Aquacomputer Temperature Setpoint is a game changer for watercooling.

So a little while back I made the switch to a full custom water setup.  Complete with Aquacomputer Octos (more than 1), an Aquaero, a Flow meter, and a Ultitube with Leakshield.  With this setup came my ability to measure fluid temp via special fittings at various points.  Fast forward 6 months of settings tweaks and Ive discovered the temperature setpoint feature.

What this does is operate essentially like a thermostat in a car.  Basically as the fluid goes above the setpoint it will ramp up the fans to keep the fluid at the target temp.

So my system now is a Ryzen 9 5900X with the PBO limits removed so its full turbo all the time under load along with a Hydro Copper RTX 3080ti.  Cooled with 2 - 360mm, 2 480mm, and 1 - 120mm rads.  The way i have it setup now is the system is totally passive until the fluid hits the setpoint which, for me, is 40C.  This gives me roughly 20-40 minutes of system on time before the fans even start up.  After this they idle at 200-300 RPM which for 15 Noctua NF-F12s is silent.

When you load up a game naturally the fluid will heat up, but the fans will also ramp up (slowly) to keep the temp of the fluid at 40C.  What does this mean for CPU/GPU temps you may ask.  Well.... My 3080ti typically runs at 65C on the hotspot, 55c on the memory and core.  and the 5900X being the toasty boi it is can spike up to 75C but normally chills at 65C.

Why keep the fluid so warm you may ask as I could set the setpoint to 35 or 30C and have a much cooler system.  For me the answer is simply noise.  I want my computer silent when Im watching movies or playing light games/working.  But its ok for it to make some noise while gaming.

The most demanding game I can think of recently playing is Cyberpunk 2077.  The fans reached 1K RPM (1200 is the peak) and still I barely noticed because the ramp up is so gradual.  I only notice my fans now after I stop gaming.  Because they take so long to get to steady state they get lost in the noise floor.

Its also worth pointing out that the temp setpoint is built in functionality on the Octo, and the Aquaero.  So you could use this for air cooling, though I dont think it would be that much of a game changer.  Finally, you can also use the temp setpoint to control pump speed, and I do.  My setpoint for the pump is 42C.  So on the rare occasion where I swap games and the fluid temp swings to fast for the normal fan ramp to keep up the pump can help spread the heat more evenly.  Other than that I dont see a difference running it at 100% vs. idle all the time, so it runs at idle.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Can also be achieved by using a regular 2-pin temperature probe and a suitable header on the motherboard of most Asus boards. Setting fancurve off T_sensor1 allows you to do the same in an OS agnostic and software independent way that only sets up back the cost of a temperature header.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Can also be achieved by using a regular 2-pin temperature probe and a suitable header on the motherboard of most Asus boards. Setting fancurve off T_sensor1 allows you to do the same in an OS agnostic and software independent way that only sets up back the cost of a temperature header.

The Aquaero is effectively its own system.  Once you set it up it just does its thing as long as it has power.  So, yea I guess for setup you need a windows PC.  For actual operation you only need to power it.

I have an Asrock board I really like so I needed another solution.  That and I have like 8 temp probes now so i needed something more anyways.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

This.  Mid-higher end mobos may have some sort of temperature probe pins that their fan settings can utilize, or you can duplicate the functionality with Poweradjust if you don't want to buy a whole Aquaero.  

Personally I try to maintain 45C water temperature which is about all I can do with 600W on a 240mm rad.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This.  Mid-higher end mobos may have some sort of temperature probe pins that their fan settings can utilize, or you can duplicate the functionality with Poweradjust if you don't want to buy a whole Aquaero.  

Personally I try to maintain 45C water temperature which is about all I can do with 600W on a 240mm rad.  

My  Asrock B550 Steel Legend has no such header.  Even if it did I need more than 1.  My Aquaero is setup to monitor rear and top exhaust air temps, as well as bottom, side, and front intake air temps.  Combined with 3 different water temp readings from various areas in my loop and the flow sensor its a lot to connect.

It is worth noting that along with the Poweradjust this functionality is also on their D5 NEXT Pump and the Octo (i have 2 of them).

That said now that it is setup it runs everything independent to my system.  Soon as it gets power it does its thing and it no longer needs to connect over USB (or otherwise) in any way.  This means it is actively monitoring temps and fans etc. before the system POSTs and doesnt need an OS or drivers or anything to help feed it data.  If Windows shits a brick I have peace of mind that at least its not feeding bad data to fan control software or that the header on the motherboard magically configured itself wrong.  I have had that last one happen before and it killed a fan.

