Game freezes, artifacts everywhere, and perhaps shutdown.

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,

No, first after i removed the overclock. Might do. even though im not really playing so much :-/

Yes, after i removed the overclock. But quite some time after actually... Asus. Hmm i've tried installing latest drivers as a ''clean install'', did'nt work though. Are you sugesting to completely uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall them?

If you clean installed, then that shouldn't help.. As I said, try to contact ASUS, hopefully they could help you.

Hey guys!

Recently my PC has started randomly freezing, and shutting down. Theres always artifacts (as shown on the pic) and it only comes when i've played MW3. I only play MW3 and sim city 4. it also happens in sim city, but the PC doesnt shut down, even though it both freezes and artifacts appear. MSI afterburner indicates that my gpu is'nt running hot, at all! (On the pic, im playing sim city 4. The peak is where My PC shortly freezes, and theres artifacts.) Also, i've noticed that when playing MW3, MSI Afterburner claims that my gpu usage is over ''4645%'' (or other insanely high) But temps are still good, and the card doenst sound like it's struggeling.

A while back i removed ALL overclocks, as i does'nt really play heavy games anymore, and it was starting to run unstable.

My friends have recommended ''the oven trick'', but im not really sure. What do you guys say?

post-13130-0-80842100-1398273807_thumb.j

post-13130-0-11157900-1398273905.jpg

Specs:

Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Systemtype: x64-based PC
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz
GPU: GTX 460
RAM: 8 GB Kingston...
MB: MSI Z77A-G43
PSU: 750W Energon... :-0
SSD: Samsung 840 120gb

-Mangeese xD

Had this kind of artifacts too once. RMA'd it. Was a memory fault i think.

Edit: Yeah you could put it in the oven but i'm not sure if it would help here. Do you have any OC's on the card?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Had this kind of artifacts too once. RMA'd it. Was a memory fault i think.

Edit: Yeah you could put it in the oven but i'm not sure if it would help here. Do you have any OC's on the card?

Yeah, i've had overclocks, but i removed them. So im runnig stock now...

If this was when you had GPU overclocks, then your overclock was not stable enough. Might as well upgrade though, with that card. :P

I had that 6000% load weird thing as well on my 560Ti. It started behaving like this right after you got stock speeds back? Blow the dust out of the heatsink if you can and if there is any. What manufacturer is your 460 from? Try reinstalling the latest drivers, but not beta. If that doesn't work, contact your manufacturer. They will probably help you.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If this was when you had GPU overclocks, then your overclock was not stable enough. Might as well upgrade though, with that card. :P

No, first after i removed the overclock. Might do. even though im not really playing so much :-/

I had that 6000% load weird thing as well on my 560Ti. It started behaving like this right after you got stock speeds back? Blow the dust out of the heatsink if you can and if there is any. What manufacturer is your 460 from? Try reinstalling the latest drivers, but not beta. If that doesn't work, contact your manufacturer. They will probably help you.

Yes, after i removed the overclock. But quite some time after actually... Asus. Hmm i've tried installing latest drivers as a ''clean install'', did'nt work though. Are you sugesting to completely uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall them?

If you clean installed, then that shouldn't help.. As I said, try to contact ASUS, hopefully they could help you.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thank you, i'll try that :-)

Thank you, i'll try that :-)

Your power supply could be the culprit instead of your GPU.

I was told to send it back to the store i bought it in, but unfortunately my warranty has expired a couple of weeks ago... So it seems like im going for a upgrade ;-)

Your power supply could be the culprit instead of your GPU.

I dont think so... I've tried to change the 6-pin connectors with another pair. No changes. And the PSU actually has runned quite smooth. But it could maybe have caused the GPU to fail?...

I dont think so... I've tried to change the 6-pin connectors with another pair. No changes. And the PSU actually has runned quite smooth. But it could maybe have caused the GPU to fail?...

From looking it up online that power supply is of dubious quality. Changing the 6-pin connectors wouldn't matter if the power supply is failing. I would test the graphics card on a different power supply.

From looking it up online that power supply is of dubious quality. Changing the 6-pin connectors wouldn't matter if the power supply is failing. I would test the graphics card on a different power supply.

Wasnt the PSU. I baked the GPU, and it seems to be working - for now ;-)

But i still think the PSU might be damaging to my components... And i know about its quallity and so on.