[Poll]What's your preferred brand, AMD or Intel?

I am really excited about the improvements made to the APU and HSA.

I hope their new announcement is for a new APU

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Budget and purpose dictates my choice. I favor the performance and price over brand loyalty.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Budget and purpose dictates my choice. I favor the performance and price over brand loyalty.

I feel you on that

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Whatever runs the games I personally like faster. Currently that is Intel and has been for quite awhile. If I was going for a budget rendering machine and didn't play CPU bound games like MMO's/RTS/large shooters or do emulation on consoles like Wii. 8320 in a snap. 9xxx? Pointless. 8350? I think the 8320 makes way more sense. Enthusiast cooling/motherboard on AMD makes no sense to me over a cheap z87 and a Intel for gaming. If rendering? Makes sense as long as you aren't nearing a I7 K build in price.

Has nothing to do with being a fanboy. I have owned my share of AMD CPU's/GPU's and I also had a 3DFX card and a creative sound card, an adlib one, an orchid one, an imagine card, a Cyrix CPU. What happened to all the fanboys of those companies. They are long gone. What is here today is gone tomorrow in the tech world often.

I would go r9 270 on a budget build over Nvidia's offerings all day long around that price. Aftermarket cooled r9 290's at near 400 again are pretty damn awesome as well. 280x I prob go GTX 770 there.

This AMD vs Intel crap, Nvidia vs AMD/ATI crap makes us look like console fanboy imbeciles. Both companies have released hot chips and bad cooling. I will buy whatever is cheaper and better at the time. I would LOVE for AMD to be more competitive as gaming chips. I think low level API's will help quite a bit. We need someone lighting a fire under Intel's complacent ass, or at least making it so they can't pull shenanigans like putting cheap TIM under the lid of a CPU.

I shudder to think of the crap Intel would pull without AMD there. Seeing some of the ridiculous promises and statements AMD makes? I would trust them about the same if they were on top.

I buy Intel due to performance but if I had to pick the company I like more atm between AMD, Intel, Nvidia? AMD. Mantle, just for pushing the price of a gaming computer down with low level API's for future buyers to help grow PC gaming and Freesync. Does that mean they are nicer people. Prob not. Desperation can make companies play nice with customers. Where the hell was low level API's 10 years ago? 

Fanboys are silly, and fanboys of one side who want the other side to die off are even sillier. Without competition we would be screwed.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I like Intel because I like really high end stuff. I almost like the idea of it more than the thing itself, so Intel's enthusiast range just excites me. I don't dislike AMD, though, and I wouldn't not get an AMD CPU if it made more sense to me when I was shopping around for one.

Intel because it's better. AMD runs @ 100+ degrees and uses 250w! That's insane! I can run Intel overclocked @ 40 degrees using 50w! But if you want overheating and high electric bill, go AMD. :)

Intel because it's better. AMD runs @ 100+ degrees and uses 250w! That's insane! I can run Intel overclocked @ 40 degrees using 50w! But if you want overheating and high electric bill, go AMD. :)

Might want to double check where you get the AMD temps from, 8350 has a thermal limit of 75c

The power bill thing is overblown in most countries and my 4770k on a stock cooler at stock voltage...

You want to talk about hot? That thing ran every bit as hot as a 8320/50. I was waiting for a evo 212 from newegg and decided to render with it. I can't even believe they sell a stock fan with the 4770k to be honest.

Both chips run hot as hell when OC'd and both use quite a bit of power. At 4.5 I am like 180-190 watts at full bore. It isn't exactly as low as stock lol. 

Intel is better at one thing. Gaming on really cpu bound games. Low level API's will fix that. Intel will still be ahead, but not lightyears ahead on many mmo's, rts and stuff. If multiplayer gaming is the emphasis, I would go Intel for the next couple years, but if it isn't? There is nothing wrong with AMD and the 8320 can be a freakin fantastic chip and deal for people who could care less about some types of games and emulators. My brother in law LOVES his new 8320 for his racing games and single player games. He hates MMO's, couldn't care less about emulating nintendo games and doesn't play multiplayer shooters.

uH5XqlB.jpg?1

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

The power bill thing is overblown in most countries and my 4770k on a stock cooler at stock voltage...

