Is Buying More RAM a WASTE for Gamers? (2022) - (SPONSORED)

BellLMG
14 hours ago, Anhur said:

You definitely haven't tried to play heavily modded Skyrim. 10-18gb of ram depending on the location lol

Bruh I play cities skylines with 1900 assets, 30 mods and 6 different lightning assets just to enjoy it.

Wity 32 GB I'm sure it's gonna load faster but I can't defend that cost just for one game

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

16 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Ofcourse its a waste.. Who needs 32gb? I have 16gb and its more than enough..

Then again its bragging rights.. Never seen someone who needs 32gb and can defend the purchase.. to casually play games and browse youtube videos.

Not heavy rendering or editing footage.

Not of course.  Modern machines are supposed to use all of their memory all of the time as long as it’s powered to do things like caching simply because it’s there and it’s faster than storage.   The question seems to be how much does that actually help?  The impression I got from the time graphs was “not a lot”, it was done though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Bruh I play cities skylines with 1900 assets, 30 mods and 6 different lightning assets just to enjoy it.

Wity 32 GB I'm sure it's gonna load faster but I can't defend that cost just for one game

What cost? It was just 1/18th of my monthly salary.

I know we have a huge influx of children on here but this is ridiculous.

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

3 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

What cost? It was just 1/8th of my monthly salary.

Wow.
That’s some serious “let them eat cake” action there.  I can only assume this is humor. People from all over the world on this site.  there are places in the world where the average annual salary is less than $200.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Wow.
That’s some serious “let them eat cake” action there.  I can only assume this is humor. People from all over the world there are places in the world where the average annual salary is less than $200.

So that's their issue, how do I need to dumb down what I do for others because they are less fortunate?

Someones circumstances are not always the fault of them on both sides, I don't owe you anything.

Let me guess you will think I am selfish now and interpret this how you want to rather.

1 minute ago, Unedited_Mind said:

So that's their issue, how do I need to dumb down what I do for others because they are less fortunate?

Someones circumstances are not always the fault of them on both sides, I don't owe you anything.

Do you return the shopping cart when you buy groceries?

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Do you return the shopping cart when you buy groceries?

Well duh, otherwise it is in the way of others vehicles.

What are you getting at?

2 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Well duh, otherwise it is in the way of others vehicles.

What are you getting at?

Just a video I saw last night.  

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not of course.  Modern machines are supposed to use all of their memory all of the time as long as it’s powered to do things like caching simply because it’s there and it’s faster than storage.   The question seems to be how much does that actually help?  The impression I got from the time graphs was “not a lot”, it was done though.

We could do fine with 2x4gb of 8gb of memory. 16gb is just getting more of a necessity than its actually needed.

If 16gb was more expensive than just have a single stick, we would certantly be on a single stick x'D

e:

13 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

What cost? It was just 1/18th of my monthly salary.

Less than 1:40-50 something i get in the month, but its not something i can defend for solely one game to use.

Unless i start editing videos or need to render stuff, 16gb is what im gonna have..

or i just want more rgb in my pc and icue doesnt suck ass.

Then im kinda a hypocrit haha.

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Just a video I saw last night.  

I am not even an average earner, I am above my own family if you recall me saying and even I can afford an extra 16GB of memory once in a blue Moon, it's really not what you seem to think it is.

Looking for something that is not here, I don't know your circumstances but I live in a western civilization, I can only intuit that you are too young , too lazy or live in a 3rd world country by the way you frame having 32GB of memory, which is a luxury to have a computer to begin with.

14 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

We could do fine with 2x4gb of 8gb of memory. 16gb is just getting more of a necessity than its actually needed.

If 16gb was more expensive than just have a single stick, we would certantly be on a single stick x'D

e:

Less than 1:40-50 something i get in the month, but its not something i can defend for solely one game to use.

Unless i start editing videos or need to render stuff, 16gb is what im gonna have..

or i just want more rgb in my pc and icue doesnt suck ass.

