You can use a PCIe extension to keep sound card away from GPU in a mid tower case. (650D)

Eric Kazer

I used a PCIe x1 extension to space the sound card from the GPU. It worked. Thank you minors.

IMG_0719.JPG

System:

Asus Prime B560M-A motherboard

I5-11600K CPU

16GB Gskill black RIpjaws + 16GB sliver Gskill Ripjaws Matched color of slots

MSI Ventus 2 RTX3060Ti, room for upgrade

Creative AE-5 Plus Soundcard

Corsair 650D Case

NH-U12S CPU Cooler

NF-A20 200mm fan front

2x Noctua 120mm NF-F12

Corsair HX850 PSU

Pioneer Blu-ray writer optical drive

Generic Card reader to use SD cards

USB3.0 front panel insert for using second USB 3 header on motherboard

Switch for the side panel light for window

No rear exhaust fan now, that might change in a minute.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

18 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

What do kids have to do with this? /s

Minors were using PCIe extensions during the mining craze. I'm not so sure about x1 come to think of it.

2 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Minors were using PCIe extensions during the mining craze

Ah, miners. Gotcha.

Just now, Eric Kazer said:

Minors were using PCIe extensions during the mining craze. I'm not so sure about x1 come to think of it.

The noun form of "minor" is another word for children. The people that mine bitcoin are miners.

Anyway, what did you need a 1x extension for? It just looks like the sound card is placed in the 1x slot on the motherboard from the picture you showed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

The noun form of "minor" is another word for children. The people that mine bitcoin are miners.

Anyway, what did you need a 1x extension for? It just looks like the sound card is placed in the 1x slot on the motherboard from the picture you showed.

Based on the mobo and case, it’s an matx board where the x1 slot is below the top x16 slot, so they seem to be using a riser to have it set up below the end of the 4 slot motherboard.

Kinda smart if it’s all you’ve got to work with, but if power noise in the sound card was a problem being that close to the gpu, the ideal solution is to just not use a sound card and to instead use an external dac.

As stated, if electrical noise is a problem... external card/DAC/AMP.

At this point I'm using an HDMI cord out to an AVR (technically with a TV in the middle).

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

Based on the mobo and case, it’s an matx board where the x1 slot is below the top x16 slot, so they seem to be using a riser to have it set up below the end of the 4 slot motherboard.

Kinda smart if it’s all you’ve got to work with, but if power noise in the sound card was a problem being that close to the gpu, the ideal solution is to just not use a sound card and to instead use an external dac.

Oh yeah. I even looked up the layout of that motherboard, but I still had it in my head that 4 slots farther down would still be on the board because I've only ever built on full ATX motherboards. I think just placing it in the 16x slot at the bottom of the board probably would have worked too, but an extender isn't a bad option.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11