The D5 and Octo both rely on the Aquasuite software to varying extents and cant provide full functionality without it.

I will say the documentation on Auqacomputer's site could be more clear as far as which things do what and in which configuration.  Now that I have everything and have gotten to know it over the last several months I would change my purchasing decisions slightly.  I would have 2 Octos and a Quadro instead of the Aquaero for starters.  For my needs i dont require the standalone nature of the Aquaero, but its nice to know its there.  The Ultitube with Leakshield is a must-have for any build I do now.  I actually had a crack develop in one of my 5 rads and leakshield not only alerted me that there was a leak, but also prevented fluid loss.  This leak was on my bottom rad and would not have impacted anything, but the fluid loss was significant and I didnt notice right away.  Definitely would have burned out a pump without it, not to mention damage to the desk the computer is on etc.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

afaik not all mobo has 2 pin temp headers, none of my midrange MSI mobo have them 🤣

my quadro once setup done in aquasuite windows, it's OS agnostic (I do mostly run linux UNLESS I'm gaming) 

for my loop I only use quadro for

• coolant temp controlled fan rpm
  • rgbpx with adapter for my corsair xd5 pump & waterblocks

my new toys are arrived from aquacomputer, HighFlow2 & Farbwerk Nano (with both internal & external USB cables) 😻

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

22 hours ago, NorKris said:

mean while,,, ppl have been doing this with corsair cmd pro for years 

15 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

my quadro once setup done in aquasuite windows, it's OS agnostic (I do mostly run linux UNLESS I'm gaming) 

The Commander Pro (and I assume the Core XT) can save a custom fan curve targeting a temperature source (in my case, a 10kΩ probe) to hardware so it too has the potential of being OS agnostic once configured via ICUE. I run two watercooled systems using Commander Pro's (one system uses 2 x Commander Pros) with each controller using a thermal probe into the loop. In the case for the system with 2 x Commander Pros, although you can access the thermal probes across devices via USB; ICUE needs to be loaded hence why I have a probe for each Commander Pro.

Another feature I use of the Commander Pro is the "Alert" function. When the liquid temperature reaches 45°C, I ramp up the fans to 100% and if the liquid temperature reaches 55°C, the system is issued a shutdown command. Not too special but it gives me peace of mind should a blockage or a pump failure occur.

I see people with CPU's and GPU's plumbed into their loop setting up multiple temperature sources... why? The main item you should worry about isn't electronic, it's the fluid. It goes without saying that as a GPU or CPU heats up, so does the liquid in the loop. Using liquid as the indicator has the added benefit of not spiking like a CPU would so the fans aren't changing speed constantly. Additionally, once the loop hits soak temperature; it doesn't really matter where the probe is located in the loop so multiple probes make little sense and introduces additional points for possible failure (leaks).

My last point is using a fan curve for the pump... why? Varying the pump speed (assuming flow rate is adequate in the first place) makes little difference to overall liquid temperature - der8auer has a good video on this subject. Just set a fixed speed it where the flow rate is sufficient and the noise level is to your liking. I use D5 pumps and have my pumps set to a 50% PWM duty cycle - sufficient flow with little or no discernable noise.

the reason I sold my commander pro, is icue needs windows up for it to run custom fan & pump settings 

not sure if later versions allow you to save settings onto commander device itself so it'll use your saved settings once you boot into different OS

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

4 hours ago, Blai5e said:

The Commander Pro (and I assume the Core XT) can save a custom fan curve targeting a temperature source (in my case, a 10kΩ probe) to hardware so it too has the potential of being OS agnostic once configured via ICUE. I run two watercooled systems using Commander Pro's (one system uses 2 x Commander Pros) with each controller using a thermal probe into the loop. In the case for the system with 2 x Commander Pros, although you can access the thermal probes across devices via USB; ICUE needs to be loaded hence why I have a probe for each Commander Pro.

Another feature I use of the Commander Pro is the "Alert" function. When the liquid temperature reaches 45°C, I ramp up the fans to 100% and if the liquid temperature reaches 55°C, the system is issued a shutdown command. Not too special but it gives me peace of mind should a blockage or a pump failure occur.

I see people with CPU's and GPU's plumbed into their loop setting up multiple temperature sources... why? The main item you should worry about isn't electronic, it's the fluid. It goes without saying that as a GPU or CPU heats up, so does the liquid in the loop. Using liquid as the indicator has the added benefit of not spiking like a CPU would so the fans aren't changing speed constantly. Additionally, once the loop hits soak temperature; it doesn't really matter where the probe is located in the loop so multiple probes make little sense and introduces additional points for possible failure (leaks).

