For what purpose you use your sick powerful hardware

frozensun

Hi guys.

I suppose some of you own like 5950x, 12900K, 11900K, threadripper etc..

For what purpose/business you use it except gaming?

Do you make $ from it?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5900x/vega 64 + 5800h/3070

3d work (modelling, renders,...), drawing (really don't need a beast like this for but well purpose one) unreal engine visualizer development and minor music production.

Protein structure determination, Rendering, science stuff.

It’s for my job, so in some ways yes I make money from it, but not in a direct way.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

5900x/vega 64 + 5800h/3070

3d work (modelling, renders,...), drawing (really don't need a beast like this for but well purpose one) unreal engine visualizer development and minor music production.

I'd like to ser your work.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

It’s for my job, so in some ways yes I make money from it, but not in a direct way.

Protein structure?You mean CPU calculates smth like the software with Pi number?

What protein structure?Sounds interesting 🙂

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3600+3070, I use it to watch tutorials while I work on my work laptop. On my own time I use it for gaming, lately some fusion360 work.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Protein structure?You mean CPU calculates smth like the software with Pi number?

What protein structure?Sounds interesting 🙂

Protein structures that are reconstructed from experimental microscope images. They use GPU accelerated code to align images with each other to generate a 3D volume from 2D images.

protein wise, I’ve worked on lots of things pertaining to gene expression, like RNA polymerase ii, ribosomes, and other various adaptor factors.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You do work for your job, which is the way you make money, with your computer. That's about as direct as it gets imo.

Personally the only vaguely strenuous thing my hardware gets used for is compiling small personal software projects. Gaming is the only thing that actually puts a serious load on it though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

5950x + rtx 3060 + 64gb of ram

Mostly data engineering work (I only use my work laptop when on the go), ML competitions and my MSc research based on multi task learning for leaf disease detection.

The 3060 is a great GPU to do small local experiments due to its 12gb of vram (2nd only to a 3080 12gb, 3080ti and 3090), but anything more heavy and I turn into the cloud with V100s or A100s.

Forgot to say that I rarely ever play games, mostly dota 2 those days (like once every week or so).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, BobVonBob said:

You do work for your job, which is the way you make money, with your computer. That's about as direct as it gets imo.

Personally the only vaguely strenuous thing my hardware gets used for is compiling small personal software projects. Gaming is the only thing that actually puts a serious load on it though.

I hear you, it’s always a bit strange definition on my side as for me I’ve always felt “the money making machine” produces something that is directly sold off as cash.

Like, I take photos with my camera for work too, but I don’t associate my camera to be a money making machine, as I’m not a photographer….. kinda a bit hard for me to put convincingly.

Being an academic is also a strange beast when it comes to money, we certainly spend a lot of it, but don’t necessarily generate a tangible return…so..yeah…..

So for your jobs and projects you must have the recent hardware?

What are recommended system specs?

For me, it's not important at all. I'd still be using my FX6300 build if it wasn't for the max ram amount of that platform (32gb). Since I needed more ram, I had no option other than upgrading to a newer platform.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

That really depends on the work at hand lol

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

For my needs, having at least 2 GPUs in the system is a must, and the amount of VRAM matters too, 8GB is minimum, more is better. Newer is of course better, but anything above 1080Ti grade is perceived useful. 4 GPUs is better than 2, but then the CPU needs to be able to keep up.

64 GB RAM is ok if only 2 GPUs, but with 4 GPUs you need 128 GB RAM and that puts you basically automatically with threadripper. Naturally, having enough PCIe lanes, power, cooling, means that with a quad GPU setting everything gravitates toward high end. Unfortunately to keep feeding the GPUs with data, storage also needs to be fast, so M.2 SSDs are out friends.

I am starting to feel like this is related to your infamous thread.

I can do fine with my 3570K system from 10 years ago if it was working just fine however it doesnt. I would be 100% fine with my 3100 but it runs significantly cooler and has a lower power consumption and I needed it a server thus it is my server.

Only reason why I even got a 3070 in the first place was because price was right and economy of the country I live in made it now or next election season sort of a purchase.