You want to talk about hot? That thing ran every bit as hot as a 8320/50. I was waiting for a evo 212 from newegg and decided to render with it. I can't even believe they sell a stock fan with the 4770k to be honest.

Both chips run hot as hell when OC'd and both use quite a bit of power. At 4.5 I am like 180-190 watts at full bore. It isn't exactly as low as stock lol.

Intel is better at one thing. Gaming on really cpu bound games. Low level API's will fix that. Intel will still be ahead, but not lightyears ahead on many mmo's, rts and stuff. If multiplayer gaming is the emphasis, I would go Intel for the next couple years, but if it isn't? There is nothing wrong with AMD and the 8320 can be a freakin fantastic chip and deal for people who could care less about some types of games and emulators. My brother in law LOVES his new 8320 for his racing games and single player games. He hates MMO's, couldn't care less about emulating nintendo games and doesn't play multiplayer shooters.

uH5XqlB.jpg?1

Nailed it, well said

uH5XqlB.jpg?1

Whats the name of that program to test your CPU?

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

I use AMD because I'm too poor to afford Intel master race. Recently I started going to school and my only choice was a laptop, since I can't just carry a tower around.

So, my choices were:

1) Get an Intel CPU with a bottom tier GPU

2) Get an Intel CPU with a seperate GPU(AMD or Nvidia) that drains battery power

3) Get an AMD CPU that has a GPU from one of the two top GPU companies.

I went with 3.

If I was given the option to make a tower and didn't have to pay for it, I'd go with Intel. Maybe. But mostly only because, from what I've seen, Intel supports more max memory, earlier. And if I'm not paying, 128GB of RAM would make for a sweet RAMDisk.

Might want to double check where you get the AMD temps from, 8350 has a thermal limit of 75c

I was just trollin'. :P

Budget: AMD

Everything else: Intel

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Cyrix master race. 

My preference lies with Xilinx. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Both companies are needed to drive innovation, at this point in time they cater to different markets. Personally I use AMD products, purely because I always have (and never had any issues/need for anything more than they offer), and everyone loves the underdog. 

As much as I hate dirty tactics being used to turn a duopoly into a monopoly, when a brand screws me over in anyway, will make me jump sides no problem (seagate  :angry:).

It's not where you take things from - It's where you take them to. 

Personally I use Intel, but I use an AMD build for my friends who are tight on the budget.

Whats the name of that program to test your CPU?

The speed? Cinebench R 15. There is a thread on this sub forum with scores for multi core/single core that you can add a score to. Have CPU-Z open with ram speed and clock speed (open it twice). 

The temps. I posted Real bench and HW monitor (shows voltages/power draw). HW monitor may or may not work on voltage on the AMD. I have heard people say it won't. May have been updated. May not. When dialing in the OC I usually use a few temp programs and take the highest one to be safe. They can vary a few degrees.

Core 2 is better than all

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

• 4 years later...

for me, definitely AMD. Although the PC that I am using is AMD and this is my first build. Well besides from taking apart and rebuilding extremely old computers that couldn't even run Angry Birds. hahaha.

My preferred brand is whatever gives me the best performance for what I do, which is mostly gaming.

So historically, it's mostly been Intel, though I was onboard AMD for a bit during the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 days. But since Core 2 launched, it's been all Intel for me.

Funnily enough, I think I've owned more AMD (or ATI) graphics cards than nVidia over the years, even though nVidia has probably been on top longer than AMD/ATI have been. This may be due to AMD/ATI generally being the better value (not right now though, with the ridiculous mining craze driving AMD GPU prices way up) and I'm still on my Fury X because it performs very well still at 1080P on all the latest games, and I have a Freesync monitor so an AMD GPU makes more sense for me.