My last point is using a fan curve for the pump... why? Varying the pump speed (assuming flow rate is adequate in the first place) makes little difference to overall liquid temperature - der8auer has a good video on this subject. Just set a fixed speed it where the flow rate is sufficient and the noise level is to your liking. I use D5 pumps and have my pumps set to a 50% PWM duty cycle - sufficient flow with little or no discernable noise.

Speaking on your question of why multiple temp read points.

I have 4 points I take fluid temp.  GPU outlet, CPU outlet, flow meter, and the pump has a temp sensor as well.

I find this handy for a couple reasons.  The first it setup and troubleshooting.  Perhaps the fluid temp is low after the rads and at the pump but is high after the GPU/CPU and I want to more accurately control fluid temps on the part of the loop that matters.

Alternatively you can setup separate fan curves and setpoints based on the fluid temps in certain areas.  For example I have a rad between my GPU and CPU and having those fans target a different temp than the pump fluid temp is helpful.  If only marginally.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

20 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

Speaking on your question of why multiple temp read points.

I have 4 points I take fluid temp.  GPU outlet, CPU outlet, flow meter, and the pump has a temp sensor as well.

I find this handy for a couple reasons.  The first it setup and troubleshooting.  Perhaps the fluid temp is low after the rads and at the pump but is high after the GPU/CPU and I want to more accurately control fluid temps on the part of the loop that matters.

Alternatively you can setup separate fan curves and setpoints based on the fluid temps in certain areas.  For example I have a rad between my GPU and CPU and having those fans target a different temp than the pump fluid temp is helpful.  If only marginally.

wheres the dam pics of this pc...robing us...haha

i also have a Aquaero, 2x cuplex kryos next, 2x D5 NEXT Pump, and argb controller ill get the build done some day...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

First i have to say: Aquacomputer knows their stuff. I have an Octo aswell running 13 Bequiet! SW3 140mm and 4 Temp-readouts.

Watertemp before and after the Rads, Ambient Airtemp and Casetemp.

Aquasuite allows all kind of fun customisation and even a great sensorpanel:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8db100a11f316ff1e5c86413c3878756.png

I had the EK controller before... pure rubbish.

Aquacomputer rules.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

1 hour ago, alphatessi said:

First i have to say: Aquacomputer knows their stuff. I have an Octo aswell running 13 Bequiet! SW3 140mm and 4 Temp-readouts.

Watertemp before and after the Rads, Ambient Airtemp and Casetemp.

Aquasuite allows all kind of fun customisation and even a great sensorpanel:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.8db100a11f316ff1e5c86413c3878756.png

I had the EK controller before... pure rubbish.

Aquacomputer rules.

ya ek fed there up... i think there still trying to make it... i no one xmiss they were giving it away with an order over 85$... i almost got one but looked up a review and im glad i did.

only thing bad about aquacomputer is there so dam many things and cost alot... and there like no videos on youtuber for there stuff... i was trying to see how the desktop glow thing worked.. .

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya ek fed there up... i think there still trying to make it... i no one xmiss they were giving it away with an order over 85$... i almost got one but looked up a review and im glad i did.

only thing bad about aquacomputer is there so dam many things and cost alot... and there like no videos on youtuber for there stuff... i was trying to see how the desktop glow thing worked.. .

Well sadly in the Pc Space or in general, when people make good stuff, they know it. And sadly price it that way aswell. 
for me, i only use one octo that was not very expensive.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

4 hours ago, alphatessi said:

Well sadly in the Pc Space or in general, when people make good stuff, they know it. And sadly price it that way aswell. 
for me, i only use one octo that was not very expensive.

ya if you just buy one or 2 thing its fine but it makes you want to monitor everything that can cost hundreds. i just spent $120 for 2 top caps for the res... 

• 1 year later...

For me, the gamechanger was setting the fan curves to be based off an ambient/coolant delta value.

Easily done with the aquacomputer software sensors and it handles things like a high ambient temperature in a way that yours would not. It does become important to use the alarm configuration to catch high coolant temps though - to protect against excess coolant temps if your ambient temp goes ultra high.

I have a Corsair commander pro in my kids rig and it's a toy compared to the aquacomputer software's capabilities. CCP basically does the job, but not optimally which I would find frustrating.