Hardware is not making that much of a difference for what I do that I could never justified upgrading from a 3570K/GTX970/16GB system to the one I currently have.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

54 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I like keeping things separated but there is a good chance youve seen some

To add on to this in an edit. Let me be proof that you REALLY do not need a big boi beefy system to make it. I did my work on a i7 6700hq + gtx 970m laptop till very late 2020 and only had the help of a crappy messed up broken acer nitro 5 with a 2060 in there that I purely bought used for rendering with rtx acceleration. @Levent might be interested in these facts too

I'm rocking an older high-ish end system.

i7 10700k, 32GB DDR4 3200, (new gpu) RX 6600.

For my job I create programs for lasers to cut on sheet metal and sometimes I have to bring a program home and work on it if I get behind and the due date is coming up. (CAD, using Amada software, Amada machines as well) 

The CAD drawings do eat up some system resources but not as bad as editing 4k video, rendering a scene on Blender, etc. and I find the 8 core CPU and 32GB of fast(ish) memory works extremely well. The system is also crazy snappy (thanks to all NVMe storage) and runs almost dead silent.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

In before a bunch of people talk about 3D modelling and video rendering when in reality they did a "beginners guide to SketchUp" once, and have pirated Adobe Premier but only uses like 2 features in it to string together some random clips from a game they played.

Let's be honest here. 99% of the forum users with really high end computers bought it for bragging rights, not because they need it.

That, and the dopamine hit you get when you buy expensive stuff.

AI training and generation (mainly NLP but also some StyleGAN).

don't make money, don't want to/plan to.

It's all for fun.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Wait… You guys HAVE sick powerful hardware?

I thought that was a meme…

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Let's be honest here. 99% of the forum users with really high end computers bought it for bragging rights, not because they need it.

Dang, truth hurts.  LoL.  I9-9900K with an RTX3090.  I play video games and surf the web.  Nothing truly productive comes out of it.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

In before a bunch of people talk about 3D modelling and video rendering when in reality they did a "beginners guide to SketchUp" once, and have pirated Adobe Premier but only uses like 2 features in it to string together some random clips from a game they played.

that's what you get out of a teenager gaming forum tbh lol

Lenovo N23 Yoga

I like my framerate high. I got 5800X because it's peak for gaming, but isn't unnecessarily expensive like 5900X/5950X. Would get 5600X, but I already had Intel 5820K with 6c/12t some 6 years prior so buying same core count so much later didn't feel quite right. 5800X upgraded on that too a bit.

I sometimes also need a lot of cores, but not that often. These days I mostly need the compute grunt for quick slicing of 3D models. Which I didn't even check if it's a single threaded task or multithreaded. If I set advanced parameters for adaptive slicing it usually takes quite some time even on 5800X.

17 hours ago, frozensun said:

For what purpose/business you use it except gaming?

Personal cloud gaming/productivity servers as well as productivity work.

Honestly, I should have probably gone with a HEDT chip but, when I built the main workstation, that seemed like overkill (and then the secondary machine is composed of spare parts I had after upgrading the main one). Although I do get to play around with higher-end hardware at my actual job where my latest 'baby' test server is running 512Gb of RAM and dual Epyc.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

I dabble in 3D art commissions so having a powerful rig is a matter of getting stuff in and done quickly. Honestly after the pandemic I haven't done as much work as I used to. Beyond that I get high end hardware for longevity because we must always remember the life span of computer hardware:

Great parts become Good parts

Good parts become Ok parts

Ok parts become Bad parts

Bad parts become Shit parts.

Shit parts stay Shit parts.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Actually as a hardcore gamer for like 25 years i thought one day to start creating games but at least scenes.

I watched some yt tutorial on UE5.

Boy does it look complicated.

I suppose I have enough of HW juice to run this thing.

I can not imagine how my 3900x feels when I throw at him light web browsing. 🤣

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

Actually as a hardcore gamer for like 25 years i thought one day to start creating games but at least scenes.

I watched some yt tutorial on UE5.

Boy does it look complicated.

I suppose I have enough of HW juice to run this thing.

I can not imagine how my 3900x feels when I throw at him light web browsing. 🤣

I mean, you can buy the most expensive hammer in the world, but you still have to learn how to drive a nail. The hammer cares not whether it is being used to drive a nail, or break an egg, it is only a tool. Its more about you, not the tool, and its incredibly important you always remember this.