Then im kinda a hypocrit haha.

Well sure.  I’ve done fine with 4kb of memory years ago.  That amount of memory cost about what 16gb does today for ddr4 or 8gb for ddr5 iirc the official minimum to run windows10 is 2gb of memory 80gb of storage, and 1ghz processor or something like that. 

Edited by Bombastinator

16 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

I am not even an average earner, I am above my own family if you recall me saying and even I can afford an extra 16GB of memory once in a blue Moon, it's really not what you seem to think it is.

Looking for something that is not here, I don't know your circumstances but I live in a western civilization, I can only intuit that you are too young , too lazy or live in a 3rd world country by the way you frame having 32GB of memory, which is a luxury to have a computer to begin with.

Well you’re 0for 3 then.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well you’re 0for 3 then.

There is something called planning and using your brain, navigating the circumstances you have to best work for yourself.

So no car, no kids = more money to save or use and to be able to survive and work for what you want at a later date and always keep improving and aiming upwards.

Only thing that it takes is hard work and perseverance with some intelligence.

And we are talking here over a measly some of money for a bit of RAM.

Most folk live beyond their means and can't budget so remain in the situation they are in life long.

I am not 0 for 3 or anything, I am me against the world like every other adult but do try to connect with others and live in a civil fashion.

Just because I can drive, don't mean I should drive, the long term cost is sky high compared to walking or waiting for the bus.

3 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

There is something called planning and using your brain, navigating the circumstances you have to best work for yourself.

So no car, no kids = more money to save or use and to be able to survive and work for what you want at a later date and always keep improving and aiming upwards.

Only thing that it takes is hard work and perseverance with some intelligence.

And we are talking here over a measly some of money for a bit of RAM.

Most folk live beyond their means and can't budget so remain in the situation they are in life long.

I am not 0 for 3 or anything, I am me against the world like every other adult but do try to connect with others and live in a civil fashion.

Just because I can drive, don't mean I should drive, the long term cost is sky high compared to walking or waiting for the bus.

Yeah you are.  You made a bunch of predictions about me all of which are completely wrong. 

as for the rest of it it’s a pretty long and round about way of saying you believe in divine right.  Your option.  Statistically it’s pretty rare.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah you are.  You made a bunch of predictions about me all of which are completely wrong. 

as for the rest of it it’s a pretty long and round about way of saying you believe in divine right.  Your option.  Statistically it’s pretty rare.

I just don't think you are very realistic and have a very weird view of people who splashed a bit on something.

£70 is nothing. That could be a weeks grocery shopping, that could also be nights out with friends if I had any but I have a hard time making friends as they all fall within the dull minded trap and made decisions they regret and soon your mindset turns sour or depressed, they just drink to wash away their sorrows, I am not young partying no more and the world has changed, it is going to keep changing, we are in a chaotic era.

I'm just monitoring my RAM usage and unless my monitoring indicates I need more RAM, I'll make do with the 16GB I have.

13 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

I just don't think you are very realistic and have a very weird view of people who splashed a bit on something.

£70 is nothing. That could be a weeks grocery shopping, that could also be nights out with friends if I had any but I have a hard time making friends as they all fall within the dull minded trap and made decisions they regret and soon your mindset turns sour or depressed, they just drink to wash away their sorrows, I am not young partying no more and the world has changed, it is going to keep changing, we are in a chaotic era.

How much cake can one get for £70?  I’ll go for at least one of us not being realistic.   In the US that’s a day and a half’s labor at current minimum wage.  Groceries for a week for one in the usa is pushing $100 atm. At least in my area. 

33 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

This really is not expensive especially if you have no kids or a vehicle to maintain like me.

I feel that haha, i drive a diesel 2 liter but there always comes some hidden shit up haha.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How much cake can one get for £70?  I’ll go for at least one of us not being realistic.   In the US that’s a day and a half’s labor at current minimum wage.  Groceries for a week for one in the usa is pushing $100 atm. At least in my area. 

