I have Gigabit download speeds, but why don't files at a Gig download in 1 second?

Actual_Criminal

I have had Gigabit internet now with 3 providers in the UK. Don't get me wrong, certainly is fast compared to previous speeds, but let's say i'm downloading a game from Steam or a movie, it is never 1 second and much longer unlike what is advertised.

This happens even if downloading onto an NVme SSD (Samsung 980 Pro) which is supposed to be really good speeds.

Yet, when I do a download speed test, it shows I have just under a Gig in download speeds (around 900mb). - I have also noticed that the download speed gets quicker the longer the download is, as it will start slow and get faster like a snowball. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

You might be getting confused between bits and bytes. 8 bits is one byte, so a gigabit internet can download at about 120mB/s. So a 1gB file would be expected to take 8 seconds to download(likely a bit longer).

The other issue is not all links to servers are gigabit, so there may be a slowdown in some other part of the internet or isp equipment, or the server is not able to supply data at that speed.

What speeds do you get downloading in steam? This is often a best case scenario 

Gigabit =/= gigabyte. One gigabit is equal to 125MB, not 1GB. A lot of it also depends on the speed of the servers you're downloading content from. It's great that you have a fast connection, but if the server that's sending you a file doesn't have a connection that fast then you're limited by their connection, not yours. A lot of things online won't transfer at gigabit speeds for this reason. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

When you purchase these "plans" from your ISP, you're not buying the exact speed, but rather, bandwidth. Every location around your area, has certain cell towers that accommodate to everyone in your area.

Purchasing a faster speed from your ISP is like buying a bigger piece of the pie. You're still susceptible to perhaps others in your area that have a faster speed than yours, as well as the overall area's usage. Also, Gbps is Gigabits and not Gigabytes, 1 Byte = 8 Bits.

CPU : Intel i5-12600K

Motherboard : ASUS TUF Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz CL16 (2x8GB)

AIO : Corsair H100i 240MM

GPU : Asus TUF RTX3070

Case : ThermalTake Core P3

Keyboard : D60 HHKB with Jwick Ultimate Black switches, G81-3000SAV PBT keycaps

Mouse : Logitech G Pro Wireless

Audio : Edifier R1280DBs | Sennheiser HD598

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You might be getting confused between bits and bytes. 8 bits is one byte, so a gigabit internet can download at about 120mB/s. So a 1gB file would be expected to take 8 seconds to download(likely a bit longer).

The other issue is not all links to servers are gigabit, so there may be a slowdown in some other part of the internet or isp equipment, or the server is not able to supply data at that speed.

What speeds do you get downloading in steam? This is often a best case scenario 

Ah it appears I might be confused then. 

On Steam I get around 100-110mb per second roughly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

1 hour ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Ah it appears I might be confused then. 

On Steam I get around 100-110mb per second roughly.

Steam, by default, displays in bytes (denoted with a capital B) KB/MB/GB/etc. You can change to bits in the settings and it will show in Mb (lowercase b for bits).

110MB is about gigabit after accounting for overhead of packets.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The speed your ISP advertises is the speed to their nearest switch. It is not the speed you get connecting all over the world. Your internet connection goes through all kinds of of pier network providers, etc. Ideally as ISPs update their speed levels the over all 'web' increases it's speed as well, but reality is not the case. 

On 6/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, Actual_Criminal said:

I have also noticed that the download speed gets quicker the longer the download is, as it will start slow and get faster like a snowball. 

This is due to tcp window size getting bigger as the download progresses. the packets in the beginning will be smaller, and if there are no errors (re-transmissions) the file transfer protocol will increase the next packet size, while overhead remains the same. This gives you a better ratio of user data to overhead, resulting in higher download speed.

on fiber, errors are rare, but if an error does happen and packet needs to be re-transmitted, then the window will get smaller and you notice a slight drop in speed before it goes up again. Happens a lot on DSL lines. Fiber is usually pretty good, errors are rare.