Is Buying More RAM a WASTE for Gamers? (2022) - (SPONSORED)

BellLMG

Meanwhile on the productivity side we're gobbling-up all the RAM we can! 🤣  

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

3 minutes ago, Kibelok said:

This is a good video, I had watched it back when they posted. To me, none of games tested with 8GBs is acceptable or a usable system as a whole, though this can be argued as subjective. The page file was being abused in most of the games, and the 0.1% lows are atrocious is most games. He also came to the conclusion that 8GBs is barely enough, and that was 4 years ago. 

I suspect this is a situation where crucial wants to sell more DDR5, which no one wants because it’s currently slow and expensive, and some bright spark in marketing got the idea of trying to convince people that they needed less of it, so even though it was twice as expensive they only needed half as much.  And they used Linus as a patsy to try to make it happen. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

I bought 3 bottles of febreze instead of just 1, the reason? I just wanted to.

Jelly bro?

Why 3, how are you gonna do dual channel with 3? Do they even have RGB?

what a waste of DDR5.

wake me up when DDR6 is here 😛

also was the speed left out? like damn.

Just now, Jorgemeister said:

Sorry but I just read the most entertaining thread today here: 

As for a serious answer, my past system had 16, then 24 because I got a cheap 8gb stickof the same specs, current one 32GB and I know I might not need it all, but I had the money and bought it. 

Ok that's cool but your post made no sense to what you quoted, it just seemed you felt injured in some way by what I said standing up fro myself who thinks I am a valley girl.

It's cool though.

I agree, I mean dual rank brings benefits and with all 4 dimms it brings performance benefits.

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

I've been over 32GB without even having a game open and that was mostly browsers with maybe 6GB utilized in photoshop/lightroom!  It is worth it to not have to micromanage what gets closed before launching an app (so much).

EDIT: Before upgrading to 64GB there were two instances where I had to close out of browsers and restart the game because it was unplayable.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Doing editing 8GB isn't enough.

image.thumb.png.8fa3233950ccecc88c1745d901a22cba.png

This is even 1080P

But I will say that 8GB will be enough for gaming if you manege your resources.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Hello guys

Would you please test other use cases, like database performance (please include Sql Server)? with small and large datasets?

It would really be beneficial for DB Admins and Programmers.

setup environment and licenses are easy to come by (vendors usually provide free trials, which should be enough for your test, and you could ask for Help anytime you want and tons of people are willing to help)

It would be nice if you consider it.

thanx

51 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Sorry but I just read the most entertaining thread today here: 

Reveal hidden contents

As for a serious answer, my past system had 16, then 24 because I got a cheap 8gb stickof the same specs, current one 32GB and I know I might not need it all, but I had the money and bought it. 

“Need” is a complex term when it comes to gaming computers. It will make your machine easily capable of things it otherwise would have had to squeeze to manage

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Sitting at the desktop punching this out with 18GB RAM in use. I have a 32GB kit installed. I learned this lesson the very hard way a long time ago when my expensive gaming laptop refused to go beyond 4GB due to a "chipset limitation" on one hand, and some very stupid decision making by Toshiba on the other. Yeah, they're no longer making laptops 🤣

RAM isn't just about what you use your system for but all the crap that runs in the background along with the stuff Windows thinks it needs (even when it doesn't). Even a misbehaving browser page with a badly coded plug-in can chew through RAM and I have seen my system blow past 24GB. I have quite a lot of background stuff running (performance monitors, skype, team viewer, F@H, desktop widgets, system utilities, etc...) as well as a lot of stuff that gets loaded during startup. My page file is in fact on a separate disk from the boot drive.

My monitor is a 3440x1440 so the 1080P and 4K numbers don't really apply here - it's more likely a wash between the two. I run a GTX 980 Ti which is perfectly fine running that resolution and the games I do have which are mostly older titles and not first person shooters.

As a stark contrast, my newer laptop is also RAM limited at 8GB (thanks Dell 🖕). The big difference here is that I use it only for web browsing and movie streaming as I don't have any games installed on it and the Intel GPU wouldn't be very good at it anyhow. What I have done to get around that last part is to use Steam's game streaming feature to run the game on my desktop and push it to my laptop. That actually works quite well, only drawback is that it ties up both of my systems.

Given how cheap RAM has been for years now I don't see why it's a problem having more on hand when you need it. It's hardly a crime to have 32GB installed in your rig especially when it's a mixed use case system like mine and not just doing gaming. And unlike your CPU or GPU you can add more as most motherboards give you four slots to work with. If you're that strapped for cash that 8GB is your limit you really need to jack up the budget or add more sticks as an upgrade some time later. Having more RAM will also help extend the life of your system - mine has been cruising for 7 years now and it's showing no signs of feeling inadequate or slow.

RAM.PNG

I don't get the people that say that 8Gbs of RAM is not enough for Chrome....

I have 4Gb of RAM (going to buy a new PC with 16Gb), and i open Chrome and 4 or 5 tabs just fine.

When i open Chrome AND Firefox, it gets a bit slow, but it's doable.

I say you guys are spoiled.

Also no, i don't game in the last couple of years due to not having dedicated GPU so i'm not talking about games.

Scratch all i said, i forgot that my Chrome version is old as hell (49.0.26) since i still have Windows Xp.

So...yeah.

49 minutes ago, Isildur said:

I don't get the people that say that 8Gbs of RAM is not enough for Chrome....

I have 4Gb of RAM (going to buy a new PC with 16Gb), and i open Chrome and 4 or 5 tabs just fine.

When i open Chrome AND Firefox, it gets a bit slow, but it's doable.

I say you guys are spoiled.

Also no, i don't game in the last couple of years due to not having dedicated GPU so i'm not talking about games.

Scratch all i said, i forgot that my Chrome version is old as hell (49.0.26) since i still have Windows Xp.

So...yeah.

7 has its points.  Neither are even remotely safe to use with a browser these days though.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

7 has its points.  Neither are even remotely safe to use with a browser these days though.

Sorry but you lost me, what do you mean by 7?

*Looks at Dell Precision Rack 7910 with dual Tesla M40s and 256 gigs of RAM*

*Looks at additional RAM in eBay shopping cart*

... What?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Not a "modern gamer"/average gamer,  so yea situationally positive for me.

Runs 1080p,  7200rpm HDD,   CorsVeng ->2x4gb ddr3 1600

Doubled ram in 2020,  4x4gb ddr3 1600

Improvements to load time, important to me(HDD), but not most of you here because you prob don't experience it as much.

Civ 6 - 2min'ish load times new map,   went down to 1:10min  <--major improvement.    THIS alone makes me wish I'd thought to do this sooner....

Hitman 2 - I never paid attention to the load times,  but it did improve after upgrade. 

What I did test was the ingame benchmark for FPS, and was consistent high 46s to high 47s FPS(30+ tests).   It never reached 48 FPS until I got the ram upgrade. So I came away with a 0.5fps improvement for doubling my ram.  (my exact ram modules cost more in 2020,  than when I bought in 2013)

my expectations were for better load times,  not fps gains. would've been nice though  🙂  SO the value was there for me.

8 hours ago, emosun said:

it's not a waste when some guy is bragging to me about their pc and I tell them my specs and I have more ram.

worth every penny

I recently became aware that someone goofed recommending I go 3200 Mhz with my 1700 (only supports 2993, system has been neurotic since). So now I'm on the hunt for some 2666, and the 3200 will be transplanted to my 5900X, giving it 64GB total. I kinda think it'll be like dropping an 8.2L Cadillac engine in a Chevette (it's been done), but it will be interesting to see if this improves anything.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, Isildur said:

Sorry but you lost me, what do you mean by 7?

A later OS.  The last one that didn’t have spyware in it.

8 hours ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Ok that's cool but your post made no sense to what you quoted, it just seemed you felt injured in some way by what I said standing up fro myself who thinks I am a valley girl.

It's cool though.

I agree, I mean dual rank brings benefits and with all 4 dimms it brings performance benefits.

I think he was being sarcastic and referencing this rollyshed guy from that post, who is just trying to prove that my uncertified PSU which exploded a few days ago exploded cuz of the cable and the PSU had no fault, by just bragging about his experienceScreenshot_2022-06-17-08-40-53-50.jpg.54b644d6c0334970bf432f073f30b867.jpg

3 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I recently became aware that someone goofed recommending I go 3200 Mhz with my 1700 (only supports 2993, system has been neurotic since). So now I'm on the hunt for some 2666, and the 3200 will be transplanted to my 5900X, giving it 64GB total. I kinda think it'll be like dropping an 8.2L Cadillac engine in a Chevette (it's been done), but it will be interesting to see if this improves anything.

I am also curious.

14 hours ago, swimtome said:

See my post, I can defend it.  As part of my work I have multiple remote sessions + many copies of chrome open.  Without a game running I can hit 20 GB (sometimes 30).  Yes most of this is Chrome being a hog, but it comes with the job.  I could get away with 32GB especially if I close everything during lunch, but it's far easier for me to go to 64GB and keep everything open.

Then your not one of the people I meant in my post🤣, I have my doubts for 32gb needed for anyone.

I see I worded my post badly tho haha.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

14 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Enough for what? What's running on your system? Some have more than you, and that's fine. Its not a waste for them. 

This whole argument is silly.

Then again, your not one of the people in my post. Unless you do heavy shit or render files.

I don't see it.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD