GTA V crashing on RTX 3070 Ti

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
42 minutes ago, d6b said:

Yeah no it doesnt do any weird clicking noises. Ive had an issue with it before where it completely died on me but i contacted the seller, got a replacement and since then its worked perfectly fine. Which powersupply do you have now/would you recommend for a 3070 Ti?

Hmm, I have a corsair RMI650,  but generally people recommend RMX650 (almost same model), maybe a RMX850 (850w) would be better for your setup.

I mean, worth a try.

Edit: also! Before you do anything,  do you have the latest compatible BIOS for your motherboard? 

As for why it *maybe* crashes, could be GTA has some weird spikes the other games dont have and thus it crashes, definitely imo that bequiet psu is quite trigger happy, although it could have been just a faulty unit...

It could also be RAM... memtest64 show anything? 

Can also try just 1 stick in different slots etc...

To me, switching out the psu just seems an obvious step, but the other things mentioned are probably easier to try first. 

Hello guys,

I have a very weird and annoying GTA V crashing issue. I used to play the game just fine a few months back with a 1660 Super but since then i have upgraded my GPU and am now running into a very annoying issue where my game constantly crashes. The exact issue is as follows:

I launch the game through steam (tried using R* launcher, no difference), start either online or story mode, am able to play for between as low as 10 seconds up to sometimes 10 or even 15 minutes, then my game just crashes to Desktop.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Msi Gaming X Trio RTX 3070 Ti OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz 

ASUS ROG Strix B550M WiFi

Windows Drive: Samsung 980 1TB NVMe

Game Drive: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

CPU has lowered TDP for better temps because its very power hungry (i tried disabling that but didnt do anything)

I tried so many things like running my GPU on Gen 3 instead of 4, disabling all kinds of overlays, disabling windows game mode + hardware accelerated GPU scheduling, i even fully wiped and reinstalled windows on my pc just to get this damn game working with no change. I also tried looking at event viewer but that doesnt even show any Errors in Windows Logs > Application when the game crashes. I am running the latest drivers for my 3070 Ti and am really out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

25 minutes ago, d6b said:

CPU has lowered TDP for better temps because its very power hungry (i tried disabling that but didnt do anything)

Could be an unstable underclock.

You tried running stock TDP ?
How are you cooling the CPU? what's your case and heat sink?

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

28 minutes ago, Linus5exT1ps said:

try to cap your fps , see if that will help 

Didnt make a difference, crashed again after 3 minutes in single player.

1 minute ago, Quickstrike said:

Could be an unstable underclock.

You tried running stock TDP ?
How are you cooling the CPU? what's your case and heat sink?

Like i mentioned, i did try to run the CPU without the changed TDP but it didnt seem to help.

My case is the Corsair 4000D Airflow and im running a Noctua NH-U12A.

I shouldve also probably mentioned i am running the game in borderless window mode on a 4K60Hz GSYNC monitor but i have tried different resolutions as well as disabling gsync, all nothing. I also did try playing the game in windowed, borderless windowed and fullscreen mode. When in Fullscreen, instead of outright crashing, the game instead froze with audio being looped in the background until force closed. Apart from that, no difference.

4 minutes ago, d6b said:

Like i mentioned, i did try to run the CPU without the changed TDP but it didnt seem to help.

My case is the Corsair 4000D Airflow and im running a Noctua NH-U12A.

I shouldve also probably mentioned i am running the game in borderless window mode on a 4K60Hz GSYNC monitor but i have tried different resolutions as well as disabling gsync, all nothing. I also did try playing the game in windowed, borderless windowed and fullscreen mode. When in Fullscreen, instead of outright crashing, the game instead froze with audio being looped in the background until force closed. Apart from that, no difference.

try Using older version of Driver , what psu do you have ?

Does this only happens with that game?

If it was OK before with a lower model then Id check if the PSU is enough for a 3070 and also use HWinfo to monitor temps and trottling while laying that game.

19 minutes ago, Linus5exT1ps said:

try Using older version of Driver , what psu do you have ?

I have a be quiet! 750W Straight Power 11

3 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Does this only happens with that game?

If it was OK before with a lower model then Id check if the PSU is enough for a 3070 and also use HWinfo to monitor temps and trottling while laying that game.

Any other game as well as hour-long stress testing even with OC works fine, i have a 750W PSU which should work with a 3070 Ti as far as i know. Also, if it is a PSU problem, wouldnt it crash the entire PC?

