[Updated] Apple  WWDC 2022 - What was announced and stuff

Lightwreather
On 6/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, JogerJ said:

iOS16 features: basically if anyone has questions about any of the listed items, just ask a Pixel user. 

As I've said in a status update, majority of the visual changes in iOS 16 is NOT inspired by Android but by the jailbreaking community.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 6/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, leadeater said:

MacBook Air with detachable keyboard with dual OS modes would be sweet, can't see any reason why that would be a problem or worse in any real way. We have M1 powered iPads already and you can pair keyboards with them too, what you cannot do is use one like the other.

i would rather they did something similar to Samsung DeX.

take your ipad, plug it into a dock with a monitor and you now have a M1 powered computer without having to buy another computer. and no, the current way it works is not good enough. it needs to be treated like a separate screen with full resolution and ratio support, not just mirror the ipad and have ugly black bars everywhere with a more desktop like UI.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

t needs to be treated like a separate screen with full resolution and ratio support, not just mirror the ipad and have ugly black bars everywhere with a more desktop like UI.

that's literaly what they announced

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

21 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

that's literaly what they announced

seems i missed that part, about time, it's something that has always held them back.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

seems i missed that part, about time, it's something that has always held them back.

i imagine when the stuff comes out there will be lots of videos from the usual places going over how well it works and where it falls short, but at this stage, it's interesting looking if nothing else.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

Just now, Video Beagle said:

i imagine when the stuff comes out there will be lots of videos from the usual places going over how well it works and where it falls short, but at this stage, it's interesting looking if nothing else.

probably, just like the early days of DeX. but at least it's something

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

probably, just like the early days of DeX. but at least it's something

They’ve also added the same thing to macOS. I’ll probably stick to using virtual desktops myself (I refuse to call it spaces), but I’ll definitely give it a go at some point to see if it makes sense for any of my workflows

What if Stage Manager looks the way it looks (floating stacks of windows on the side at arm's reach) because after macOS and iPadOS it will also be used on a third yet unannounced OS...an OS where windows literally float before your eyes and where the input method makes it inconvenient to cmd+tab or use gestures to swap Spaces...

31 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

What if Stage Manager looks the way it looks (floating stacks of windows on the side at arm's reach) because after macOS and iPadOS it will also be used on a third yet unannounced OS...an OS where windows literally float before your eyes and where the input method makes it inconvenient to cmd+tab or use gestures to swap Spaces...

So, realityOS?

Edit: I realise now after posting, the intent...

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

4 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So, realityOS?

Edit: I realise now after posting, the intent...

Exactly. 

Hence creating a unified multitasking experience across macOS-iPadOS-realityOS. 

20 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

They’ve also added the same thing to macOS. I’ll probably stick to using virtual desktops myself (I refuse to call it spaces), but I’ll definitely give it a go at some point to see if it makes sense for any of my workflows

I have tried Stage Manager on my 16" MBP and I found it to useful in my workflow. I always forget the virtual desktops are there and never use them.

I have also downloaded a free window tiling manager called Tiles. Together with Tiles and Stage Manager I can now efficiently manage my windows and group them without clutter. Stage Manager also focuses on the window/s you have clicked on and moves the rest of the windows to the "Stage dock".

I also like Stage Manager is a toggle( optional) and you can auto-hide the side Stage dock as well

On 6/13/2022 at 2:41 AM, JogerJ said:

iOS16 features: basically if anyone has questions about any of the listed items, just ask a Pixel user. 

Sincerely doubtful.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:53 PM, captain_to_fire said:

As I've said in a status update, majority of the visual changes in iOS 16 is NOT inspired by Android but by the jailbreaking community.

Also doubtful.

While it's too much to go "Apple thought this thing whole-cloth with no outside inspiration", it's more likely users were simply asking for it long before any Android or jailbreaking introduced it.

A lot of stuff I see demanded of iOS and MacOS aren't because some competitor has the feature, but rather it's workflow change that just made sense, and in some cases (like USB-C on iphones and ipads) the lack of that feature is holding back adoption in certain fields of work. Features that you see in iOS/iPadOS and MacOS tend to be aimed towards creative industries. 

Android has yet to find a niche anywhere except with Java developers.

15 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

oh bravo...I had wondered why it looked the way it did...seems a bit "un-mac" like to me really.....hadn't put the obvious 2+2 together.

37 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Just if anyone cares

BECC1616-5599-49C5-AB79-732C23F7905D.thumb.jpeg.6221c4f16f33835cc913ef5de7a3c44f.jpeg

44C2838B-51D0-4DA1-A692-623E7DF81832.thumb.jpeg.e4a40a0cf0ce19d4d7afeea7827e93e5.jpeg

Waiting for those davinci resolve benchmarks, GB doesn't tell the full story.

Split on either m2 or 3080/3070 this summer

Windows laptops are still way better in terms of gpu power, but extremely expensive... (m16 for example)

4 hours ago, Spindel said:

Weird thing to benchmark, but i freely admit to not understanding this level of the computer.

FSM Board: FSM CD: Heavy Metal: The Score

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Weird thing to benchmark, but i freely admit to not understanding this level of the computer.

FSM Board: FSM CD: Heavy Metal: The Score

I would say it’s more of Power Metal than Heavy Metal 😉