Then that's your issue, not mine.

The term you are looking for is projection, I am sorry the situation could not be better but from what it looks like, you are not that down trodden or you would not be here typing on LTT forum from a device.

Also what has this got to do with the price of 2x8GB RAM, it's not expensive. I ordered 2 kits way out from each other.

image.thumb.png.1efe49126a3ee80409a2bb2f3e0009e4.png

I think you are just making up arguments that real down trodden people don't have the platform or advantage you have to do.

https://www.quotemaster.org/not+my+problem

6 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Then that's your issue, not mine.

The term you are looking for is projection, I am sorry the situation could not be better but from what it looks like, you are not that down trodden or you would not be here typing on LTT forum from a device.

Also what has this got to do with the price of 2x8GB RAM, it's not expensive. I ordered 2 kits way out from each other.

image.thumb.png.1efe49126a3ee80409a2bb2f3e0009e4.png

I think you are just making up arguments that real down trodden people don't have the platform or advantage you have to do.

You made it abundantly clear earlier it’s not yours.  It’s why I asked the question about the shopping cart.  So Right back atcha.  Like I said, I think it’s possible that at least one of us is.  

You are accusing me of lying about the cost of groceries?  Seriously?  You want a recipt?  I threw half of it away at the store, yesterday (it came in 2 pieces, long story) but I’ve got part of the thing.  Minimum wage is usually not paid in cities because the cost of living is much higher.  $15/hr, rather than about half that, is common there.  It’s not outside of them though.  $100 isn’t a big deal for my sister.  She says she’s in “the ten percent” though.  I’m not.  You might be.  That’s fine,  it’s still 10% though.  The entire world doesn’t live like that.  Hence the cake reference.  Do I have more education than most at my socioeconomic level?  Sure. It was a conglomeration of low probabilities. 

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You made it abundantly clear earlier it’s not yours.  It’s why I asked the question about the shopping cart.  So Right back atcha.  Like I said, I think it’s possible that at least one of us is.  

You are accusing me of lying about the cost of groceries?  Seriously?  You want a recipt?  I threw half of it away at the store, yesterday (it came in 2 pieces, long story) but I’ve got part of the thing.  Minimum wage is usually not paid in cities because the cost of living is much higher.  $15/hr, rather than about half that, is common there.  It’s not outside of them though.  $100 isn’t a big deal for my sister.  She says she’s in “the ten percent” though.  I’m not.  You might be.  That’s fine,  it’s still 10% though.  The entire world doesn’t live like that.  Hence the cake reference.  Do I have more education than most at my socioeconomic level?  Sure. It was a conglomeration of low probabilities. 

I don't think you read what I typed properly, I also stated I am not even an average money maker, I am below.

If I were above average, the car argument is nonsensical...

I thought you would have caught on but I will lay it out flat.

I work as a chef, I cook for people, the job I do, many people come in and leave, the job is very tough and intense, I barely get time to myself and what time I do I use to relax, I have been pushing back my learning because of this which is my own problem, no one else's and I will find a solution. I am paying for courses I have yet to finish, I am still able to save money but not as much as I would like to due to this, I am not free of burdens or problems.

I never said I was anything, I said I am not even an average earner and still 16GB extra of RAM is nothing in expenditure as I can make it back by working.

You may want to either talk to your sis or look inwards at what the possible cause is as this is not my problem, it is yours and your circumstances. Just as my circumstances and traps are my problem too.

If your issues are my problem, you will ask directly for money, so what good is me giving you money all for you to just end up in the same situation? Somehow your sister is better off and you hate that, I don't know details and I don't need to, it's just the point. If you can't learn you won't ever make it anyway and giving is useless, me giving you money ensures nothing, just the means to buy some RAM or food. A person who learns to fish can keep themselves alive and survive, a person who relies on another is dead once the other can no longer bring what you want.

