for the line up. Can even call it the Cosmos Mini if it uses premium materials! :D

(sorry for derailing a bit, I'm in the market for a new case and figured may as well take the opportunity to ask a vendor rep a question. A cubed matx case with the CM storm branding with styling cues from the Scout 2 and premium Cosmos II is basically what I have in mind for a future idea for CM to ponder over. Side 200mm fan in a cube case ..the airflow would be nice!)