[Updated] Apple  WWDC 2022 - What was announced and stuff

Lightwreather
3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The M2 looks like a pretty big step up from the M1. Not sure why people are saying it's "just" an incremental update.

18% higher CPU performance.

35% faster GPU performance.

40% faster NPU.

50% higher memory bandwidth.

Support for more memory.

Upgraded media engine.

I am mostly disappointed that Apple still does not seem to support AV1.

Also, let's hope the power consumption stays the same (edit: It is at the same power!).

In terms of pure CPU performance I can't say I'm particularly impressed - an 18% improvement isn't much of an upgrade for a 2-year cycle. AMD has achieved that level of improvement basically every 15 months with Ryzen (although that may change with Zen 4 - who knows).

To me the GPU upgrade is much more interesting as that was a "weak point" of the SOC - CPU perf was already really good after all. The memory bandwidth  is also interesting as that was already really good - I wonder how much of the GPU upgrade is due to this? The NPU upgrade is also kinda interesting, but I've no idea how much it's actually used so idk if it is a meaningful upgrade to consumers.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

5 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Good to know that my 6th gen iPad with an A10 Fusion chip will still get iPadOS 16

image.thumb.png.2d7a1482fcee5a4aee36f5e0159cec40.png

Important to note however that the new multitasking features (Stage Manager) will only come to M1-equipped iPads. This is by far the biggest disappointment of the event for me as it's - as far as I can tell - a purely arbitrary move to try and get people to buy new iPads. I can't think of any reason as to why the M1 would be necessary for this and it's a massive "fuck you" to 2020 (and even 2018) iPad Pro owners.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 minute ago, Marko1600 said:

This phone as webcam feature is the least apple feature of all time, looks like Tim was inspired by some youtube life hacks

It just looks... cheesy

Hard agree with this one. The concept is not bad, but the execution is far from the usual Apple polish, as least in terms of looks.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That really kills me. Because after you spent a shit ton on a computer then you have to buy an expensive Dock in order to run more than 1 extra screen. For reference I run dual ultrawides on my Intel MacBook Pro. 

Im wondering if I should skip Mac OS 12 all together. I didnt install it because there were issues with the Intel Macs during the beginning. 

What issues specifically? The Bluetooth wake stuff was patched a good while ago. Anecdotally, I don’t have any noticeable bugs aside from Safari messing up colorspace on YouTube 4K videos, though that was also present in Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Roswell said:

What issues specifically?

Heard there was some bricking of the computer. Something with the T2 chip I believe. Windows 10 has given me PTSD when it comes to OS updates. So I have a tendency to wait until I feel they have polished it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Heard there was some bricking of the computer. Something with the T2 chip I believe. Windows 10 has given me PTSD when it comes to OS updates. So I have a tendency to wait until I feel they have polished it. 

The only issues I can think of that were like that happened when macOS Big Sur was first launched, and those issues were fixed very shortly after. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

The only issues I can think of that were like that happened when macOS Big Sur was first launched, and those issues were fixed very shortly after. 

I 100% recall reading when 12 came out it has massive issues with Intel Macs specifically. So I have waited to install the updates.

Catalina was buggy for me, Big Sur was a huge improvement. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Oh that was back when it came out. I think you had to have very specific circumstances for it to be an issue. It was fixed really fast afterwards.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Oh that was back when it came out. I think you had to have very specific circumstances for it to be an issue. It was fixed really fast afterwards.

Good to know. 

2 hours ago, Marko1600 said:

This phone as webcam feature is the least apple feature of all time, looks like Tim was inspired by some youtube life hacks

It just looks... cheesy? I think most people would agree

CqiLlCu.0.jpeg

The thing that stood out to me about this is the situation of “Hey, you know how we finally added 1080p webcams after years of people complaining about the 720p potato cams? Why don’t you just use your iPhone as a webcam?”

That MagSafe monitor mount looks clumsy to me. I’m expecting Satechi to make something much more elegant in time for Ventura release.

29 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

That MagSafe monitor mount looks clumsy to me. I’m expecting Satechi to make something much more elegant in time for Ventura release.

One can save money by buying third party iPhone stands. I have one in my desk that also includes a mini ring light so I can feel like a vlogger while doing case presentations

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Paul Thexton said:

The thing that stood out to me about this is the situation of “Hey, you know how we finally added 1080p webcams after years of people complaining about the 720p potato cams? Why don’t you just use your iPhone as a webcam?”

@thechinchinsong

On the other hand, iphone 12 and above all have magnets...

Why didn't they just add magnets to the back of the air, so you can use it without the balkin mount??? 

Would limit compatibility but still...

I'm just glad they didn't add white bezels with the notch, black bezels on the pro are supposed to help us cope with the notch. White bezels would just exaggerate it.

Notch + white bezels = hell. and no, not the energy drink

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

When people said brick they meant needed to rep flash the firmware, this is a soft brick since you can undone it (if you have another Mac and a USB-C cable).  One neat feature of all of apples Macs from T2 onwards is you can fully flash and reset the firmware in the entier system even if a firmware upgrade fails mid way through the existing USB-C port on the device using software you can download from apple (the linux on M1 team even developed a version of this that runs on linux so you don't need a Mac just a linux machine with the correct USB-C hardware.. to have the needed driver support). 

Most other laptops on the market do not support this level of firmware recovery and if they do it will require you to open up the device and even that is not going to reset the firmware on you SSD controller or GPU. (unlike high end oc motherboards/gpus this is not considered a feature by most laptop makers). 

So, looks like the iPad is about to finally reach drinking age in terms of being a kinda competent desktop substitute.

What if some Gen-Z completely skips owning a traditional Pc/Mac and just goes with iPad Air M1 + usb-c hub + cheap external monitor + mouse&kb + Sony/MS gaming controller 🎮?

Benefits

- all-in-one device for both sitting at the desk and chilling on the sofa

- touch and pencil enabled

- built-in full disk backup to iCloud 

- extremely portable 

- optional 5G

- some native gaming

- gaming via streaming services (Geforce NOW, etc.)

- picture taking and document scanning 

- signing documents using the pencil

- reduced risk of malware

- hot developing platform for the latest apps compared to the Mac

- FaceID authentication (iPad Pro only)

- 3D scanning of objects/rooms via LIDAR (iPad Pro only)

Cons

- the occasional site that will have random issues unless it’s browsed via a desktop OS

- a lot less flexible, customizable and powerful than a desktop OS

Still.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am mostly disappointed that Apple still does not seem to support AV1.

I don't see why they would both putting dedicated silicon for AV1 when they already have very good HEVC encode and decode and have paid for it. AV1 is really there for people who do not want to pay for HEVC.  All we really need is apple to start selling 1U rack mounted binned M1/M2 dies to cloud providers as video encoding stations to reduce the cost of encoding HEVC (typically doing this cloud side have a high license fee cost). 

7 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Important to note however that the new multitasking features (Stage Manager) will only come to M1-equipped iPads. This is by far the biggest disappointment of the event for me as it's - as far as I can tell - a purely arbitrary move to try and get people to buy new iPads. I can't think of any reason as to why the M1 would be necessary for this and it's a massive "fuck you" to 2020 (and even 2018) iPad Pro owners.

Maybe the 8GB/16GB of RAM (compared to 3-4-6 GB of non-M1 iPads) could have something to do with that?

Stage Manager + external display will allow for a grand total of 8 open apps on screen at the same time…

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

I don't see why they would both putting dedicated silicon for AV1 when they already have very good HEVC encode and decode and have paid for it. AV1 is really there for people who do not want to pay for HEVC.  All we really need is apple to start selling 1U rack mounted binned M1/M2 dies to cloud providers as video encoding stations to reduce the cost of encoding HEVC (typically doing this cloud side have a high license fee cost). 

Because:

1) AV1 is better than HEVC. It provides higher quality at the same bandwidth.

2) They are a member of AO Media and should therefore push for it.

3) AV1 is or will be used in several places that don't use HEVC. Youtube for example do not use HEVC, so having AV1 support would help a lot when watching Youtube, which is something a lot of people do.

4) We should support open standards when possible.

5) HEVC is not just a "pay once and forget about it". Apple has to keep paying in order to use HEVC. Every single time they sell a device that can use HEVC in some way, they have to pay a licensing fee. Why not use the free and objectively better alternative instead? Anything else is just a sunken cost fallacy.

Anyway, even if Apple were to sell a HEVC encoding service it would still be very expensive. The issue with HEVC is the licensing, not the hardware. 

12 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

But only A11 and up for iPhone (rip my iPhone 7)

Linus has a meme on Facebook. It's not like the Galaxy S7 and S9 can still get Android 13

image.thumb.png.7e36a0ff2d2d4ca5cb2146080665490e.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Linus has a meme on Facebook. It's not like the Galaxy S7 and S9 can still get Android 13

image.thumb.png.7e36a0ff2d2d4ca5cb2146080665490e.png

Joshua is the basic boomer, that thinks he knows everythign that there is to know about technology, just like my dad.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Sony/MS gaming controller 🎮

New in iOS16 and iPadOS16: Nintendo controllers too. 

14 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I didn't really interpret that as an "Android vs iOS" post. I see it more as a "civil war" type of post, where iPhone 8 users are happy to get something iPhone 7 users won't.

Too bad people just can't help themselves. Someone said something remotely negative about an iPhone? Gotta justify being in the Apple camp by saying how bad Android is!

Someone said something remotely negative about Android? Gotta justify being in the Android camp by saying how bad iPhones are!

Anyway, you shouldn't compare iOS releases to Android releases. OS updates are far more essential on iOS than on Android.

On iOS, you can't even update several of the "stock apps" without doing an OS upgrade. No OS upgrades basically means your phone is stuck exactly the way it is.

Meanwhile, on Android, you can get some fairly major updates that aren't tied to a specific OS. Not only are all "stock apps" upgradable without an OS upgrade being needed, a ton of OS components are not tied to any particular OS version and as a result can be upgraded without an OS upgrade being needed. Google can add functions to Android whenever they want, and to any version they want. Nearby share was an example of this.

The whole comparison of "how many updates device X got vs device Y" or "how long it took to get OS version X on device Y" is kind of pointless because people are comparing apples and oranges.

18 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Joshua is the basic boomer, that thinks he knows everythign that there is to know about technology, just like my dad.

How did you get that from his post?

All he said was that Apple does a better job than most Android device makers at providing software updates. I don't see how you come to the conclusion that "he thinks he knows everything" from that.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

4) We should support open standards when possible.

The AV1 codec is open standard but there are no AV1 open hardware decoder/encoders all of that will be a mix of nasty patents. For someone making hardware it might well be much harder to deal with (and much more costly) than HEVC. Even if you design your own you need to ensure you don't accidentally infringe on someone else's implementation. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

5) HEVC is not just a "pay once and forget about it". Apple has to keep paying in order to use HEVC. Every single time they sell a device that can use HEVC in some way, they have to pay a licensing fee. Why not use the free and objectively better alternative instead? Anything else is just a sunken cost fallacy.

They would need to do the same for any hardware decoder patents they licensed fro AV1.  AV1 is free but only in that anyone cant implement the spec but the spec does not include any suggestion of how to implement it in a power optimal way in modern silicon, the spec just includes a sub optimal software version as an example, even implementing a software solution of your own of AV1 could run the risk of breaching someone else patents with respect to how that is implemented, there is no license AV1 can create that means others cant patent was to decode it that are not included in the academic examples they provide.