best way to learn linux

Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,
7 hours ago, Tomberry said:

yh but i have school and i cant afford to spend time trouble shooting instead of working 

Use your virtual machine and solve problems as they come up.

hi does anyone have any good ways to learn Linux (webistes,vidio series ect) i will be using a virtual machine and have to experience

I suppose diving head first and googling (or Duckduckgoing) if you encounter any issue is a pretty good option.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

If you want a trial by fire, setup a mainline Arch/Gentoo install manually. You're exposed to a lot of different Linux concepts that way, and it is a pretty good way to get to know what exists. The Arch Wiki is your friend. It's not for the feint of heart, but if you want to learn Linux relatively quickly and you are a fast learner, this is probably the fastest way to be somewhat competent in a Linux system. 

If you want a less trial by fire, it really depends on what your goals are. The way I personally started learning it was to install Ubuntu server on an old machine and host a Minecraft server for me and some friends. It was basically learning how to set everything up to do that, and every time I needed to do something, I just googled "how to do ____ in Ubuntu" and followed the tutorials that showed up. If you want to eventually daily it, try doing all your daily tasks in the VM, see what works and what doesn't, and just google how to do ___ every time you do. Eventually you'll find that you're googling less and less and you're getting more and more better. Basically, install a distro and just try to get it to do what you want it to do, googling as you go along, and eventually you'll be proficient. 

If you want to actually learn, make it your main operating system. No dual booting or VMs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

19 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

hi does anyone have any good ways to learn Linux (webistes,vidio series ect) i will be using a virtual machine and have to experience

Just sit down and use it. It is easier than moving from Win7 to Win8 or jumps like that.

How do I know?

My partner was using Windows7 then 10, had been using Windows for decades. October 2018 Microsoft wiped the disk of a million users. Everything had been previously backed up to a Linux disk. Having been using Widows the previous evening she was now, next morning, using Linux Mint. Simply carried on using her computer as she always did. Emails, documents, spreadsheets for business work, watching and downloading videos and song sheets for violin practice and her ukulele instrumental group. Tax, and other business work when necessary.

Personally I tried Linux Mint on an old computer a decade ago. I realised after a year I'd only booted the faster Windows machine a couple of times so moved the disk across and carried on using Linux Mint. Since then I've done about 50 installations.

A classic case, a woman could was having trouble getting her assignments done. I removed the Windows disk, fitted an SSD with Linux Mint on it into her laptop and she got her work done, passed her exams and got a job.

So, what is your problem? Just install Linux Mint Cinnamon and use the computer as you usually use a computer. Yes, it does help if the desktop is set up logically but that is simple enough to do.

Yes, I have written up instruction sheets with suggested apps and layout and procedures.

1 hour ago, Tomberry said:

The Arch wiki helps me a lot when i encounter issues on the Arch based distro that i use (Manjaro).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 hours ago, Levent said:

If you want to actually learn, make it your main operating system. No dual booting or VMs.

yh but i have school and i cant afford to spend time trouble shooting instead of working 

7 hours ago, Tomberry said:

Use your virtual machine and solve problems as they come up.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain