Is Buying More RAM a WASTE for Gamers? (2022) - (SPONSORED)

BellLMG

Thanks to Crucial for sponsoring this video! Check out Crucial's DDR5 RAM today at: https://crucial.gg/LTT_DDR5

Still gaming in 2022 on 8GB of RAM (hopefully) in dual channel? We tested some newer games to find out whether or not you'll benefit from an upgrade, or if you're good to go for a little while yet.

Wondering if 32gb does anything.  It used to be adding more memory always made things faster because the extra memory got used as cache for the drive.  Might be non-game only.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have only one game that went over 16GB, that needed virtual memory to be eanbled. I prefer virtual memory to be set disabled.

32GB for me.

I edit my posts more often than not

I tried playing Forza Horizon 5 on an 8GB laptop and it kept pausing the game to yell at me about there not being enough RAM, and that's with me trying to make sure there wasn't really anything running in the background outside of general Windows stuff. Horizon 5 is admittedly a pretty extreme case, being a big pretty open-world game that just came out, but still. I would recommend 16GB even when it's not strictly needed, just because it gives a bit of headroom for background PC shit.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wondering if 32gb does anything.  It used to be adding more memory always made things faster because the extra memory got used as cache for the drive.  Might be non-game only.

If you're literally only gaming then it really seems like you typically won't benefit from more then 16GB. 

What gets a bit glossed over in videos like this is the point of RAM - to hold things that are on your computer open.  These tests don't account for multitasking.  Maybe I'm a streamer with OBS open.  Maybe this is my work machine also and I have a bunch of chrome tabs open in the background + remote desktops + AutoCAD + Big excel files.  Maybe Zoom is on standby.  As RAM maxes out and swaps start happening you'll see system slowness, these scenarios are where more RAM helps keeps your game smooth even if you have a bunch of stuff running.

(Incidentally I wonder how much RAM is 'wasted' in just stuff a typical gamer would have running, even if not streaming.   RGB software, Keyboard/Mouse software etc)

Ofcourse its a waste.. Who needs 32gb? I have 16gb and its more than enough..

Then again its bragging rights.. Never seen someone who needs 32gb and can defend the purchase.. to casually play games and browse youtube videos.

Not heavy rendering or editing footage.

Edited by MultiGamerClub
I know this might be worded a badly a bit, but i truly do mean it.. nobody needs more than 16gb unless *x-example* otherwise haha, or not at all haha.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Then again its bragging rights.. Never seen someone who needs 32gb and can defend the purchase.. to casually play games and browse youtube videos.

It's a myth, . Doom does not need even 4MB XMS if i recall correctly.

Edit: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/doom

I stand corrected 8MB is required, but 4MB is fine.

Just now, MultiGamerClub said:

See my post, I can defend it.  As part of my work I have multiple remote sessions + many copies of chrome open.  Without a game running I can hit 20 GB (sometimes 30).  Yes most of this is Chrome being a hog, but it comes with the job.  I could get away with 32GB especially if I close everything during lunch, but it's far easier for me to go to 64GB and keep everything open.

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Enough for what? What's running on your system? Some have more than you, and that's fine. Its not a waste for them. 

This whole argument is silly.

I think 32GB is better than 8MB anyway...

You can run Doom on CPU Cache anyway ... 😄

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Enough for what? What's running on your system? Some have more than you, and that's fine. Its not a waste for them. 

This whole argument is silly.

Yep this should be the whole video.  Open what you want to have running on our computer.  Launch game. Check RAM Stats.  If 80% RAM usage, consider upgrading, if 90% probably upgrade.

1 minute ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Depends on the definition of “need”.  PCs run stuff besides games.  One can have as much memory as one has drive space by using swap, but swap (page file) is incredibly slow. It’s so slow that having even a bit more memory but still not really enough, can significantly speed things up.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think it's wild that Linus went through all the testing and came up with the conclusion that it's not worth upgrading from 8GB yet. People will complain on the comments for sure, because 8GB nowadays is not enough to use Chrome, let alone game properly.

Just now, Kibelok said:

I think it's wild that Linus went through all the testing and came up with the conclusion that it's not worth upgrading from 8GB yet. People will complain on the comments for sure, because 8GB nowadays is not enough to use Chrome, let alone game properly.

I agree, Clint Eastwood!

Seriously though - do agree.

45 minutes ago, BellLMG said:

How about Microsoft flight simulator 2020? There's been lots of updates to this titles, I have 64gb dual channel ram and rtx 3060 and game settings at high but it doesn't use much ram and a year back reddit reports tell the game limits to max 7gb of ram usage. If the reports are true, then shame on Microsoft for not fixing this/it's their deliberate decision for screwing their game users.

Once upon a time it was said that it was always faster to have more memory AND adding more memory was often the most cost efficient method of making a computer go faster.  This I think is not always the case though. Clearly not for games.  One can see a slight improvement in FPS between the 8and 16gb systems but the difference is not always larg and can not be there at all. 

What kind of Motherboards was used during the testig? Or is there a MB that is capable of using DDR4 & DDR5?
Just wondering, it´s not that easy find a clear answer in the internet.

Whereas I can justify my 32GB due to work and tech hobbies, I just wanted to boast about the yard sale find I had. Found a box that said Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB upon opening the box it was not in fact Corsair V RBG 32GB DDR4 16x2  but it was Corsair V 16GB DDR4 2x8. There was no price listed so when asked I was told 1$. Of course I paid the 1$ and went home threw it in my machine and both sticks were completely functional... Went from 16 to 32 for 1$... 

Snowblind: i7 7700K | Corsair H100i V2 | EVGA 1070 SC | Aorus Gaming K7 |16GB Corsair Vengence 3200Mhz | MX300 275GB M.2 | WD Blue 1TB | NZXT S340 Elite (White)

28 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I have only one game that went over 16GB, that needed virtual memory to be eanbled. I prefer virtual memory to be set disabled.

32GB for me.

Which game was it?

4 minutes ago, Kibelok said:

That wasn’t the conclusion that I saw him come to. He said more memory doesn’t help in some situations, and that it wasn’t an across the board thing.

13 minutes ago, swimtome said:

See my post, I can defend it.  As part of my work I have multiple remote sessions + many copies of chrome open.  Without a game running I can hit 20 GB (sometimes 30).  Yes most of this is Chrome being a hog, but it comes with the job.  I could get away with 32GB especially if I close everything during lunch, but it's far easier for me to go to 64GB and keep everything open.

You are not just gaming then. Can you defend the purchase of 32GB of RAM when someone is only gaming with the computer, and not doing anything else intensive?

And Chrome in the background doesn't count: those tabs will get moved to the page file and after a minute or so will no longer have any impact on the game's performance. You'd have to be actively engaging with those tabs while gaming, like having Chrome open on a second monitor while watching YouTube videos.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That wasn’t the conclusion that I saw him come to. He said more memory doesn’t help in some situations, and that it wasn’t an across the board thing.

His exact quote is:

"There are games out there, now, that utilize more than 8GBs of RAM, but if you're not playing the latest AAA titles, it may not be worth the upgrade for you, yet"

Which is just crazy, 8GBs is not enough for using Chrome. Ask any kid with a Chromebook about how laggy their laptops are.

The most basic gamer is going to have Steam, Discord and a browser, likely Chrome, open. That alone is 8GBs of memory used.