Backpack for camera gear

Go to solution Solved by IC_SubiX,

I´m really late with my solution now, sorry 😕

After searching the web for a while I finally found this:
https://nya-evo.eu/products/fjord-60-c-adventure-camera-backpack?logged_in_customer_id=&lang=en

The backpack is now in use for more than 9 months, and I REALLY love it.

It fits all the criteria I listed above plus some more nice to have:

- Fits into (most) cabin luggage

-Good weatherproofing and YKK-zippers

-Internal Frame = holds form even if its empty

The first real "test" was when I went into the Alps with all my Equipment. I was able to fit more then 25Kg of load into it. (Yes, this is quite heavy, but I only packed the stuff I need for the hikes) After the first 8h hike (around 2300-3100m alt. -not easy terrain) with the Backpack weighing around 11 Kg, I can say (at least for me) it is quite comfortable and very useful.

I since used it for everything including some photography (and videography) jobs like weddings.

If you have Questions pls let me know, i am happy to answer all of them.

(a Picture of the backpack with the gear will follow shortly)

Hi,

I need to get a backpack for my camera gear. So, the question is if you can give me advise, since there is so much variety. (I have seen lots of reviews, so I was able to narrow down on designs.)

What are your experiences and what can you recommend?

Here is what I’m looking for: (In order of importance)

1. comfort (I'm hiking a lot)
2. back access

3. space for 15'' laptop

4. removable camera cube

5. removable waist belt

6. tripod carry option

Since most of the backpacks with higher quality are sealed against water good enough, this should not be a problem.

My important gear is: 3 Sony bodies (1x aps-c) + 5 lenses + 15'' laptop + all the random stuff (Sometimes I need to take the Sigma 150-600 with me)

Finally, I want to mention that I’m from Germany, so backpacks I only can by in US (e.g.) with +50€ shipping probably isn't the best idea.

Thanks for your help, I’d like to hear your opinions on this. [I had a look at the "Shimoda Explore V2 35" but it's quite expensive and I dislike the material]

System:   i7-12700kf --- rx 6800 --- z690 WiFi --- DDR5 2x16gb --- 2x NVMe m.2 1TB --- 650W PSU --- 4000D Airflow --- NH-U14S --- 27" QHD + 34" UWQHD

Camera:  Sony a 7iv + a7 + a6000[astro] ------- 70-200 f4   +   28-70 f2.8   +   35 f1.4   +   105f 2.8   +   150-600 f5-6.3

The tripod attachment may be both the easiest and hardest one because there are so many tripods.  I’ve used ones that were a foot long folded and ones that were 3 feet long folded with 4 times the diameter and a sticking out handle.  I suspect that is going to have to be a pair of straps, so anything with two exterior strap attachment points could possibly work, but you’re probably going to have to rig something. One thought for the tripod may be a map case or mailing tube of the appropriate diameter to use as a sort of sheath so you don’t have to keep restrapping it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The tripod attachment may be both the easiest and hardest one because there are so many tripods.  I’ve used ones that were a foot long folded and ones that were 3 feet long folded with 4 times the diameter and a sticking out handle.  I suspect that is going to have to be a pair of straps, so anything with two exterior strap attachment points could possibly work, but you’re probably going to have to rig something. One thought for the tripod may be a map case or mailing tube of the appropriate diameter to use as a sort of sheath so you don’t have to keep restrapping it.

Jea, this is true I know that. This is why it's the least important feature. I'm used to carry my tripod in it's case separately.

[https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/media.want.jp/EE/A5E2ADE9C7FDEE/A5E2ADE9C7FDEE_1_1000.webp]

System:   i7-12700kf --- rx 6800 --- z690 WiFi --- DDR5 2x16gb --- 2x NVMe m.2 1TB --- 650W PSU --- 4000D Airflow --- NH-U14S --- 27" QHD + 34" UWQHD

Camera:  Sony a 7iv + a7 + a6000[astro] ------- 70-200 f4   +   28-70 f2.8   +   35 f1.4   +   105f 2.8   +   150-600 f5-6.3

I've owned this one for a couple years and been pretty happy with it, I can squeeze a ton into it. I think if fits everything you were looking for, minus the removable waist straps. It's held up quite well for the price, but I haven't been on many long hikes to know for sure the comfort over long periods. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K8L72H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'd check out Mindshift by ThinkTank. I have the Backlight 26L and it fits my Sony A7rIII, Sony 24-105mm f4 G, Tokina 20mm f2, Tamron 17-28mm, and Sigma 150-600mm (bit of a tight fit). It's probably not what you're looking for as it doesn't have the removable camera cube or removable waist belt. But I find it very comfortable. with room for water, snacks, rain jacket, etc. You'd definitely need the 36L or 45L version with your amount of gear, though.

You might be more interested in their Rotation Backpack. The only requirement I don't think it meets is the removable waist belt, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It comes in a 34L and 50L version.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/backpacks/products/rotation-34l-backpack

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/backpacks/products/rotation-50l-backpack

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

• 11 months later...

I´m really late with my solution now, sorry 😕

After searching the web for a while I finally found this:
https://nya-evo.eu/products/fjord-60-c-adventure-camera-backpack?logged_in_customer_id=&lang=en

The backpack is now in use for more than 9 months, and I REALLY love it.

It fits all the criteria I listed above plus some more nice to have:

- Fits into (most) cabin luggage

-Good weatherproofing and YKK-zippers

-Internal Frame = holds form even if its empty

The first real "test" was when I went into the Alps with all my Equipment. I was able to fit more then 25Kg of load into it. (Yes, this is quite heavy, but I only packed the stuff I need for the hikes) After the first 8h hike (around 2300-3100m alt. -not easy terrain) with the Backpack weighing around 11 Kg, I can say (at least for me) it is quite comfortable and very useful.

I since used it for everything including some photography (and videography) jobs like weddings.

If you have Questions pls let me know, i am happy to answer all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 6:07 PM, IC_SubiX said: