Is a 750w psu enough for both 3080 and 5950x ?

AlexStarr

It'll depend on the exact PSU, though unless you currently own one, I wouldn't really recommend it. It's very borderline for whether or not it'll work, and the price difference between a good 750 and good 850 which shouldn't have a problem isn't enough that it makes sense to risk dealing with a possible shutdown. 

In theory yes, wattage wise is fine. 

The problem with 3080 is that it can have some high current spikes and it likes to trigger the overcurrent protection on most older or lower end PSUs, even if its 750W.

If you already have the PSU, give it a try but you may need to upgrade otherwise you may experience random PC shutdowns. 

Another reason to buy a higher wattage PSU (if you don't already have one) is that, even if a good 750w could work today, PSUs tend to slowly lose wattage over the years. So a 750w might be enough now, but it might not be enough in 3-4 years.

5 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Another reason to buy a higher wattage PSU (if you don't already have one) is that, even if a good 750w could work today, PSUs tend to slowly lose wattage over the years. So a 750w might be enough now, but it might not be enough in 3-4 years.

3-4? Try this year. 1000W PSU's are gonna be require for anything more then 4070, Nvidia is going down the intel rabbit hole sadly of just doing more power instead of purely doing a better architecture. These power hogs are seriously gonna cause some issues with 750-850W psu's, even the 3000 series already has had issues with quite a few 650-850w Units. 5950x+3080 id say you would want 850W, 3080 being 250-330W+ 5950x 100-150W + SSD's and fans, it should be under 600W, but some PSU's really dont like that. Ive had to recommend replacements of about 20 or so Systems because they upgraded from Pascal (1070/1080/1080ti) to a 3080 and the PSU kept failing.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

3080 being 250-330W+

In most loads mine draws 380-400W, granted with a water block on it so GPU boost can go ham, but 330W is a pretty low estimate for a 3080, especially when you consider that the TDP for those cards is just an average, they spike well above 500-600W for a couple nanoseconds, sometimes as high as 800+. 

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

3-4? Try this year.

Pretty sure he was more talking about PSU degradation, not future proofing. 

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

3-4? Try this year. 1000W PSU's are gonna be require for anything more then 4070, Nvidia is going down the intel rabbit hole sadly of just doing more power instead of purely doing a better architecture. These power hogs are seriously gonna cause some issues with 750-850W psu's, even the 3000 series already has had issues with quite a few 650-850w Units. 5950x+3080 id say you would want 850W, 3080 being 250-330W+ 5950x 100-150W + SSD's and fans, it should be under 600W, but some PSU's really dont like that. Ive had to recommend replacements of about 20 or so Systems because they upgraded from Pascal (1070/1080/1080ti) to a 3080 and the PSU kept failing.

This is all based on rumours though. We won't know the actual power consumption/rating until Nvidia launches it. 

32 minutes ago, Rauten said:

What? Do you have any evidence to back this up? I have never heard this conspiracy theory before now.

11 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What? Do you have any evidence to back this up? I have never heard this conspiracy theory before now.

Uuuhhh nope; to be honest, this is something I've heard/read multiple times, over the years, in multiple tech sites as well as this forum. 

I'm not talking about planned obsolescence or anything like that, mind you. I'm talking about the internal components suffering degradation simply due to "wear and tear" and thus slowly lose max wattage output as well as being less capable of handling huge power spikes and the like.

3 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Uuuhhh nope; to be honest, this is something I've heard/read multiple times, over the years, in multiple tech sites as well as this forum. 

I'm not talking about planned obsolescence or anything like that, mind you. I'm talking about the internal components suffering degradation simply due to "wear and tear" and thus slowly lose max wattage output as well as being less capable of handling huge power spikes and the like.

To my knowledge they dont loose much power output, but may loose some efficiency. Meaning they draw more power from the wall for the same output

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

The most important detail is which PSU you are using. If it's a bad one, don't try this at home 😄

24 minutes ago, BerkayZ87 said:

The most important detail is which PSU you are using. If it's a bad one, don't try this at home 😄

I am using an msi mpg 750w

18 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

So does this mean i should replace my current one?

I think, yes. You can go for 850W and better one. 

5 hours ago, AlexStarr said:

No. it's fine. Some things can be better on the PSU but it isn't bad.

10 hours ago, AlexStarr said:

No, neither of those problems will present an actual issue for you unless you want to use a UPS or something

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

16 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Always sad to see people who've been on a tech forum for years mindlessly repeating rumours and speculation as if it's fact to newbies asking simple questions.

OP your PSU will be fine as long as it isn't some no name Chinese unit.

During gaming your CPU power draw will be quite low, the GPU load will be a few hundred watts sometimes but there will never be a combined load of more than 750W.

9 minutes ago, NF-F12 said:

Always sad to see people who've been on a tech forum for years mindlessly repeating rumours and speculation as if it's fact to newbies asking simple questions.

Have you had to fix peoples computers at all in the past three years? The Wattage jump from the GPU side is quite considerable from 2000 to 3000 series for Nvidia. Its nice to be able to sit back and say things that sounds correct on paper, but in reality thats not whats happening. Corsair RM Psus from 650-750W ive had to replace, a few EVGA 750W, and a Seasonic 750W all failed to properly function with a 3080, 3080ti, or 3090. Most were using Intel systems, but two were using a 5800x and 5900x. Going from 750W to either 850 or 1000W fixed the issue. 

The PSUs worked fine with other systems, but they did not do well with the much higher wattage GPUS from the 3000 series, and the 4000 series is expected to expand that trend of higher power. Is it gonna be double the power draw? More then likely not. Thats not what i said, i said anything more then a 4070 is gonna require at least a 1000W. 

980ti was a 250W Card, with some tinkering the max it would go is around 300W unless you did some other power stuff to it. a 750W PSU was fine here. 

980ti / 1080ti/2080ti were all 250W cards.

3080ti STARTS at 350, and often most of the cards are 400-440W. That alone is at least 100W more, and could be 200W more in some cases, a 750W psu is no longer gonna comfortably cut it. whats 750+200W? 950, so a 1000W unit to me is more along the lines of what should be estimated for something like this. 

3080s are also 300-400W card, a fair bit higher then the 150-250-W  1080 and 2080. 

4000 series is more then likely going to be another powerjump as the new connector allows for more wattage, it wouldnt make much sense for NVIDIA to make a new connector that allows for more power, just to not use it for that exact reason. 

@Shimejii What you're talking about is a separate thing. Nobody disputed or talked about what you write about.

On that separate thing, actual power degradation can happen, but 3-4 years is a myth, it's something that happens after 13, 16+ years and so on. And not many people get to experience it, as most PSU would have something else fail first ( fan for example), and to get to that many years, a repair/replacement would have been necessary. And then after that a repair/replacement of the some of the caps can remedy this, for a few more years until mosfets start failing.