Harsh truths of reality.

25 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

I don't think you read what I typed properly, I also stated I am not even an average money maker, I am below.

If I were above average, the car argument is nonsensical...

I thought you would have caught on but I will lay it out flat.

I work as a chef, I cook for people, the job I do, many people come in and leave, the job is very tough and intense, I barely get time to myself and what time I do I use to relax, I have been pushing back my learning because of this which is my own problem, no one else's and I will find a solution. I am paying for courses I have yet to finish, I am still able to save money but not as much as I would like to due to this, I am not free of burdens or problems.

I never said I was anything, I said I am not even an average earner and still 16GB extra of RAM is nothing in expenditure as I can make it back by working.

You may want to either talk to your sis or look inwards at what the possible cause is as this is not my problem, it is yours and your circumstances. Just as my circumstances and traps are my problem too.

If your issues are my problem, you will ask directly for money, so what good is me giving you money all for you to just end up in the same situation? Somehow your sister is better off and you hate that, I don't know details and I don't need to, it's just the point. If you can't learn you won't ever make it anyway and giving is useless, me giving you money ensures nothing, just the means to buy some RAM or food. A person who learns to fish can keep themselves alive and survive, a person who relies on another is dead once the other can no longer bring what you want.

Harsh truths of reality.

Not having a car is very common in some places even though it is very rare in the US due to the way things are laid out.  Not having a car can be a sign of high status. Often isn’t, but can be. My only experience with The UK was a brief stint as a backpack tourist in London, but the city is bigger than New York and has a very good subway.  Chef is kind of a funky profession in that one can be an executive chef making 6 or 7 figures, or a line cook making a fraction of that. Because of this it makes a good example.  There are a lot more line cooks than executive chefs. In a world wide view both of us are likely fairly wealthy. Back to the original topic though: do I think that one CAN game on 8gb. For the moment, yes. Should one build a computer with only 8gb in it for gaming?  No.  Computers do more than play games, and the probability that one is going to need to do one of those is quite high. 

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not having a car is very common in some places even though it is very rare in the US due to the way things are laid out.  My only experience with The UK was a brief stint as a backpack tourist in London, but the city is bigger than New York and has a very good subway.  Chef is kind of a funky profession in that one can be an executive chef making 6 or 7 figures, or a line cook making a fraction of that. Because of this it makes a good example.  There are a lot more line cooks than executive chefs. In a world wide view both of us are likely fairly wealthy. Back to the original topic though: do I think that one CAN game on 8gb. For the moment, yes. Should one build a computer with only 8gb in it for gaming?  No.  Computers do more than play games, and the probability that one is going to need to do one of those is quite high. 

And best of all? I don't care about people above me and what they do, I see them as other humans, there is no advantage, we all die and leave this life anyway, what we have is not going with us, so who cares?

As long as you can find some spot of sanity, comfort and happiness, that is all that matters, the rest is being lost in delusions and illusions that the world would like you to be in, it is a vicious cycle that ensures the extremes will remain, it is not some person sat on a throne looking down on others, it is just the very nature of nature it's self, there is a pecking order created from differences, there are circumstances better than others, all you need to do is use what you have, get used to being the real you and just do it.

Just because one is smarter, don't mean the circumstances allow them to flourish, some of us are trapped for now but are learning and applying.

2 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

And best of all? I don't care about people above me and what they do, I see them as other humans, there is no advantage, we all die and leave this life anyway, what we have is not going with us, so who cares?

As long as you can find some spot of sanity, comfort and happiness, that is all that matters, the rest is being lost in delusions and illusions that the world would like you to be in, it is a vicious cycle that ensures the extremes will remain, it is not some person sat on a throne looking down on others, it is just the very nature of nature it's self, their is a pecking order, there are circumstances better than others, all you need to do is use what you have, get used to being the real you and just do it.

So much for back to the original topic I guess. Your statement is at odds with your initial comment.