3 minutes ago, d6b said:

Any other game as well as hour-long stress testing even with OC works fine, i have a 750W PSU which should work with a 3070 Ti as far as i know. Also, if it is a PSU problem, wouldnt it crash the entire PC?

Can you install HWinfo and track temperatures and wattage?

Have second monitor run game on one and hwinfo on second, and try to see what happens on moment of crash 

its probably your PSU which you didn't even list ...

1 hour ago, d6b said:

if it is a PSU problem, wouldnt it crash the entire PC?

not necessarily,  might just crash the GPU

1 hour ago, d6b said:

I have a be quiet! 750W Straight Power 11

cool. had the same PSU. Constant crashes with a 3070... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

cool. had the same PSU. Constant crashes with a 3070... 

i mean that seems kinda plausible, but why do i only have this problem in gta and in my year of running this card i have not had common crashes in any other game/benchmark/stresstest? I want a little more info confirming this theory before i buy a new PSU just to play GTA 😅

13 hours ago, Linus5exT1ps said:

Have second monitor run game on one and hwinfo on second, and try to see what happens on moment of crash 

13 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

Can you install HWinfo and track temperatures and wattage?

Neither Temperature nor wattage spike during the crash. Powerdraw when playing starts out at 180W but quickly climbs and normally averages around 270-290W Peak and Temps are around 69° Max with a Hotspot of 79° Max, so nothing unusual as far as i know.  

1 hour ago, d6b said:

i mean that seems kinda plausible, but why do i only have this problem in gta and in my year of running this card i have not had common crashes in any other game/benchmark/stresstest? I want a little more info confirming this theory before i buy a new PSU just to play GTA 😅

Good point if its really just that 1 application I'd be skeptical too... just saying it all sounds like psu /power delivery is likely, but for me it was crashing all the time no matter the application...

Actually... does it make any clicking sounds? Because mine did literally all the time even when it wasn't crashing...

That made it relatively easy to pinpoint it too, a psu just shouldn't make clicking noises all the damn time lol. 🤷‍♂️

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

30 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Good point if its really just that 1 application I'd be skeptical too... just saying it all sounds like psu /power delivery is likely, but for me it was crashing all the time no matter the application...

Actually... does it make any clicking sounds? Because mine did literally all the time even when it wasn't crashing...

That made it relatively easy to pinpoint it too, a psu just shouldn't make clicking noises all the damn time lol. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah no it doesnt do any weird clicking noises. Ive had an issue with it before where it completely died on me but i contacted the seller, got a replacement and since then its worked perfectly fine. Which powersupply do you have now/would you recommend for a 3070 Ti?

42 minutes ago, d6b said:

Hmm, I have a corsair RMI650,  but generally people recommend RMX650 (almost same model), maybe a RMX850 (850w) would be better for your setup.

I mean, worth a try.

Edit: also! Before you do anything,  do you have the latest compatible BIOS for your motherboard? 

As for why it *maybe* crashes, could be GTA has some weird spikes the other games dont have and thus it crashes, definitely imo that bequiet psu is quite trigger happy, although it could have been just a faulty unit...

To me, switching out the psu just seems an obvious step, but the other things mentioned are probably easier to try first. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I doubt it would be an issue with the PSU if it only happens with one game, I bet benchmarks demands more than GTA.

Is your GTA instalation legit or pirated? Have you done the files integrity check in Steam, it has worked for me in the past.

2 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

I doubt it would be an issue with the PSU if it only happens with one game, I bet benchmarks demands more than GTA.

Is your GTA instalation legit or pirated? Have you done the files integrity check in Steam, it has worked for me in the past.

Yes my installation is legit on steam, yes i have verified files, ive also reinstalled the game and the entirety of windows, to no avail.

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean, worth a try.

Thank you very much for the idea to update bios, doing so seems to have finally fixed the issue! I was running version 1401 which is from late 2020 and updated to the latest version, since then i have not had a single crash, been playing for hours at this point. Thank you!

Kinda surprised nobody thought of this, but did you DDU your drivers after changing from the 1660 Super to the 3070 Ti?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

9 minutes ago, d6b said:

Thank you very much for the idea to update bios, doing so seems to have finally fixed the issue! I was running version 1401 which is from late 2020 and updated to the latest version, since then i have not had a single crash, been playing for hours at this point. Thank you!

No problem,  glad it helped!

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer